Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With thanks to many of you, I decided on a Skinner peep. It's at home on a JM Marlin 336SS XLR. The front sight filing and fitting went perfectly. Other than the 20 degree temperature in my garage and my fingers feeling like frozen Oscar Mayer weenies :( - all went well. The pics show the need to touch up the black finish, but I couldn't wait! I think a touch of Rustoleum flat black might work OK. I went with the Skinner 'XA' Series to allow the convenience of an extra aperture. Recent cataract surgery has made me unsure of aiming a rifle with other than a scope.

Please excuse the dust. My table saw is my workbench at the moment....

Anyway, thanks again for all the advice.

- Smokiniron

Skinner SIght Feb 2013_01.jpg Skinner SIght Feb 2013_11.jpg

Reactions: Eli Chaps

·
Super Moderator
9,280 Posts
Success is a beautiful thing!

Reactions: smokiniron1789

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Nothing fancy? Good god, man, you have a SKINNER!!!
Shoot well, smokiniron, shoot safely. Looking' good, having' fun...

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Very nice.

I'm thinking of the same set up.

Keep us posted on how it shoots.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Nice!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DrMike....
Nothing fancy? Good god, man, you have a SKINNER!!!
You are too kind.... I'm happy because it was/is a real Marlin. Now, I can't justify, or afford it, but I'm craving a nice 45-70. Go figger! Marlin-itis! I need some range time!

Reactions: dpe.ahoy and DrMike

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Midnight Rider
Keep us posted on how it shoots.
Will do... But after all, it's a 'Marlin'. Any shooting errors are attributable to 'PEBTAS'... an acronym for "Problem Exists Between Trigger And Shoes".

- Smokiniron

·
Registered
132 Posts
DrMike....

You are too kind.... I'm happy because it was/is a real Marlin. Now, I can't justify, or afford it, but I'm craving a nice 45-70. Go figger! Marlin-itis! I need some range time!
I'm right there with you brother. I want an 1895GS so bad I can't stand it. Just don't have the scratch right now. My dad told me to just take a chunk of lead and lob it across my backyard to scratch my itch, but it's not working.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Nicely done. Next Marlin will most likely wear a peep of some kind

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Eli Chaps...
front sight, front sight, front sight
Erik, I appreciate your comments in past months regarding this little project as it relates to my vision issues. The front sight was a bit scary for a first-time installation. But, I used to do some precision machine work back in the day. That said, I never considered a 3-corner file a precision instrument. But, I was careful, made about a dozen test fits, and all seems OK. I made a brass drift from a piece of 3/16" brass rod. The fit-up feels as, or more secure than the factory front sight when I popped it out.

Yes, I WILL focus on the front sight. I ordered a 0.125" and a 0.096" aperture to start with. Hope I guessed right!

-Smokiniron

Reactions: Eli Chaps

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Nice set-up you have. I like the fact you can have the other aperture stored on the rifle with you at all times. Congrats to you. (And a tip of the hat to Skinner Sights for such a product!) DP

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Look real good!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rev Kane...
NO Doubt a fine shooter! good work.
I believe she will shoot better than I ever will. The 336SS XLR is NOT the most elegant levergun design. But, I got it for it's extended range, longer sight radius, weather resistance, and because it's a REAL Marlin. I shoot Leverevolution ammo from Hornady, and reload with their Leverevolution powder and polymer tipped spire bullets. In theory, I'm good to 250 yards on a Muley. So, if I keep it to 150 yards, I should be within spec on energy, trajectory, and most importantly, my skill set.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You will probably have to take some height off the front sight
Yeah... I got a 0.500" front. I'll tweak it at the range. Good idea on the bumper hitch vise.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts