Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
33 days until I'm sitting in a tree stand (or ground blind) in the North Maine Woods outside of Ashland.
Approximately.
But I'm not counting or anything.

This trip will be a .35 caliber week for me. My go-to black bear gun is my 336 in .35 Rem. But a vintage iron sight Remington Model 141 Gamemaster (in .35 Rem) will be coming with me in case one of my spots has good lighting and short range. And my Shaw Mark VII in .35 Whelen will also take the drive with me. This last one is completely unnecessary for the ranges/conditions up there, but I would be really stoked to take a blackie with it.

Marlin 336 shoots the .220 grain Buffalo Bore hotrods perfectly, and it's a magic deathray.
Remington 141 shoots 200 grain Core-Lokts just fine (better than my 62 year-old eyes through iron sights).
Shaw Mark VII shoots 250 grain Core-Lokts fine for the expected ranges as well.

Sure hope I can give a positive report in 6 weeks or so, but it's always a great trip regardless of the outcome.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Plant Mammal

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Good luck on your hunt! I talked to my buddy Marc earlier today and it looks like some health issues will keep him sidelined this year, so we will look forward to next year. We had a great time last September at the place in Oquossoc. It was great and we're figuring on returning next year again.

View from our lakefront cabin in Oquossoc.

Water Cloud Sky Water resources Atmosphere

·
Registered
972 Posts
I was on a moose hunt with a buddy a couple of years ago in the NMW outside of Saint Francis. I had a bear tag. It could’ve been my exceptionally good camp coffee but it was probably the partridge shot earlier that day and left on the table that was the bait needed to bring a black bear into camp.

Good luck with your hunt! Keep us posted.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
Nice recipe...not sure about the beef. I would only add it if I had company and wanted to stretch the bear meat.
Moose is probably my favorite wild game red meat, followed closely by bear.
Our venison here in the mountains is good, but nothing like deer from areas of cropland.
Good luck on your hunt....

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
A 35 Remington is a GREAT Black Bear weapon. Its a case of "enough gun" without over doing it. Its far too easy to carry a 45-70 and run into 200 lb or less bear. That can make a mess of things. :rolleyes:

Happy Hunting!

Mike T.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Good luck on your hunt! I talked to my buddy Marc earlier today and it looks like some health issues will keep him sidelined this year, so we will look forward to next year. We had a great time last September at the place in Oquossoc. It was great and we're figuring on returning next year again.

View from our lakefront cabin in Oquossoc.

View attachment 893840
I was in Oquossoc today!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I was in Oquossoc today!
Great little town! Ate several breakfasts and lunches prepared by the general store there. All were wonderful. However, the suppers were all served at camp and we're no less than awesome 👍

·
Registered
11 Posts
Been hunting whitetail in Eagle Lake since the early 70's of course the population is WAY down, I still enjoy the big woods. Never been bear hunting (not my cup of tea, have passed up shots in deer season, which was legal with your big tag until a few years ago now they require a $45 permit during deer season) but I would suggest you check out Maine Bear Hunt - Moose Hunt - Maine Hunting, they are well know...

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Been hunting whitetail in Eagle Lake since the early 70's of course the population is WAY down, I still enjoy the big woods. Never been bear hunting (not my cup of tea, have passed up shots in deer season, which was legal with your big tag until a few years ago now they require a $45 permit during deer season) but I would suggest you check out Maine Bear Hunt - Moose Hunt - Maine Hunting, they are well know...
I hunted in Eagle Lake in '17 for bear at the old Fish River Lodge. Beautiful area!

View from the deck of our nice cabin

Plant Water Sky Natural landscape Tree

Reactions: 84chevyk10
1 - 15 of 15 Posts