Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here it goes.
I'm attempting to try cast bullets in my 45/70 for the first time. I have got some 400gr cast bullet (sized .460), I got some red wax lube, and have a crappy old frying pan. I melted some wax and placed some bullets in it. The hold combo is sitting on my bench right now.
Now my question: What do you guys use to cut them the out of the wax? I tried 45/70 brass but it seems to get thicker at the base? Any thoughts?

Seabass

G

·
I'm not familiar with the red wax method but I've use plenty of the inexpensive Lee liquid alox and that works good and sounds like less trouble. Just use a empty plastic tub with a lid and put your bullets in, squirt in some alox and shake it up good, then spread it on wax paper to dry for a day or two. BM

Bill

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Fair enough. I was just going to tell you how to make a cheap and easy heater so you could use your hard lube through a Lyman or RCBS type lubrisizer.

You might be able to drill a .460 hole through a board, break the big block into more manageable bits then use a dowel and mallet to punch the bullets through the hole nose first.

·
Registered
625 Posts
If you can find a piece of tubing .460 dia inside, bevel the outside edge and you have a cutter like the old "LeeCake Cutters" where many years ago.

Gun Runner

·
Registered
957 Posts
You're going to have to make it. I put some effort into this one before I found one of the old Lee cutters in my junk. The straight wall .45 cases won't work. Bottleneck .45 cases are so rare there is almost no chance of getting a fired one.

A 15/32 drill is as close to the right size as you will get. You need the hole a trifle oversized, anyway. Run the drill through a 5/8" rod, bevel the end and you'll have it. 5/8" OD tubing would be worth a try, but you'd still have to drill it to get rid of the seam.

If you get real desperate, PM me. I'll make one for you, but you'd have to pay for the stock and shipping and I'd have to buy a 3-4' length to get the few inches needed.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Seabass said:
Ok here it goes.
I'm attempting to try cast bullets in my 45/70 for the first time. I have got some 400gr cast bullet (sized .460), I got some red wax lube, and have a crappy old frying pan. I melted some wax and placed some bullets in it. The hold combo is sitting on my bench right now.
Now my question: What do you guys use to cut them the out of the wax? I tried 45/70 brass but it seems to get thicker at the base? Any thoughts?

Seabass
Take a look thru the plumbing box, got a bit of pipe somewhere? Ream with whatever you got, it don't have to be perfect. Any excess wax will shave off as you seat the boolit in the case. A lil' messy, and you'll have to clean up your cases with a mineral turps dampened rag at the end. But it works, {:eek:).
Cheers,
R*2

·
Registered
957 Posts
Seabass, I remembered something that might help you. Some folks chill the whole mess and then heat the pan just enough to get the cake of wax out. Then they just press on the noses of the bullets and pop them clear of the cake.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Seabass....I load a lot of black powder loads, so I pan lube all of my cast bullets. Here is my method:

I have a "muffin tin" with 6 openings. I place the cast bullets in these openings with about 4-6 bullets per opening, spaced as far apart as I can get them, standing up. I melt my bullet lube in a double boiler on the stove, and when melted, pour the molten lube in each opening until it just covers the lube grooves on the bullet. Then let it cool. Don't refrigerate as it makes it too hard to get the bullet out of the lube. I tried it once to hurry up the process.

After 3 or 4 hours, I pick up each "muffin cake" and use a popsicle stick to push on the flat of the bullet nose. Bullet pops right out of the bottom of the cake with the lube grooves fully filled. I use this method as I use the bullets as cast and don't resize in a lubesizer. You can still run the bullets through a lubesizer if you choose.

3 important things:
1) The double boiler cannot be used for anything else after this process. This information may save your life if you are married.
2) The muffin tin cannot be used for anything else after this process. This info may also save your life if married.
3) Absolutely will not work without popsicle sticks. :D :D :D :D

Hope this helps....

max

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So far I've mangaed to just use a old case. I drilled out the bottom where the primer sits and push the lubed bullet out. It works but is messy. The wax lube only takes a a couple of minuetes to harden back to a candle like harndness. The lube is rather brittle after all is said and done. I think I will try a different lube as this one I have to work with while it is still hot. 30 seconds out of the hot pan and then I can cut the bullets out. Otherwise the lube just breaks off if I wait any longer.

It took me about 20min or so to lube 10 bullets? melt wax, dip bullet, remove, cut/pick off extra wax. sheesh :?

I don't know maybee this is all normal?

·
Registered
957 Posts
I feel for you, Seabass. Getting started can be tough. Pan lubing is pretty easy once you get the hang of it and certainly fast enough for all the .45-70 shooting a sane man will do.

You're trying to make do with what you have, which is ordinarily my approach, but you have the wrong stuff. With the right cutter, you just keep pushing it down over bullets and lubed bullets keep popping out the top. You also need a soft lube. Pound of beeswax, pound of lithium grease and a quarter pound of parafin or candle stubs melted together works fine.

For right now, you might be better off with Liquid Alox.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts