Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all: I purchased a new model 60sn from a big box store in March new in the box. I am wondering when and where it was made. the serial number area starts with MM followed by 12 xxx then J and a proof mark. Can anyone take a stab at this for me please? thanks

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
MM= 2000 (Roman numeral) + 12 = 2012? How's that for a stab? (Actually I've been told the numbers after MM do not indicate year of manufacture)

Look on the left side of the barrel near the receiver for a Remington date code. The J in the serial number might stand for 2014.

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/questions/barrelcodes/

Reactions: BFPGW and oldfart64

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks P-bass, I read that MM meant Marlin Manufacture. I had just read today that after 2000 Marlin had reverted to the first two digits being the year of manufacture, but if that is true hadn't marlin ceased manufacture on its own, and my rifle was made in Kentucky of Marlin manufacture parts. I will look at your link above on the whole J issue.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
After 2000 the serial number dating was pretty much the same, but to clarify, rather than subtract from 100 (eg 100 - 24 = '76), you subtract the first two digits from 2100. eg 98xxxxxx = 2002
Around 2011 Marlin serial numbers started with "MR" which I thought might mean "Marlin Remington," then around 2013 the "MM" appeared. I don't know if the new serial number system has been definitively deciphered, but I've heard the Remington date codes do appear on the barrel, left side, near the receiver.

oldfart, does it have a Remington date code on the barrel?

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Thank you for clearing that up.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
MM is candy coated chocolate . I thought every body knew that. Any way you got a great little 22.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I thought mm was from some assinine european numbering system libertards tried to foist upon the american people to try to force us all to be more like libertards.

It seemed to have failed miserably like most libertard ideas.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
It sounds like some of y'all are being a little too hard on all remlins. I don't like what I see but haven't used one so I'm trying to reserve judgment. I may never be able to judge.

·
Registered
416 Posts
The new model 60s are good rifles. I have a Remlin model 60 I bought brand new in February of 2013 and its been a great rifle so far. Are the new ones as good as a the older real Marlins?... NO... but the new model 60s are still good. The lever guns though is a different story from what I have heard and seen but maybe they got it straightened out finally.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts