Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the hornady #2610 (6.5/.264 100 gr softpoint) out of my 260 Rem at 2900 fps will go clean through a 5" diameter hardwood at 100 yds.

I don't normally shoot poor ol trees, its a long story, I shot a doe last Nov at dusk and the sucker just galloped off. I couldn't find him that night and got ticked off that I had "missed". (He was recovered in perfect condition by me at dawn the next morning). Or rather, SHE was recovered the next morning. Anyhow the light was fading fast, I couldn't find the damn deer ;D so thinking my scope or gun was jacked up I got back in my stand to check the zero. I picked out a white spot on a tree and fired away. It was months later before I went back up to look at the tree but sure nuff there was a hole clean through it.

Maybe a lot of people already know about how bullets can go through trees, but I was really surprised. I figured the soft points wouldn't make it.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
That 6.5 bullet is very high on the SD scale, pretty similar to a 225gr 338 bullet. They are known for their penetration! I just picked up my first 6.5 (a 264WM)... Can't wait to do some penetration tests. Scotty

1 - 2 of 2 Posts