Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Not So Urban Rifle" by Ashley Emerson - 336CB on tactical rifle course!

Take a 336CB on a tactical rifle course? No way would be the response by many I reckon, along with some eye rolling, snickering, grumbling, etc. ;D

But that is exactly what Ashley Emerson did and he wrote an article about it. For those who are unaware, Ashley Emerson was the founder of what we now know today as XS Sights. When I first got into Marlins everyone wanted an AO Sight.

It's a good article and makes us think twice about some of our impressions and ideas. It's a pretty old article but still a good one. :)

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/thunder_ranch.htm

·
Registered
461 Posts
Re: "Not So Urban Rifle" by Ashley Emerson - 336CB on tactical rifle course!

Nice read Erik, thanks for sharing that.

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts

Eli Chaps said:
Take a 336CB on a tactical rifle course?
Actually I also did just that. 100yard and less LEO based course, and my 336SS kept up just fine and was just as accurate as the AR's. Although it did blow bigger holes and make a much more impressive hit on distant steel to compensate for limited capacity. By the end of the day, nobody was second guessing my choice. Bloody fun too. :)

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thren68 said:
Actually I also did just that. 100yard and less LEO based course, and my 336SS kept up just fine and was just as accurate as the AR's. Although it did blow bigger holes and make a much more impressive hit on distant steel to compensate for limited capacity. By the end of the day, nobody was second guessing my choice. Bloody fun too. :)
That sounds like a ton of fun!

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts

"Thinking the extra round of capacity and the extra weight of an octagon barrel might help further with the already mild recoil (and because I didn't have one in .30-30) I trotted down to the local gun store and bought an off the shelf Marlin 336 Cowboy in .30-30."

I gotta chuckle outta that. Where ya gonna trot down to the local bangstick store and find an octagon barreled 30-30 these days? ;D

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

LT said:
"Thinking the extra round of capacity and the extra weight of an octagon barrel might help further with the already mild recoil (and because I didn't have one in .30-30) I trotted down to the local gun store and bought an off the shelf Marlin 336 Cowboy in .30-30."

I gotta chuckle outta that. Where ya gonna trot down to the local bangstick store and find an octagon barreled 30-30 these days? ;D
Yep, them days has long passed... :-\

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts

An 1894CSS wouldn't be a bad option. You just wouldn't have as much down range as you would a 30-30.

Having said that, I want one of those :)

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts

Good article. A reminder that being proficient with what you have (like, or prefer), is in many cases, good enough. Doesn't sound like there was really alot of shortcomings other than mag capacity. Learning to top off, is just another skill that I practice at every range session with my levers. Going to have to add that site to my favorites.

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Pat/Rick said:
Good article. A reminder that being proficient with what you have (like, or prefer), is in many cases, good enough. Doesn't sound like there was really alot of shortcomings other than mag capacity. Learning to top off, is just another skill that I practice at every range session with my levers. Going to have to add that site to my favorites.
There's a lot of good/entertaining articles on Paco' site.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts

Eli Chaps said:
There's a lot of good/entertaining articles on Paco' site.
There sure is!! I am finding that reading a couple a night is becoming habit.

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Pat/Rick said:
There sure is!! I am finding that reading a couple a night is becoming habit.
When you get through those, Mic McPherson has a few good one's on his sight as well. Not nearly as many by any means but good stuff all the same.

http://www.levergun.com/main_index.htm

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts

Thankyou sir. I'll give it a look.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts