Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, this is a very rural part of the country, but the gun show I attended has always been good for a few toys. Not this fall. The number of vendors was down by over a third, and attendance could only be called pitiful. Heck, I didn't get there 'til 10:30 and found a parking place right by the door. At the tables, I counted SIX old Marlins - yep, six. The least expensive was an 1894 in 32-20 for 795. It would barely make very good. I guess the vendor thought he wasn't going to have many sales, so the few he got were going to have to be big ones. I saw only one rifle that caused me to actually drool: an 1899 Sav oct bbl in 303 in excellent condition. I didn't get it for the cop out reason of not having 1500 on me.

I hope this isn't a trend! :shock: A fellow forum member told me of attending a show in another part of the country and saw basically the same thing. Tell me it's just a slump, guys!

All I bought was a couple clips for my Steyr M95 8X50R long rifle @ a buck apiece. I had the guy check his junk box closely, but that's all he had. The up side of that was that I was golden when I returned home for 'showing some restraint for a change'. Of course I hammed that up for all it was worth. :wink:

I'd like to hear of some decent gun shows any of you attended recently to cleanse the bad images of a gun drought from my mind! SW

·
Registered
397 Posts
I realize this is all the way across your state, then take a left and head north a while, but the Dakota Territories Gun Collectors Assn. show in Sioux Falls, SD is a whopper. This years dates are Feb. 12 & 13. I don't know for sure how many tables; I'd guess near 1000. I've been on a waiting list for tables for 3 years - still don't have any. I know it takes all you can do to get through the whole show in a day.
It's about a 400 mile (one way) trip for me. Makes for a nice long weekend.

WB

·
Banned
461 Posts
This is an election year, so sales are traditionally slow. I've experienced that a couple times when setting up during those years. Hopefully things will pick up when Bush gets re-elected. Otherwise if Kerry gets elected, then the paranoia of hanging on to your firearms was worth it.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Well we're in the same boat mostly around here! I've completely given up on the big shows at our local venue! They are 500, 800, or 1,000 table shows, and it's tough to find even one decent old gun! In fact, many times the number of tables with non gun, or accessory items, far outweighs the number with guns for sale! Many tables of books, beanie babies, jewelry, coins, nylon goods, etc.. and then there's the beef jerky, and clothing! If there are a couple hundred tables of guns at a 1,000 table show, it's a good show. I don't even attend anymore.
On the bright side, we do have a couple collector groups that put on small shows, where a guy can find something good almost every show. These shows generally are one day shows, and have 25-50 tables, but they are all guns and gun related items. They are inexpensive to attend, parking is free, and table rental is cheap too! I usually set up every month at the closest one, and although I sell a bit, I usually bring home more than I sell!
It's not unusual to see old Marlins, Winchesters, Savages, and single shot rifles at these small shows, and usually at reasonable or better prices than anywhere else I go. It's rare to see modern, or new guns at these shows, and gun parts are common, so I always keep my eyes open!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
the show I alway's attend is at Middletown,N.Y. at the Orange Co. fairgrounds Soime people complain but I find that it takes a good 4 hours for me to make my way through it and for the most part it's all gun related with lots of guns for sale and a fair amount of older levers thrown in theres a couple of guys there that sell junk but most are reputable and the prices are about right. I know this probably doesn't help you much but at least you know there are still shows at there. Shooterj2003

·
Registered
77 Posts
Gun shows in my area have gone a bit downhill too. The show put on by the Houston Gun Collectors Assn. used to be good when they had it at the old Astrohall, but they moved it to the new Reliant Center and jacked up the price of tables. That severely cut down on the number of local "little guys" bringing their guns to show. That's often where you found the best deals and variety. I hardly ever see an old Marlin there, mostly old winchesters. Lots of new guns there, though, knives and chinese throwing stars. Has anyone been to the "Great Western" show in Dallas?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
MM-93:

Sometimes those "non-gun" tables are worth a look- especially the jewellery and book tables. Twice now, I've found parts for Marlin front sights at jewellry tables- a "correct" early 50's hood for a 39-A, and a German silvered front blade.... priced well within my range too...

Book tables sometimes have old Gun Digests that are missing from my set- there is still a lot of ground to cover yet between 1946 and 2004. I have nearly half of all of them.

Some shows here are real stinkers too, with me only bringing home a box of old 22 ammo, or an old gun book- going is stil a lot of fun though. Personally, my " magnet " seems to work best at the small rural shows- I've found my best prices on some decent rifles at this type of show- usually 30 tables or less....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
335 Posts
Closest shows to me me have gone down hill too. too many "kitsch" tables and not enough guns. the one at Summit Co. fairgrounds is this weekend. My sister-in-law may want me to her to it, but she looks for Army related clothes&hats. More of that than gun tables. Only show close here that is a good one to look at is the Stark County Gun Collectors and unfortunately ,it runs during the weekend of our CAS club's annual shoot. so I have to miss it. Catch the one in March though..............Buck 8) :roll: :?

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
There's going to be a feeding frenzy at our collector's show this Sunday! I'm going to take my pick up truck full of parts, and parts guns down there, and dump it all! It's the last of my friend's estate, and I will give the fellas a chance to buy it at any reasonable offers.
Unfotunately for me, it's mostly semiauto Marlin .22 parts, and some pump action Marlin rifle and shotgun parts. Nothing that helps with the old levers I collect.

G

·
I went to the Virginia Gun Collectors Show a couple weeks ago, and saw some good stuff ! One gentleman who happens to be a member of the Marlin Collectors Association was there, he had a nice 1881 in 38-55 w/PG and tang sight for $3000. He also had one of the nicest 1892 32cal Marlin's I have ever seen ( it had 28" barrel) for $1250. He also had a 39A-DL in great shape for $1200 (I ran one of these with a Marlin brass ring scope up at an auction before XMAS to $700 and didn't get it ! :( ), this guy also had the two nickel plated squirrel rifles at $1000 each. Another fellow had an1892 32cal in 85% for $550 . Anyway this show and the "Forks of Delaware Colletors Show " in Allentown PA ,are the two best shows I've been to in many years :D ! The "Great Southern Weapons Fair" in Richmond VA used to be good ,but they have to much new stuff and to many trinkets :( .

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Our shooting club had the fall show this past weekend, and it was a lot better. Saw an 1892 Marlin for 325 (the barrel was a sewer pipe, but the wood or metal hadn't been messed with). There were several other Marlins for well under a grand. I bought an Italian cavalry carbine for 40 bucks. Now if I could scare up a bayonet... :D SW

G

·
Saw an 1892 in 32 at the Forks of Delaware show this summer :) Started to get it and reline but I didn't think I got the guy down to $ 375. But it was about 70% outside :(

·
Banned
398 Posts
One of the best gun shows I was to this year was the biggie in Denver,
Col. in April. The Marlin collectors had their annual show & meeting
there along with several other collecting organizations. I seen a lot
of old Marlins with plenty of condition. This is a big show & if a guy takes
his time it takes the better part of a day to go thru it. Also this show
enforces the rule of 80% of guns & gun related on the table. Also no
modern guns. The people who put this on are commended on their quality
show. It cost me a plane ticket & 2 days logding but it was worth it to
meet some of my fellow Marlin collectors & see their goodies. This is one
show that is on "must see" list every year.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Sorry to hear about some of you guys gun shows falling off.

I went to the Dallas Gun Collectors Association show held in Market Hall in Dallas a couple of weeks ago. I am glad to report the show was a good one as usual. I am guessing about the number of tables but would estimate 800 to 1000 tables and yes it has it's share of the junk tables as well. (Bennie babies and such)

The show is real good for having a large assortment of Colt's and Winchester's. Not so many Marlin's this time but some.

It had a large number of the type guns Marlinman93 is famous far. Real nice single shots.

They have this show 4 times a year and the tables are kept by the same venders year after year. I have a friend that is a Colt and Winchester collector that has had the same tables for the past 7 years are so. Boy does he have some nice collectables. To high dollar for me although I have bought 6 from him.

Hope your shows pick up but if they don't come on into Dallas. Next show November 27 and 28th. They are scheduled through 2008.

Check it out at www.dallasarms.com

1 - 14 of 14 Posts