Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well heck. I've had it for a couple of years and haven't done anything except take it to the range and back. Load for it, clean it, have a blast at the range with it. It's been an education and a lot of fun.

A buddy of mine just has to have it though - he's wanted this particular one since I showed him how accurate it is. He wants to pop a bear with it and hunt elk in thick timber with the big revolver. That's stuff I'd rather do with my .45-70 Marlin.

Me? I like the .500, but he seems to like it more. I think it's time for me to pass this one on, just don't seem to have any real use for it, other than as one heck of a plinker.

Guy

·
Premium Member
12,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't have anything in mind. Really don't need anything in the way of handguns. Lately I've been pruning down the number of firearms I own, sold 4 rifles and one revolver in the past few months, all were good guns, but I wasn't using 'em much, if at all. Time to clear out the gunsafe a bit.

Guy

·
Premium Member
12,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seems he was more talk than money, he'd rather borrow my gun than buy it. Okay. Guess I'll just have to put up with the big chunk of stainless. As stated, it is mighty fun to shoot!

Guy

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
M700 said:
Seems he was more talk than money, he'd rather borrow my gun than buy it. Okay. Guess I'll just have to put up with the big chunk of stainless. As stated, it is mighty fun to shoot!

Guy
How do you think that 4" would be loaded down to 50 special levels?? There is not a bear, or much of anything, that could survive a .50, 450 grain chunk going 900fps.........hmmmmmmm It'd shoot flat enough for 40/50 yds.......hmmmmmmmm :p

·
Premium Member
12,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like it just fine w/440's at 1380 fps! That's a couple hundred fps less than factory velocity. Long 8" barrel though.

The shorty looks interesting, but it's still mighty heavy for a packing piece. Until a fellow drops the hammer anyway. I need to shoot one of the shortys...

Guy

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
At our shoot we were shooting some of Grizz's 460gr loads thru Bear's Contender.....I'm guessing the fps, but maybe 1300 with the short bbl.....Grizz???

If the trigger guard hadn't caught my left index knuckle, it would have been just about manageable..right at my upper level of tolerence, I'd say, but manageable. The swelling in my knuckle went down the next day :oops: That's the trick to making the 629 feel cushy :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
Guy-I agree with your thinking.My 454 is a bit heavy to be packin around.I put it in my shoulder/Hip holster and ride off on the ATV and through all the bumpin around and stuff it starts to make my neck hurt with it yanking down on every bump.But without the weght,It would be a handlefull to shoot.I now put it on my back pack on the front of the ATV where it is still easy to get to without the weight on my neck..The fullhouse 454 loads don't bother me abit but I am loading some down to save the gun in the long run from wear and tare of the heavy PSI loads.

Like Tubby said about your 500-The 454 can be loaded dowen to 45LC velocity and be light recoil but still quite effective on game.I'm kinda in the same boat as you as I want a BFR in 45-70 badly but not many want a big heavy hard kicking(To Some) revolver like the 454 or 500 so I guess I'll just keep on truckin with what I have.

They sure are a "Kick" to shoot though..I love it..

Jayco

·
Premium Member
12,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't seen much in the way of "downloaded" .500 data. Anyone have a good 900 - 1000 fps load for the .500 S&W with say 440 grain cast bullets? Might be interesting... I like ttt's idea!

Hmmm... maybe it's a good thing I didn't sell the beast? Guy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts