Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the local GS to do a little gun tradin' yesterday. They had a new Marlin 18.5 inch 30-30, with a brown laminate stock that I wanted to see.
We hemmed and hawed and talked about Marlins in general. The buttstock, on this new one, in spots was 1/16th of an inch from the metal. The guy could see I was
diappointed. But he knew my fondness for Marlins. He said to hang on that he had something in the back he was saving for a kid that might come
in looking for a first rifle. My mouth began to water as soon as he came through the door. It was hard used, missing half the screws. Someone had
whacked off the buttstock and put a whiteline rubber shotgun pad on it. So old that the rubber was harder than the steel in the reciever. The saddle
ring was missing. But he put in my hands a 1968 saddlering Texan in 30-30. Straight stock, round lever and all. Of course that is what I left with.

Now begins the process of rebuilding this thing. I am so excited.

However, I don't know where to go for the saddle ring. I can find the other pieces. Anybody have knowledge of where to get a real Marlin brass saddlering?

Rankin

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Congratulations on the rescue.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Lol this one made me laughs, first of all congrats to your new rifle!
I have to say though how this perfectly illustrates the attitude out there towards the "new marlins" (not at all specifically talking about the original poster in this thread but more about the general REP Marlin fear at there).
I can just imagine the conversation...oh man..look at this new Marlin...the fit and finish is just awful, look at that metal to wood fit....well wait a minute...I got something for you.....here..an old Marlin, rusty, with no screws..and with the stock broken off...but hey...if you look carefully under the patina of rust through the scratches and dings....there is a JM stamp on it....you know what that means right? Ofc...it's Maaaagic.......way better than that new false Marlin with the 1/16th of an inch at spots gaps in the wood/metal fit....

But i understand the point of a reclamation project, one day i will do something like that as well.

·
Premium Member
15,449 Posts
:tee:

·
Banned
3,908 Posts
Marlin saddle rings can be found fairly commonly on Ebay.
You might wish to search for the part on Numrich gun parts website.

Ive never made a purchase from the below site, but it might be of some assistance to you.

Gun-parts.com/marlin/
$25

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
IMHO, you bought the right one. If you are going to rebuild, you might as well go with a classic. At least your pick has the DNA to come out nice.

Good luck,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts