Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what the story is on non-ported 444P's? Was this a later version of the original ported version? How many were made? Any information is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
15,945 Posts
stoutstuff said:
Anyone know what the story is on non-ported 444P's? Was this a later version of the original ported version? How many were made? Any information is appreciated.
All of the 444P's were ported at the Marlin® factory. If you find one that is nonported, it was a modification by a gunsmith.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a 444P owner tell me that at one time Marlin had an issue with the barrels on some the Outfitters and said that there were some non ported barrels produced after that. There is also a new in box one on an auction site. Was just curious...

·
Banned
153 Posts
After a year they went to non-ported barrels. Didn't need the ports cuz of the short barrel length. I just sold one in excellent condition for $400.(ported) And that's a deal.

·
Banned
610 Posts
I know there was a time when you could send a ported guide gun back to swap for a nonported barrel. And that you had a choice of ported and nonported on the guide gun for a few years before they went to only nonported. Never nknew there were choices for the outfitter.

·
Banned
153 Posts
Yes you could send it back to the factory for a non-ported barrel. And yes, they did have a run of bad ported barrels. I had one of the bad ones and sent it back for a replacement ported barrel. The issue was the stamping on the outside of the barrels. The stamping was too hard and caused a barrel constriction at that point. Not a major constriction, but enough to cause an accuracy problem. I went from a 10" group at 100yards to a sub 3" group at 100yards with open sights. And a better shooter could have done better I'm sure. With me tired eyes I know have scopes on my lever rifles. A sin I know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts