Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall, just moved up here not to long ago I'm in Sautee Nacoochoo near Helen GA. Anyway was wondering if any of ya are close by that know of any ranges that I could go shoot at around here. I know of one off the highway not to far can't remember the name its a ga state one I think. :vollkommenauf:. I love this whole area up here and unless I lose my house I will probably live uphere till I die. I love going up to the chat wma and taking photos and just sitting on one of the wood bridges watching my dog play in the water. This place is my peace! Anyway. Anyone be up for a shoot? I'd love to go as long as its not on a VA doc appointment day lol! Really wanna hit some pigs. But havn't found anyone with the patience to wait up for my broken ass lol. Added a few pics I've taken since I've been up here. I'm no pro photo guy and its just for fun so feel free to say they suck or that theyre good.
CARL (1 of 1).jpg 385368_10151196568111712_374594931_n.jpg 524862_10151366631086712_1032578019_n.jpg 405777_10151368818481712_1134743367_n.jpg 482598_10151365522711712_1684256333_n.jpg

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I'm gonna check out Wilson Shoals WMA (gun range) Anyone been there?

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Okay...tell us the truth...you went to an art gallery and took these photos...:flute:.!!

Darn good...I would frame them.!

That first one with the twisted tree and the lighting is great. The two b&w's are super...well done..!!

·
Premium Member
8,310 Posts
I think I'm gonna check out Wilson Shoals WMA (gun range) Anyone been there?
If ya go to the Ga DNR website, it should have a link somewhere that lists just about all of the outdoor firing ranges in Ga. My only experience with an outdoor range has been in west Ga off of I-20 and it was quite satisfactory.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for all the replys, I think the Wilson Shoals is the closest. Gonna check that out. I wanna run some lead down that barrel, I really wanna go pop some pigs.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No sir, those are photos I did :) I appreciate the positive feedback on them!!

Reactions: granpa52

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't know anything about ranges in Ga., sorry. Do like the pics, though. What kind of camera and lenses are you using?
Hey Ranger! Thanks for the comment on the pics, about a year or so ago I got rid of my canon 5dm2 (awesome performance but pita to lug around) and picked up a Olympus OM-D EM5, I was so happy with the performance of the kit lens 12-50mm f/3.5-6.3 even with the so so f stop and being a micro 4/3rds camera it keeps up with about 90% of what my 5DM2 was doing. The only 2 things where it falls on its face is 1. shutter speed isnt quite as fast as the 5dm2 (but the AF on the Olympus blows the canon out the water) 2.menu system is so clunky and takes forever to navigate. The image sensitivity is on par at 25k ISO for low light and makes for quick pics with minimal grain in low light up to about mid 9k mark iso wise. The best part has to be the image stabilization is amazing. I was never impressed with the lens IS in the dslr's you could get by it with faster shutter speed and iso or using a remote trigger and a tripod but with the multi axis stabilization its awesome and it works in video too. All said and done 5d would be the go to camera if I was gonna be doing some portrait stuff but for on the go its nice to just pick up a bag and little bag with camera and 1lens and head out. For editing I use Adobe Lightroom and always shoot in .ORF (raw). It also works perfect with my hotshoe radio trigger and el cheapo flashes. ashley2.jpg down the street2.jpg down the street.jpg
The photo of the girl is my fiancee taken with my 5dm2 (with flashes) and the other two are taken down the street from my house near Helen GA.

·
Registered
224 Posts
wilson shoals a is fine short range facility, about 80yds.

wk days are best to avoid the ar blaster crowds, although fast rates of fire are not allowed.

you must have a wma "stamp" or a GORP pass. range officers are there 7 days a wk.

maybe we can meet up sometime.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I like the pic with the horses, you have a talent with the camera. Thanks!
KyBoB
Thanks KYBOB started takin a few pics years ago after I got home from my first tour and was home visiting my parents and found it was a good way for me to unwind. Just got more and more into it, I don't always find great subjects to take pics of but somethings just yell at ya to snap!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wilson shoals a is fine short range facility, about 80yds.

wk days are best to avoid the ar blaster crowds, although fast rates of fire are not allowed.

you must have a wma "stamp" or a GORP pass. range officers are there 7 days a wk.

maybe we can meet up sometime.
Hey Gordie, thanks for the heads up! I think I have one of them things, thats the one you hang on your rearview mirror isnt it? If so mines valid to march 2014. My fiancee's dad and some family friends have property down about 15-20miles below ft. benning but its a hell of a drive to go shooting lol. Let me know when your planning on heading down to the range when you get the itch. I'm waiting on a top rail and a replacement part for my quick release rings for my leupold scope which should be here around 2-5th jan., my vision has been goin downhill for awhile now (low light) and its nice to see where your hitting! LOL. Have you done any pig hunting up around here?

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
There is a range just over the NC state line west of Murphy ! I use it a lot ! 2 bucks to shoot all day ! Hit me up and we'll go sometime ! John

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Hey Ranger! Thanks for the comment on the pics, about a year or so ago I got rid of my canon 5dm2 (awesome performance but pita to lug around) and picked up a Olympus OM-D EM5, I was so happy with the performance of the kit lens 12-50mm f/3.5-6.3 even with the so so f stop and being a micro 4/3rds camera it keeps up with about 90% of what my 5DM2 was doing. The only 2 things where it falls on its face is 1. shutter speed isnt quite as fast as the 5dm2 (but the AF on the Olympus blows the canon out the water) 2.menu system is so clunky and takes forever to navigate. The image sensitivity is on par at 25k ISO for low light and makes for quick pics with minimal grain in low light up to about mid 9k mark iso wise. The best part has to be the image stabilization is amazing. I was never impressed with the lens IS in the dslr's you could get by it with faster shutter speed and iso or using a remote trigger and a tripod but with the multi axis stabilization its awesome and it works in video too. All said and done 5d would be the go to camera if I was gonna be doing some portrait stuff but for on the go its nice to just pick up a bag and little bag with camera and 1lens and head out. For editing I use Adobe Lightroom and always shoot in .ORF (raw). It also works perfect with my hotshoe radio trigger and el cheapo flashes. View attachment 84531 View attachment 84532 View attachment 84533
The photo of the girl is my fiancee taken with my 5dm2 (with flashes) and the other two are taken down the street from my house near Helen GA.
I kinda figured that you were not using just a simple point & shoot....:).!

I looked up your Olympus camera....very nice indeed..!! Olympus has always been a premier camera.

My camera days go back to the 1970's when I was in the Navy, and I bought my first 35mm SLR...all manual, but that was the fun part of it.! Today I have a Canon T3i and it's also fun to use...digital certainly has it's advantages.

It looks like you have a beautiful area in which to live, a beautiful Fiancee, and a beautiful camera....congrats..!!

P.S.....ya take nice pixes, too.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Dont know much about ranges around you. But you are in a beautiful area. NC, Tenn, SC. All right there together. Head up in those foot hill and enjoy yourself. I want to see some fine pictures of the adventure. You have a tallent for the picture taking

Reactions: LT
1 - 20 of 21 Posts