Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this isnt the right place to post, but the truth is...this is realy the only forum i like. I know most of us here are big game hunters as well, so i thought id share an experience with my .308. Its a ruger m77 in stainless with a laminate stock. I was hesitent to buy a ruger, because i had heard some had poor acuracy and the triggers suck so bad. Well, i really liked the action and it was a sexy peice so i picked it up(to replace the remington my brother just had to have). I took it to my local gun smith and had a trigger job done, (turned out great) and put a Nikon 3-9X40 on top and went to the range. I sighted in with Federal premium 150gr. Nosler balistic tips and boy was i surprised. The gun acutaly shot MOA at 100 Yards! I couldnt beleive it, the barrel is not free floated, the action is not bedded, but this damn thing realy shot well. My hats off to Ruger for a job well done on this old girl. Anybody have any like experiences with M77's? Im realy going to enjoy this for the next 50 years or so!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Mr. Joe said:
I know this isnt the right place to post, but the truth is...this is realy the only forum i like. I know most of us here are big game hunters as well, so i thought id share an experience with my .308. Its a ruger m77 in stainless with a laminate stock. I was hesitent to buy a ruger, because i had heard some had poor acuracy and the triggers suck so bad. Well, i really liked the action and it was a sexy peice so i picked it up(to replace the remington my brother just had to have). I took it to my local gun smith and had a trigger job done, (turned out great) and put a Nikon 3-9X40 on top and went to the range. I sighted in with Federal premium 150gr. Nosler balistic tips and boy was i surprised. The gun acutaly shot MOA at 100 Yards! I couldnt beleive it, the barrel is not free floated, the action is not bedded, but this damn thing realy shot well. My hats off to Ruger for a job well done on this old girl. Anybody have any like experiences with M77's? Im realy going to enjoy this for the next 50 years or so!
Ruger used to buy their barrels from the lowest bidder. And, they damned near ate the green wenie for it.

Now, Ruger has their own Hammer forge barrel manufacturing facility. Ruger's accuracy is back like it was, when Ruger started.

When Ruger started manufacturing rifles they used Douglas barrels, building a good reputation. Then a cheapness plague settled over Ruger. It really cost them a lot.

Bill

1 - 2 of 2 Posts