Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More rain, and the season is open....... I didn't get to do any work with the 357Max, but the 30-40 Krag was up to the task ( as always ). I shot a cull deer that had 2 little points on the right and one long spike on the left!
It was a head shot that broke the 2 point antler off at the base! He didn't go far....... about two feet....... down! I think I shot his Daddy last year! Last season I shot one with 4 points on the right and a long spike on the left. ( I think I posted it last year? can't find it? ) Both were dropped with in 50 yds of each other, so I'm sure it was "Dad", hopefully this is the end of the line for weird antlers! :roll:

Found the picture from last year!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RV Stallard said:
And I thought I was the "King of the Ugly Deer Killers".

I guess i got some competition! :wink:

Good job!
RV
Oh Yea!....If it's ugly and legal, it's mine! ( that goes for a lot of things!! )
:D :shock: :D

·
Registered
736 Posts
Hi reloaderman,

Big Redhead here. First post on the H&R board. I usually hang out at the 336 and big-bore boards, but I'm a long-time H&R fan...

You might think your buck is ugly, but that rack is attached to a bunch of delicious meat! I'm chewing on a piece right now - some jerky I made up last night. I know a lot of people that would love to shoot that "ugly" buck.

I have several H&R/NEFs. My first was a 16ga Topper that I had to have my brother buy for me because I was too young in '74. I gave $25 for it and it has killed more game than all my other guns combined, and still going. My wife and all my kids' first guns were 20 ga H&Rs. I've owned a couple of the rifles, including a RMEF 35 Whelen and a Whitetails Unlimited commemorative 45-70. Still have the 45-70.

Live well

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, there is nothing wrong with "ulgy" bucks, I've learned many years ago that you don't eat the horns!! Now I let the younger guys shoot the trophys! :lol: I'll take what I can get! :wink:
I'm shooting a Handi in 243Win and have a 357 barrel that I rechambered to a MAX. I have a Sportster in 22Rf that I love to shoot rabbits with.
Like you I started hunting with a H&R 12 ga. ( kicked like a mule...but I loved it! ) and started my son with a 20 ga. H&R. :D

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I shot a gorgeous 8 point (maybe better) buck dead in the neck @ ~100 yards this past week with Winchester Supreme 95grn Ballistic Silvertips...he didn't die. At least not right away, I went to look for him the following morning and some $#($*ing bubbas ran their GD dogs thorugh the woods and chased him off to parts unknown. What should have been an easy, straight forward recovery turned into a stomach turning deer season ruining experience. :? Next year I'll be using a .308 on deer and dogs. :evil:

·
Registered
352 Posts
SquirrelSniper said:
I shot a gorgeous 8 point (maybe better) buck dead in the neck @ ~100 yards this past week with Winchester Supreme 95grn Ballistic Silvertips...he didn't die. At least not right away, I went to look for him the following morning and some $#($*ing bubbas ran their GD dogs thorugh the woods and chased him off to parts unknown. What should have been an easy, straight forward recovery turned into a stomach turning deer season ruining experience. :? Next year I'll be using a .308 on deer and dogs. :evil:
Dogging Deer. The dogs are hunting cause the Reds are too lazy. Not my idea of stealth.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, we'll give it another try this week-end! If "ugly's" brother shows up I think I'll name him "Jerky"! :D
I'm going to use my 243Win HandiRifle this time.
Sorry to hear that story about the lost buck, I usually use my 30 cal, I guess too many years of hunting in New Jersey have taught me me to knock'em down and keep them down. I've shot deer with buck shot ( in Jersey ) only to have them run over the ridge to a barage of shots from other hunters! A good reason to hunt in Penn., or Texas! :(

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Reloaderman,

It's happened to other people I know, I guess it was just my turn. THis was my first year using a .243 over a 30-30 and I'm 1 for 2. I was batting a grand with the 30-30.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This week-end was good.......shot an 8 pointer with a nice wide rack! I used my Handi in 243 Win w/ a 95gr handload. The shot knocked him down and he flailed around for a few seconds, then jumped up, jumped a 4' fence and ran about 30 yds into the brush before I lost sight of him! I waited about a 1/2 hour ( at which time 3 does came in and ambled around for a while and left ) and went to the place where hit him......not a spot of blood or any hair! Oh boy......I'll be spending the rest of the day looking for him! As it turned out, he only went 40 yds (total) and there he was! Nice deer! I dressed him out, but couldn't find a bullet hole in him!
Must have been a magic bullet!!

:lol: :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts