Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, went into the North Skagit Spring bear damage control hunt w/6 preference points & was not selected for the 6th year. I'm gett'in over my Pout a little. I keeping remind'in myself that there are only 25 tags & over 400 put in for it. On the other hand, I am 70+ & burn'in daylight:flute: Guess I should be grateful for the dandy boar I got in 2008 (see avatar). Also, there's the gen season from Aug to Nov....but the springers are so pretty.

I

·
Registered
769 Posts
We had not had a Bear hunt in NJ since the 60's. In 2005 they had one and it was cut short. Last year our Bear Hunt returned. This was one of the Bruins that was killed that week 829lbs. also there was a 749lber shot.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Hey Stevo, NJ was waiting for me to move out of the state before they had a bear season!!! After 68 years, I moved out of Moorestown to the mountains of Pa. One of the happiest things that ever happened to me. Now I can shoot and hunt on my own property with another 53,000 acres of game lands behind me. I hope they continue to have the bear seasons. Did you get a bear tag, or have Sideswip's bad luck?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Well, went into the North Skagit Spring bear damage control hunt w/6 preference points & was not selected for the 6th year. I'm gett'in over my Pout a little. I keeping remind'in myself that there are only 25 tags & over 400 put in for it. On the other hand, I am 70+ & burn'in daylight:flute: Guess I should be grateful for the dandy boar I got in 2008 (see avatar). Also, there's the gen season from Aug to Nov....but the springers are so pretty.

I
I to am also in the winter of my life and am just happy to be on the right side of the grass and being in the woods even if it is only for a little hunt of some kind. Shot my first TOM TURKEY 21.5 lbs right after my 70th birthday, this year,72 maybe get #2.:tee:
:tee:

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Wow, What a monster!
We had not had a Bear hunt in NJ since the 60's. In 2005 they had one and it was cut short. Last year our Bear Hunt returned. This was one of the Bruins that was killed that week 829lbs. also there was a 749lber shot.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Sideswip, congratulations on the Bore that you did get in 2008!! In my area of Pa. we see a lot of bears, including in my yard along side of the house, except during bear season :vollkommenauf: and the hard winter.

Here is a cam shot of Momma and her triplets last fall at the feeder on the side of the house

MDGC0393.JPG

Of course, no one around here would even think about shooting a mom with cubs.

Jack

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey stevo..that's a toad of a bear! Makes my 300 #er look like a cub. Griz, I was RA 61-64 too then 19 yrs Reserve. Guys, all your pics are making me restless. Need to get back in the garage & finish the current batch of bear loads. Let's see: 45-70, 350 gr interlocks, 49.6 gr H4198 that'll do it...again.

Reactions: COYOTE222 and Stevo

·
Registered
769 Posts
I didn't put in for a tag Coyote. I tried Bear once and didn't like it. Whether it was the way it was cooked or whatever it tasted like crap lol. I have a Camp in Elk County Pa. I have been trying to move to Pa. for years. The Bride don't wanna move away from her family.

Sideswipe don't feel bad I never get the right week for my Turkey Permits here either lol.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Stevo, like anything else, a lot depends on the meat prep. My fav is smoked bear brats where I keep the beef fat down to about 15% fat & help along the dryness w/a pint of Pacific Northwest amber ale. When I ETsed the 7th ID in Korea in '64, 2 of the guys in my sqd went to 'Nam. Those two came back. Thanks for serv'in bro.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts