Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went & got myself a new deer rifle. Saw what dmsbandit did, & after much research, decided to try it out myself. Only I got the stainless. After breaking in the barrel, I started trying different loads, as well as some ammo I had. Most of my groups are 2.5" or worse. I tried Nosler 165 BT, Hornady 150 SP, Berger VLD 168. The one factory ammo that shot pretty well was Fed GM 175, about 1.25" group. I know it's hard to advise w/out all the data. I follow the factory load data. I ordered the Final Finish bullets & plan on trying them when they come in, (~5 wks). I set the trigger at about 3 1/4 lbs. I put a proven Burris FFII 3x9 scope on it. Oh & took the pads off from the end of the forearm of the stock, which almost floats the barrel. Didn't make a difference. I want to buy some new bullets but I'm not sure what to try. Guess I just have to shoot it more...

I just had an urge to look at the crown more closely, & the smith messed it up! Its not even, like the inside chamfer wasn't cut all the way around. I'll be taking it back tomorrow morning. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Taking it up 1st thing tomorrow to have it re-crowned. I should've noticed it when I picked it up. Just goes to show you, just because someone says they're a smith doesn't mean they're good at it. Trust no one until they earn it.
Hawlg, I don't understand your logic. You wouldn't have a barrel cut bc the crown might not be perfect? What if one of your guns had a damaged crown, would you re-barrel it? No disrespect here, I just get what you're trying to say.
Hopefully I'll be reporting back w/ good news...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, the smith looked at the crown w/ his scope & said, "there's nothing wrong w/ this crown". I thought he was smokin crack. He said that wasn't causing my gun to be inaccurate. Then he looked all thru the barrel & found that there is no relief at the end of the lands, they go all the way to the end at the throat. Then he showed me another barrel & how they should look. He said he would re-crown it if I wanted him to, but he's sure it won't shoot different. I told him to do it & he asked that I just let him know how I made out. He did a real nice job on it. He said that if it still doesn't shoot well, to bring an empty round w/ the bullet & OAL I was using & he would cut the lands accordingly. And that should make a big difference. This is all new to me. I'll shoot it on Tues or Wed & go from there...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Didn't shoot it w/ 22 in. Went right from gun shop to smith. I made up my mind that's what I wanted, so I went for it. I'm off work Tues & Wed. Plan on shooting Wed. I'll post the results.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for your input, critters, I appreciate it. I certainly hope you're right, and I can't wait to go shoot it! What do you think about the rifling going all the way to the end of the throat? Do you think that would have a big effect on accuracy?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re-crowned & shooting MUCH better!

Finally got to shoot the .308 after getting it re-crowned. The first group was 1.1"! That's about a 250% improvement! I tried one load identicle to one I had shot before the crown was fixed & it shot 1", (3 shots @ 100 yds). I didn't write down what the group was before, I just wrote "no good" in my notes. I think it was about 2.5" or worse. I'm going to keep messing w/ different loads, but I'm happy w/ 1" groups for a gun I got primarily for carrying in the woods. That was w/ 150 gr Speer Grand Slam on 43 gr of BL-C(2), & it was rather windy yesterday. I still want to try the Berger 165 gr VLTs.
Thanks for all your help/advice, guys. Now I have to give the 'smith a call & tell him the re-crown job worked!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The same smith who cut/crowned the barrel re-crowned it, free of charge. He did nothing else to it, but he wants to cut the rifling back in the throat as he thinks this will help a lot. As of now, I'm not doing anything else to it, except maybe run the Final Finish bullets thru it. I ordered them last week, but they won't be in for a few weeks. Never tried them, but I might on this gun. I called the smith today & left a msg. that it's shooting fine now. I probably won't deal w/ him anymore. Nice guy, but I don't trust his work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.