Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would let you fellas know that Nosler is NOT going to discontinue the .458 cal 300 gr PP Partition from their product offering. They will continue to run this bullet from time to time but I do not know at this point when the next production run will be.
A big thank you to those that went to the Nosler forum and pleaded your case. Nosler reconsidered based on your inputs!
In addition, Nosler will be introducing the 300 gr BST later this year giving us 45-70 shooters 2 great bullets to use.

JD338

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Thats good news...the Partition is the only 300 grain bullet I have any interest in, myself. I prefer heavier bullets, but I will try the Partition if I ever come across a box.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
I know they felt a bit harrassed but I don't regret it one bit. I hate to see what may be the greatest 45-70 and .450 bullet ever made disapear. I will send them a thank you shortly. This bullet has out penetrated every other expanding bullet fired from a 45-70 in my ballistic buff. I do have something to test very soon that may give it a run for its money though. reflex264

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
JD338 said:
I thought I would let you fellas know that Nosler is NOT going to discontinue the .458 cal 300 gr PP Partition from their product offering. They will continue to run this bullet from time to time but I do not know at this point when the next production run will be.
A big thank you to those that went to the Nosler forum and pleaded your case. Nosler reconsidered based on your inputs!
In addition, Nosler will be introducing the 300 gr BST later this year giving us 45-70 shooters 2 great bullets to use.

JD338
JD338 what does the "BST" stand for? I've not heard this term before.

Tom

·
Premium Member
11,479 Posts
That's good news. By all accounts it may be the most useful jacketed hunting bullet avail for the .45/70...

·
Registered
787 Posts
that indeed great news. The 300 gr. part. is my go to bullet for almost everything out of my guide gun. Now I won't have to hoard my stash quite so bad. ;D

Mad Dog

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
K Williams said:
Which bullets are a close second to the Nolser Partitions?
The Barnes XFN/TSX's are great 300 grain bullets as is the 300 Unicore.Everyone that say's a 300 grain is to light is ignoring actual penetration test where the Nosler and Barnes XFN both out penetrated all the other 350 and 400 grain bullets including the 400 A-Frame...

Jayco

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jaycocreek is right, the Nosler 300 gr PP penetrates almost into tomorrow.
I recovered this bullet in the 8th water jug at 100 yds. MV 2200 fps.

This one was shot at 50 yds, went through 6 gallon water jugs, 3/4" plywood backing and was found in some old rags I draped behind the plywood.

JD338

·
Registered
787 Posts
Ya'll seen this pic before. These are the only 45-70 300 gr. nosler part., I've ever recovered from any critter. 3 from a zebra[750 lbs], and 1 from a kudu[finishing shot, 3 ft., in the neck]. Everything else, has been a passthrough.

Mad Dog

·
Registered
787 Posts
The first 2 I would try is the Barnes, then the speer unicore. I haven't played with a lot of different jkted bullets, because I've had so much good luck with the nosler. I haven't seen the need to go to heavier bullets, because the nosler has taken bear, hogs, and 7 head of african game, and I haven't found it to ever fail. To be very honest, I'll probably stay with the nosler for hunting what I can still afford to hunt. The only thing I'd play with heavier bullets for, would be big bears in Alaska, and Cape buff in Africa. Both of which I'm likely to not get to hunt anyhow.

Mad Dog

·
Registered
399 Posts
Mad Dog said:
The first 2 I would try is the Barnes, then the speer unicore. I haven't played with a lot of different jkted bullets, because I've had so much good luck with the nosler. I haven't seen the need to go to heavier bullets, because the nosler has taken bear, hogs, and 7 head of african game, and I haven't found it to ever fail. To be very honest, I'll probably stay with the nosler for hunting what I can still afford to hunt. The only thing I'd play with heavier bullets for, would be big bears in Alaska, and Cape buff in Africa. Both of which I'm likely to not get to hunt anyhow.

Mad Dog
Thanks.

·
Registered
54 Posts

JD338
Say what????

·
Registered
68 Posts
Can't stop us from dreaming...right? I also emailed Nosler about bringing back the 300 Gr PP. I was lucky and persistent enough last year to find a box on Gunbroker and was the only bidder, reasonable price too $45.00 shipped? Haven't loaded them up yet, saving them for a special hunt.

·
Banned
93 Posts
I've had great success shooting the 300gr .458 Combined Technologies BST in my .45-70. I've also been shooting it saboted in my .50 muzzleloader, and I'm not sh!ttin' you, I shot a 1" three-shot group at 50 yards with it. No other bullet has ever done that well out of my ML. I'm going to stock on them in case Nosler, C/T, whoever they are, changes their minds!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts