Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my new Winchester 1885 BPCR last week. This rifle does not come with sights and until I decide what I will be using I wanted to do a bit of load development.

I machined a one piece scope base and mounted up the oldest scope I have in my inventory. Trying to keep it close to a theme of "This Old Gun". That is a B&L Balvar 6-24 from the 1970s.

I machined the mount out of strip of 3/8" dovetail mounting stock that you can get from Brownells. My favorite Millett Angle Lock rings were used.

So avert your eyes if you are a "traditionalist"

Many more pictures here:
http://public.fotki.com/Rberta...inchester-1885-bpcr/

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
You done well my friend, another friend has the same rifle albeit has a crescent buttplate. The gun is ten years old but almost unused as far as firing is concerned.

Good choice, I've always liked the sleek highwall design. Very nice looking rifle.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the Winchester 1885 BPCR rifle. Only made in 2001, and only 125 produced. This sample was brand new in the box. Serial number 94!

Badger barrel installed here in USA with AAA wood.............It's a beauty!

·
Registered
603 Posts
ive always wanted a high-wall. i love the color case hardened reciever on your rifle.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Very nice, those High Walls are soooooo cool. I brought one home a while back. The trigger sucks. It is supposed to be adjustable for weight, but I can't get mine below 5.5 pounds - the screw just alters the sear engagement. I am going to send my trigger group off over the winter to get lightened up.

More pics and info here: http://www.rugerforum.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=110049&sid=129578666b6888bb9ab9aa49905e4f4e

Have you seen this book? I plan to order one, I just never got around to it. If you already have a copy, what do you think of it?

http://www.texas-mac.com/Browning_BPCR_book.html

John Davies
Spokane WA

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I bought the book and then I bought this rifle from the author! The book is a "must have" if you are interested in BPCR. Wayne is a great guy and really knows these rifles. The only problem with the book is once you start reading it you can't put it down! And then, it's over............Waaaa!!

·
Super Moderator
12,191 Posts
Very nice, thanks for sharing. I have never owned anything like that but already have the itch so am already thinking "one day"...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
About the same strength as a Marlin 1895, but not as strong as a Ruger #1

Some load manuals do not differentiate between REAL 1885 rifles and the new reproductions, so some loads are much lower power than for the 1895.

But you don't buy a rifle like this to shoot 458 Win Mag performance. Lobbing bullets at great distances is what it is all about.............BOOM! (and lots of smoke)

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Beautiful High Walls you both have there!
I just picked up a Browning 1886 a few weeks back and love it. Only thing I don't care for is the serial number on the side of the receiver,wish they would have put it under the receiver.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Beutiful rifle. I have a Uberti High Wall and love it, but it's not the real deal like your's

1 - 16 of 16 Posts