Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't really a reloading question, but an ammunition question...

Natchez has some 5.56mm ammo on sale, some is listed as Federal/Lake City, and what appears to be the same ammo is also listed as Federal (not for duty use) and is a few bucks cheaper.

Is it just missing the NATO cross, or it's not loaded in gen-u-wine LC cases, or...? ???

Just curious.

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
The NATO cross doesn't really matter so much as the performance standards that come with meeting NATO specs. It probably failed quality control, that would be my guess. A while back guys were getting rejected NATO ammo made by Federal/LC that was chrono'ing slower than NATO ammo is supposed to (which is pretty hot). Or maybe they just did forget to stamp the case head properly, who knows.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I heard that federal has started to market ammo that is 5.56 pressure with new soft point and hollow point bullets that are 55 and 50 grain.Not sure if this is what you are talking about but it is gonna be in the american eagle lineup.I am sure everyone is fimilar with the XM and PD loads that are rejected for many different reasons.

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
samkat said:
I heard that federal has started to market ammo that is 5.56 pressure with new soft point and hollow point bullets that are 55 and 50 grain.Not sure if this is what you are talking about but it is gonna be in the american eagle lineup.I am sure everyone is fimilar with the XM and PD loads that are rejected for many different reasons.
No, this is straight up XM855, the description is the same, just with the 'not for duty use' disclaimer.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=FAXM855LCAC1&src=sim

It must be a pretty good deal... they sold out in about 5 days...

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
They may be simply discouraging on duty personel not to carry personal or extra ammo other than issued.

This might cause a big legal whoops if you shoot someone and it is found to be non duty ammo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts