Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, I need advice.

I bought two XLRs last summer, and both of them had quality issues, i.e., shooting low, which is apparently epidemic. I had my gun shop send them back to Marlin for a fix in Oct. I happened to be at the SHOT show in Jan., and still had not heard from Marlin, so stopped by their booth and talked to a rep., who said he would check on them for my on the spot. He did, and said they should be back to me in a couple of weeks. They came in separately, first the .338, which my gunsmith checked immediately, and found that it had the same problem. The .308 arrived yesterday while I happened to be in the shop, so the gunsmith and I checked it, and it too, was still problematic. After the .338 came back and the smith found the problem, he immediately called the rep we had talked to at the SHOT show, and the rep said to wait to see how the .308 looked, and if it, too, was still not right, they would issue a refund, if I wanted one.

I should add that they did not send back the same guns, but two different ones. Here's where I need advice: I would rather have the rifles, since I bought a case of ammunition for each of them before discovering the problems. I prefer the stainless/laminate configuration, so what I want to know is whether I should keep trying with the XLRs, or go with the MXs, or give up altogether and get a refund?

Like I said, I am not ranting here. I think that the people at Marlin are trying to do the right thing to help me, but so far it's not working out. The fact that the rep offered a refund makes me think they're giving up.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
A refund for a sight problem??? How weird. All that is necessary is to shorten the front sights and that's it!!! Or did I miss something?

Dave 8)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not iron sights. Scope. They both shot at least 3 feet low at 100 yds. Can't even get them boresighted. Even shimming them they wouldn't get to zero. It's that barrel droop thing I guess. We even tried different scopes/rings/mounts, to no avail. The .338 was hitting the dirt 50 yds in front of the 100 yd target. It took 4 ft of holdover to get it onto the target. The 308 wasn't quite as bad.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
This whole thing sounds mysteriously fishy to me. Something unusual is going on here.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How so? I welcome any help/advice. I am mystified as well. I have a lot of rifles, and I have never ever had this kind of problem before.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
I sent mine in for a refund, there are to many problems to get fixed. First of all, a new rifle shouldn't need fixing, especially not to the extent the Marlins are needing. I was lucky enough to find a good used one and I couldn't be happier. That is until I get the second used one, then I'll be happy x 2.
Whatever you decide, I advise against giving up on the rifle all together. It's a great gun, find a good one. I promise you'll love it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate your words of encouragement. I don't want to give up altogether, but I'm leery about finding a good one. That's why I was wondering about the MXs, there seem to be fewer problems reported with them.

·
Registered
61 Posts
cmdc said:
Not iron sights. Scope. They both shot at least 3 feet low at 100 yds. Can't even get them boresighted. Even shimming them they wouldn't get to zero. It's that barrel droop thing I guess. We even tried different scopes/rings/mounts, to no avail. The .338 was hitting the dirt 50 yds in front of the 100 yd target. It took 4 ft of holdover to get it onto the target. The 308 wasn't quite as bad.
I've seen reference to 'barrel droop' before on this site. I thought it was a joke. Seriously. I'm sure you're not joking, so a question for you.

What do you mean by barrel droop? If you hold the receiver level, is the barrel pointed (angled) down hill? It would seem to me it would have to be, to shoot three feet low with a scope. Assuming the scope is in good shape, not defective.

I"m guessing that, assuming barrel droop is a real issue, that means the receiver was bored incorrectly for the barrel and the bore for the barrel is not perpendicular to the receiver. Instead, when the barrel is screwed into the receiver, the barrel (bore) is at some angle to the front or face of the receiver in the vertical axis. This would be barrel droop I suppose. This would cause the barrel to point/shoot downhill when the rifle/receiver is held upright and level. In fact this is the ONLY way I can imagine a group of rifles all shooting downhill this way. If somehow the bore of the barrel was not centered and parallel to the outside of the barrel, then these rifles could shoot up, down, left, right or anywhere in between.

The centerline of the scope rings as mounted on the receiver, should be parallel to the centerline of the bore of the barrel/rifle. If barrel droop is as I've described it, it is IMO a fatal defect for the rifle.

No question, I would get the refund. I can appreciate the disappointment, but I would never be content to live with such a problem. I would expect you would have a very difficult time selling these rifles should you ever choose to do so. You can sell the ammo to recover your investment, that should not be much trouble at all. But if it were me, after returning these rifles for a refund, I'd just bide my time and find these same rifles on the used market and buy them that way.

Best of luck.

I'd sure like to know if my description and assumptions are true about 'barrel droop'....

·
Registered
649 Posts
SkookumJeff said:
But if it were me, after returning these rifles for a refund, I'd just bide my time and find these same rifles on the used market and buy them that way.
+1.

From what I've managed to glean about the barrel droop problem from others' posts about it, it's exactly as you described. Amazing that such a thing could actually manage to leave the factory. Don't they even test fire them?

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
I believe I would get a refund if it isn't too much of a hassel. I still think they are excellent guns/calibers but I would either wait for manufacturing to start putting out good guns or look for an older one that doesn't have the problems. I do believe Remington will fix the problem but it may take some time, Lonnie.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, for your input. SkookumJeff, you are correct in your analysis. That is exactly what is happening. Marlin is well aware of the problem, and as the title of the post suggests, I am not ranting, but really wanting to get some functional rifles. I am going to ride it out and see where it goes. The thing is, that we, being me and the gunsmith who is working with me, know what we are doing, and he is absolutely amazed at these issues. I was fully confident that after talking to the rep at SHOT all would be right with the world, but alas, it was not meant to be.

I am sure that the folks at Marlin are as frustrated as we, the end users are. I am going to be patient and am confident that EVENTUALLY, it will get resolved.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Well, as far as the folks at the new Marlin are concerned, they wouldn't have to be frustrated by these things if they would just stop defects like this from leaving the factory in the first place.

I've seen this in the world of kayaking gear, too. I watched two small-ish companies get absorbed by big conglomerates, manufacturing gets moved, and then they try to crank stuff out as fast as they can to start making money and they end up making a bunch of non-serviceable junk. Up until that part, I can kind of understand their problem. But then they take that junk, slap a decal on it, and ship it out to the public, and that's the part I will never understand. As if we're not going to notice! And then, in the case of my kayak companies, tell the reps to deny that there is a problem, even when you send them pictures of massively crooked and deformed kayaks. I mean, come on, you're going to ship somebody a gun that has the barrel screwed on visibly crooked, and it's shooting three FEET low? Or a kayak that is so deformed that you can't close the hatch covers, or you can't paddle them in a straight line?

I finally gave up doing business with both those kayak companies, although at least one of them did eventually get it together, from what I can tell, but by then, I was sick of dealing with them, and had found other options. I feel your pain, man. I would just take the refund, keep your ammo and find used versions of what you're looking for.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade...but...

I worked for years as a machinist, and more years as a N/C programmer/machinist. This is crap and there is NO legitimate excuse for this. There was a time, letting something like this slip through would cost a man his job, and depending on the industry, a career. If a manager knowingly let this go, his job was lost as well. What's happened here is they had a run of receivers that were bored incorrectly. Given the politics and business, this may even have been a disgruntled employee or three that ruined these receivers. Well, in a normal company they would be ruined. Scrapped out by a quality assurance process. Instead, the company has made a choice to use these receivers instead of scrapping them out. THAT is NOT good. Barrel droop. You've got to be kidding me.

How does Marlin let rifles get shipped with extra dovetails? Don't tell me they don't know. How could they not know? They know and have made a choice to let it happen, and THAT means they have NO INTEGRITY and more importantly, they don't care what the consequence is to the Marlin brand. Another intentional choice.

These rifles are being shipped intentionally with known defects. Cerberus is letting this happen knowing the impact to the brand reputation and consumer loyalty. One thing these MBA types DO care about is THE BRAND. You must ask yourself...why would they do this, knowing the impact it has to the brand?

Because...that is the plan.

Let me tell you, the good folks at Marlin, the folks we admire and depend on to make our beloved rifles, the folks who would 'make all this right'...are looking for work. Remington is running Marlin. When Cerberus moved production, they shed most if not almost all of the heritage Marlin employees in the process. Does anyone know...if there was even an option extended to any heritage Marlin employees to transfer to New York? I'm telling you this, because I've seen this happen in my industry. This has happened in my business where we acquire another company's product and take over manufacturing of it. I'll guarantee no heritage Remington employee, especially the movers and shakers in the company, wants to be STUCK working Marlin production. Most heritage Remington employees don't give a rip if Marlin continues in production. This is just how it works.

I don't work in the firearms business, but my career has been spent in manufacturing. It sounds to me that Cerberus has a quantity of inventory of parts they are trying to use up (liquidate) any way they can, otherwise these parts are called SCRAP METAL. I'm curious about these rifles with the extra dovetail. Is the rifle lettering in the right place? I'm curious if the company is trimming barrels down to slap together guide guns because these sell well? No matter, it sure sounds to be that they are getting rid of excess inventory.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Mine is Marlin is most likely dispensing with as much existing inventory as they can, before they shut it down. I believe this is the plan they have. The only thing I question is the time table.

·
Registered
846 Posts
CMDC! You right to be concerned about posting anything negative about Marlin as You could be Banished to the depths of the Rant! but there are a lot of us that have the same problem with the dreaded barrel cant that makes your gun shoot in the dirt at 25 yds. some of us have been waiting since October to get repairs or replacements from Marlin and still nothing. so if you want to get a refund more power to you. I really like the gun and caliber and I'm going to wait it out. VTDW instead of the RANT forum maybe you could give us a forum like maybe a place called New Marlin Rifle problems or some thing like that! to say we are all Ranting is kinda degrading and giving us a place the discuss our problems in our own forum other than THE RANT forum would be nice. Dennis

·
Registered
61 Posts
I guess I got on a bit of a rant in my previous post, didn't mean to hijack the thread. If my post is inappropriate for this thread and admin wants to remove it I won't be offended. I'm just astounded at this barrel droop issue.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
OFF TO THE RANT WITH YOU! :mad: Just kidding :-*

New forum idea:

"Marlin Fixes Forum & Tutorials". Or MFFT ;D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I like that idea, ihunter. Ha. I called my original post a non-rant because I am not ranting, just asking for advice, as I said. I, too, like the concept of these guns, so am going to wait it out for a while to see which direction they go with my rifles, and I feel the pain of others who have been waiting since October, etc., for word from Marlin.

Once it all gets fixed, I am really looking forward to shooting/hunting with these rifles.

Do the XLRs work as well for "brush guns" as the shorter versions?

·
Registered
440 Posts
ihunter338 said:
OFF TO THE RANT WITH YOU! :mad: Just kidding :-*

New forum idea:

"Marlin Fixes Forum & Tutorials". Or MFFT ;D
I think that might be a Very Good Idea . All I see lately is long threads with the same problem over and over again ,and I think Like Quietman ,it's going to hurt sales .Has any one asked a Rep if this problem is getting resolved ?
One likes to see if there is any problems with the current unit and how these situations are dealt with .
Think every one knows now what to look for with regards to barrel / reciever fit , and see where Marlin/ Remington is trying to make things right .Sure no one is waiting for just "YOUR GUN" to come in .

If we all sat on the fence waiting for the situation to improve and doing nothing more than the same rant , I don't see the line going much longer . Sales right now can't be all that great .

Think the ship should turn and we should all sail in a different and more positive direction.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Harry! I think you are right but I also think that there will be alot of new people coming to this sight looking for help with there problems and I think to if there was a forum on the front page that lead them to a place where they could ask questions and vent a little bit it would be helpful I know it was GOOD for Me! I agree that this forum should for sharing stories and load data and other great stuff about our great rifles. maybe we could put the new forum down by the 450 or 444 marlin form. I'm going to take a lot of heat for that last comment. Dennis

·
Registered
440 Posts
stykbow57 said:
Harry! I think you are right but I also think that there will be alot of new people coming to this sight looking for help with there problems and I think to if there was a forum on the front page that lead them to a place where they could ask questions and vent a little bit it would be helpful I know it was GOOD for Me! I agree that this forum should for sharing stories and load data and other great stuff about our great rifles. maybe we could put the new forum down by the 450 or 444 marlin form. I'm going to take a lot of heat for that last comment. Dennis
Blame it all on me as my idea . With regards to the new people coming on window shopping on this forum , I think I would quicky go some where Else .
I was going to buy a Mx , but not 100% sure anymore .
Dennis -I think your on the right track , so lets hear from the other guys too .
Been said " if you can't say anything nice- best not say anything at all "

1 - 20 of 23 Posts