Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
I don't know how much you know about 1905 HEs in 32/20 but when you get it look it up. There are changes during the run of 1905s.
The early ones weren't heat treated and should be shot only with light loads. They use to sell 32/20 ammo designated for rifles and
the box is marked " not for use in revolvers". I don't have any new 32/20s and don't crank my loads. Just be careful of loads listed
for your 1894 aren't excessive for you 1905HE. I have never seen a S&W 32/20 blow but I have seen Spanish copies with cracked
chamber in cylinder. You can check out your 1905 by serial no. to find out where it falls in production changes.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Apparently the previous owner was interested enough to get a factory letter from S&W. The letter issued in 2017 states that the revolver was shipped in Nov of 1922. I did a bit of research and apparently S&W started heat treating these in 1919, with a serial number about 20,000 earlier than this one so it should be safe with modern . It will get mostly reloads, and honestly I don't care for hot loads, I just want a short range fun gun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.