Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, Guys, I defected to another brand. An import at that. With a budget that doesn't exist I just can't swing the big bucks any longer for the Marlins. Enter the era of the Rossi. Was not my favorite brand until I started reading a lot of great things about these rifles. At $419 for a '92 in .45 Colt with a 20" barrel, it fell into a price point that didn't hurt so much. It should be here Monday and of course, the obligatory pictures will be posted.

On the average they are hit and miss regarding functioning, but with a little finessing they turn into sweet shooters. I already have the spring kit coming for it and will turn a new magazine plug from steel to replace the yellow plastic factory piece. At present I don't own a revolver to keep it company but that will possibly change. I had a Taurus Goucho in .45 Colt and I was very impressed with that pistol. May have to get it back from my cousin!

Anyone on the forum have experience with the Rossi '92's? Any bore measurements? All info would be greatly appreciated, good or bad.

I have also read that the '92 is very strongly built and can handle Ruger type loads if one would want to go that route. True or false?

Thanks, Guys!

Tom

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
In 1982 I had a Rossi 1892 in 357 Mag...That little carbine shot everything, was very accurate, light, no external safety/lock and it paved the way to a Browning 1892 in .357 Mag. Loved that gun too !

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was about to buy a Rossi when I found my Marlin I was looking for. Also have a shooting buddy that bought the Rossi 16" 357 mag for a truck gun. It was a little rough right out of the box. But he cleaned and polished the internals and he said it made a big difference. I read that there may be machining burs and grit that need cleaning up on lots of them.

There is a guy that specializes in them and sells a variety of parts and a tuning DVD. I believe my buddy used the DVD to learn how to smooth his up.

Good luck and put a little aside for that Marlin that just might fall in your lap some day.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have a pre-safety Rossi 92 in 45 Colt. Very accurate, fun to shoot. External metal finish is very good. Wood to metal fit is good (no big gaps, wood proud of the metal around tang area but not bad, I've seen worse on JM stamped Marlins.

The wood was UGLY. I refinished the stocks (photos are in the Rossi section of the forum. Pictures are under this thread http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/rossi-levers/118589-rossi-92-refinished-my-stocks.html

I've never shot really hot loads out of it so I can't comment on the "ruger only" type loads. It is well built and stout.

After a couple hundred rounds and cycles, the action is quite smooth.

Rear sight is crude and one of these days I'll replace it. However, it works and I can hit what I'm aiming at. 150 yards is the farthest I've shot it and 12" diameter steel plates are not hard to hit at that range.

Yes, we want pictures when it arrives.

Jeff

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
With modern steels, the Rossi 92 is stronger than an original Win 1892. Ruger loads are not a problem.

I have a Navy Arms 1892 that was made by Rossi and I special ordered it back in '99. 357 Mag with a 24" octagon barrel. That thing is stronger than my Marlins and I use it for 357 Mag load development. It's also a tack driver, being more accurate than my 1894C. It was a bit clunky when new out of the box, but I sat down with it on the couch and worked the action while watching a western on TV and it smoothed up a lot. My only issue with it is that with the stock ejector spring, it sends the empty cases into low earth orbit if I just jack the action. The Steve's Guns ejector spring is a future project of mine.

What with Remlins now and real Marlins skyrocketing in price, I have no issues at all with a Rossi. The new ones come with a safety on top of the bolt and the Taurus hammer lock. My 1892 has neither and is my go to around the farm gun.

Ranch Dog started his own forum for Rossi owners: Rossi Rifleman ? Index page

Rossi Levers

·
Registered
11,857 Posts
The Rossi Model 92 is a great rifle, friend had one in 454 (stainless) and it was very accurate. He did not reload and traded for a 45colt version. He has hunted with it using P+ loads, But I think he could get more out of it if he would start to handload for it. Looking forward to some photos!

David

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the input everyone. I'm looking forward to this adventure. Great to hear positive opinions from you folks. I like the fact that Taurus is now at the helm as it should help with the quality control. Now, if they would get rid of that hinkey bolt safety! That thing is just plain ugly! The pictures I saw of mine looked pretty good with dark finished wood, but I know I will end up refinishing the wood. Anyone by chance know what the twist is in the 45 Colt version? Don't know if my shoulder could handle it, but playing with some 300 grain cast could be interesting. (Perhaps painful!) My brass and a few other odds and ends were supposed to be delivered today. Oh well, guess I'll finish loading up my 38-55's.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
It is a copy of a 92 Winc so you know it is strong . 92 are copy of 86 and 94 are copy of the 92. I shot my Rossi 15 years in SASS/CAS match in 44-40 .
The Win. 94 action resembles the 92 and the 86 only because it is a lever action rifle. The insides are very different. I had a Win. 71 for many years and after working the action many times I just never had much use for the Win. 94 action.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Well, Guys, I defected to another brand. An import at that. With a budget that doesn't exist I just can't swing the big bucks any longer for the Marlins. Enter the era of the Rossi. Was not my favorite brand until I started reading a lot of great things about these rifles. At $419 for a '92 in .45 Colt with a 20" barrel, it fell into a price point that didn't hurt so much. It should be here Monday and of course, the obligatory pictures will be posted.

On the average they are hit and miss regarding functioning, but with a little finessing they turn into sweet shooters. I already have the spring kit coming for it and will turn a new magazine plug from steel to replace the yellow plastic factory piece. At present I don't own a revolver to keep it company but that will possibly change. I had a Taurus Goucho in .45 Colt and I was very impressed with that pistol. May have to get it back from my cousin!

Anyone on the forum have experience with the Rossi '92's? Any bore measurements? All info would be greatly appreciated, good or bad.

I have also read that the '92 is very strongly built and can handle Ruger type loads if one would want to go that route. True or false?

Thanks, Guys!

Tom
True!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts