Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never loaded ammo for an auto until now. Has anyone out there used hardcast (such as Meister's) bullets in their 45 ACP, specifically, the 230 grain round nose? This will be for my new AO 1911A1. Thanks!

·
Registered
957 Posts
We'll just pretend that you are asking for the former Marlin Camp Carbine in .45 ACP.

You don't need or want real hard bullets for .45 ACP. Bnh of 12 is about right. That's homecast wheelweights after a week's aging. you want .452 diameter. You are going to need to be careful to bell the cases enough to seat the bullets without shaving.

That's about it. Most .45 ACPs are cast bullet friendly. Sometimes you need to polish the ramp and/or the edges of the chamber to prevent hangups.

·
Premium Member
11,998 Posts
I've put thousands of commercially cast lead round nose 230 grainers through my .45's with good results. Excellent practice ammo. I generally use either Bullseye or Winchester 231 for powder. No great feat to get 800+ fps and good accuracy.

For max reliability, I try to duplicate the overall length of factory 230 grain hardball ammo. Resize the cases and taper crimp into the side of the bullet a bit, leaving enough case for the cartridge to headspace.

I never seem to need to trim the darned things. They're shorter than factory specs to start with, and never seem to stretch anyway. Real different from loading all my high pressure stuff. It is worthwhile to segregate the different cases. I don't mix Remingtons with Federals, with Winchesters all in the same box. CCI standard large pistol primers work fine.

I like the .45 ACP, very nice, mellow round to reload.

If you try the 200 grain Semi-Wadcutters, you may find two interesting things:

1) Great accuracy.
2) Feeding problems.

If your gun feeds them, or a smith can make it feed them, the 200 grain lead semi-wadcutters are another great practice bullet for the .45 ACP. Again, I generally use Bullseye or Win 231 for powder.

Regards, Guy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts