Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got rested up from all that driving up there... I must have put 7000 miles on my old Dodge on that trip.

I tried sharptailed grouse huinting a few times, but continual rain turned most of the limestone gravel roads up there to sandy muck. We only saw two birds on the entire trip- both were sitting on the highway shoulder where it is both unsafe, and illegal to shoot. Checking zeroes on my 52 repro and 94-22-M showed good results with the now familiar tight groups.

We fished quite a few places on the lakes and river sections of Grass River Provincial Park. The Grass River at the bridge to Thicket Portage showed good Walleye action on night-crawlers- they wouldn't hit on artificials of any kind. There were plenty of small jackfish (northern pike) caught and released all along the river system.

High water at Easterville on Cedar Lake pretty well killed the fishing. I did not see any grouse at all on the Napanee Bay road- strange as I limited out on Sharptails there last year.

High-light of the trip was a huge bull moose standing at the water's edge at Wekusko Lake. He was long gone by the time I got my old Nikkormat out and ready to shoot. I did manage to get a few Bald Eagle photos- will have to finish the roll of film and get it developed.

Best fishing action was below the Hydro Control dam at N. Moose Lake. Minnows had the water comletely blackened- every cast hooked jackfish in the 5 to 8 lbs. range. I wish I had a video camera- Jackfish feeding on minnows is a rare sight to see. The minnows fly out of the water with a big hungry jack right behind them- there was agreat deal of splahing and noise from about 4 in the afternoon until sundown. I would have stayed longer, but had caught more than enough fish for us to eat. We had a great supper of jackfish livers and caribou roast done up sandwhich style in gravy- I get hungry just writing about it! The freezer is full of jackfish- should last us at least a month :)

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sounds like you got a heaping dose of the greatoutdoors. :eek: Wow jackfish, freshwater barracudas, they're quite the fighters- delicious baked in butter.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The big ones are worth cross cutting salmon style and fying in butter with the skin on, and the onions cooking along with them. :p Sure beats filleting and boning!

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

1 - 3 of 3 Posts