Marlin Firearms Forum banner

41 - 60 of 129 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Just received my newest shipment of Marlins and I am extremely pleased. I'll post pics tomorrow since the weather here is awful! But, I received the following:
1) CBA 45-70 the 18.5" octagon bbl
2) 1895GS Trapper 45-70 16"bbl
3) 1894SBL 44mag with 16"bbl
All three look outstanding! Still expecting one more 1895GS trapper next week!
Very happy today!
mazer

·
Registered
323 Posts

Please examine the bore and let us know what you think. I'm curious, since mine was a mess. I have cleaned up most of what I consider land surface damage with pressure-lapping.

Thanks!

Reactions: mazer

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Checked the bores and all are excellent. The 1894 is a bit rough though when cycling, I notice it will "jam" if you do not firmly cycle the lever. Might just be because it is new....but never had a lever do this....so will pull the lever and see if it something there...will let you know!
A short time later!
Okay, the action was a little rough and hanging up...so I removed the lever, bolt, extractor and oiled things up. I THINK it just needs to be worked, the lever hangs up once in a while, but not if you are firmly cycling it. I think will be okay with use...I don't have a warm and fuzzy about it, but I can't get it to happen very often...worse case if the customer can't make it work, I'll just get another one!
I don't want to send these rifles in if they work! But, maybe I'm more patient than most!
mazer

·
Registered
931 Posts
Just received my newest shipment of Marlins and I am extremely pleased. I'll post pics tomorrow since the weather here is awful! But, I received the following:
1) CBA 45-70 the 18.5" octagon bbl
2) 1895GS Trapper 45-70 16"bbl
All three look outstanding! Still expecting one more 1895GS trapper next week!
Very happy today!
mazer
That's good to know. I have been thinking about the 1894C. If a walnut stainless steel version does not come out in the near future, I may just pick up a 1894C.

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
That's good to know. I have been thinking about the 1894C. If a walnut stainless steel version does not come out in the near future, I may just pick up a 1894C.
Just be sure to look the rifle over carefully. Fit and finish...but also shoulder it and check that the sight is on straight. Look at the screws, and all finishes for scratches and cycle it! I'm starting to check the bores now too...I wasn't doing that for every rifle, but now I am. Takes a few minutes, but well worth it! Save you a lot of aggravation down the line.....but of course, you REALLY don't know till you get it out and shoot though!
Good luck with the search!
mazer

·
Registered
931 Posts
Just be sure to look the rifle over carefully. Fit and finish...but also shoulder it and check that the sight is on straight. Look at the screws, and all finishes for scratches and cycle it! I'm starting to check the bores now too...I wasn't doing that for every rifle, but now I am. Takes a few minutes, but well worth it! Save you a lot of aggravation down the line.....but of course, you REALLY don't know till you get it out and shoot though!
Good luck with the search!
mazer
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Ordered a 336 Curly Maple...I have to say, it is a pretty gun! It's 30-30 and if you like the pale wood look it is a VERY nice looking gun in person..pics just don't do it justice! Kinda pricey for a 30-30...but guess it is what it is.
Here's a few pics!
x2v6J0z.jpg
LLZhPeT.jpg
QGx2vdA.jpg

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ordered a 336 Curly Maple...I have to say, it is a pretty gun! It's 30-30 and if you like the pale wood look it is a VERY nice looking gun in person..pics just don't do it justice! Kinda pricey for a 30-30...but guess it is what it is.
Here's a few pics!
View attachment 741767
View attachment 741769
View attachment 741771
Love the look of that, I think it’s much better that the pattern they advertise on the marlin site.
F617EDDF-42B1-444E-BF18-27F931FD3430.jpeg

I may need one of those....

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I'm still on the fence, I "like" it, but it is VERY different looking...guess my resistance to change is still alive and well!

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Love the look of that, I think it’s much better that the pattern they advertise on the marlin site.
View attachment 741885

I may need one of those....
If they would have left off the "checkering" and did a little staining or used aquafortis on that stock it would really bring out the beauty of the curl in that wood. It really would be cheaper and easier than the checkering and would be something to brag about.

·
Super Moderator
26,211 Posts
If they would have left off the "checkering" and did a little staining or used aquafortis on that stock it would really bring out the beauty of the curl in that wood. It really would be cheaper and easier than the checkering and would be something to brag about.
Agreed, more like this one.

6RCdMMw.jpg not mine but I wish it was as well as the pistol.

Jack

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Agreed, more like this one.

View attachment 745205 not mine but I wish it was as well as the pistol.

Jack
I wouldn't even go that dark...

I love Maple with Boiled Linseed Oil...

Really brings out the fiddleback in the wood, and gives it that nice warm golden glow without staining...

BLO:

One coat a day for a week,
One coat a week for a month,
One coat a month for a year,
One coat a year for life...

lol

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Well, went to a small local gun show and the only new Marlin I sold was........the Curly Maple....going to try to get another before the Charlotte show........

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Well, received two more GBL's from Marlin, both are excellent! Cycle well, no bore issues, fit and finish look good, bluing very nice, checkering...well...okay, but all in all very nice! I even ordered a brand new Rossi in 45LC! I'm feeling brave!

·
Super Moderator
26,211 Posts
Well, received two more GBL's from Marlin, both are excellent! Cycle well, no bore issues, fit and finish look good, bluing very nice, checkering...well...okay, but all in all very nice! I even ordered a brand new Rossi in 45LC! I'm feeling brave!

I've been looking for a JM GBL which I've found zip. I would never order an REP online due to their inconsistent quality. I'd have to see one in person and haven't seen any GBL's at any of my LGS.

If you would, can you take some detailed pics of one of your GBL's and post it up so I can view what their current quality is. I'd sure appreciate it.

Jack

Reactions: mazer
41 - 60 of 129 Posts