Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up what was described as a Danish Krag, but I knew it was Norwegian. It is a nicely sporterized 1912 Carbine model that was produced in 1914. Upon removal of the stock I saw a marking that appears to bea swastika, but this rifle was produced well before WWII. Has anyone seen a marking like this on a Norwegian Krag or know of it's significance?

Attachments

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your swastika is backwards, so it's not a NAZI marking. View attachment 885917 View attachment 885918
I didn't think it was a Nazi marking due to its orientation as you stated. I know that symbol has been used by many cultures for various meanings. Was curious if there was a reason why the Norwegians used it. At any rate it's a beautiful rifle.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
12,391 Posts
See images:

AC

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
See images:

AC
Thanks for the link I'll look through it

·
Premium Member
10,187 Posts
Sargent Schultz on Hogan's Hero carried a Norwegian Krag.

AC
John Banner / Schultz was Austrian Born Jew. He immigrated to the US in the 1930s. He was a US vet. who served in WW2 in the Army. he Appeared in several recruiting posters and attained the rank of Sgt. he Died in Austria while visiting relatives and is buried there. He had very strong feelings about Nazis. As to the Krag, he refused to tote a German rifle,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
John Banner / Schultz was Austrian Born Jew. He immigrated to the US in the 1930s. He was a US vet. who served in WW2 in the Army. he Appeared in several recruiting posters and attained the rank of Sgt. he Died in Austria while visiting relatives and is buried there. He had very strong feelings about Nazis. As to the Krag, he refused to tote a German rifle,,,,,,,,,,,
Thanks for the information. I'm unfamiliar with his story, I will read more about it. Another reason why I love these old rifles, you always end up learning about so much more than just the rifle itself.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
12,391 Posts
Sargent Schultz on Hogan's Hero carried a Norwegian Krag.

AC
I need to correct my post. Further research found that Sgt. Schultz carried a US Krag. Sorry, I was just a kid when seeing the show. I believe the Norwegian models magazine hinge swung foreword VS the US Krag magazine hinged to the side of the rifle.

AC

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I need to correct my post. Further research found that Sgt. Schultz carried a US Krag. Sorry, I was just a kid when seeing the show. I believe the Norwegian models magazine hinge swung foreword VS the US Krag magazine hinged to the side of the rifle.

AC
Norwegian swing to the side like the US model. The forward swinging is the Danish Krag. Almost bought one of those recently too, but that would have been a roll your own operation for sure.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Thanks for that. Very interesting indeed. His refusal to carry a German rifle reminded me of my late father in law. He refused to allow a German or Japanese into the house. After what he went through in WW2, that never surprised me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts