Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My newest Mauser guild rifle has double set triggers. I really like these triggers however this one is missing the adjustment screw. Do any of ya'll know where I can find one or should I just retap this for a more commonly available threaded screw?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I'd look for a gunsmith that knows how to make screws. Your screw is very likely a metric fine pitch that may require a spring to hold it's adjustment. It is probably rebated somewhere near the bearing surface as well.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

Edited to add- This should be a hardened screw as well to prevent it from wearing at the bearing surfaces...

·
Registered
148 Posts
you may find a hard stainless screw at a local hardware store to fit your needs.

I lost one for a Mauser I had long ago and couldn't get one through a smith. But my local mom & pop hardware store had a small stainless metric screw that fit. ....just had to cut its length down and debur/round the end. Kind of a turd to do if you dont have a vice to hold the screw by its head.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Like the DOC said,look for a qualified gunsmith. Unless you have a GOOD working knowledge of what you are about,you could cause more grief than good.Know your limitations,that area is pretty iffy for most gun owners.Nobody should take a chance on a bad trigger adjustment.Good luck.modoc

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. I think I will ask a 'smith that I know of to help with this. They also have been in business for more than 50yrs, they may have something lying around that will work.....

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Any gunsmith shop that has a lathe should be able to make screws. A lot of guys won't do this on account of set-up time. There is also a problem of the smith getting his money's worth from time and labour spent on making screws. I had to have a smith make a couple of machine screws for the action of an obscure .22- the pair of screws cost me about 35 bucks- a bargain considering the going shop labour rate is over 50 dollars an hour.

It seems that the older immigrant gunsmith's are more willing to take on this sort of job than the younger fellas...

I went looking at german double set triggers in my books, and it turns out that most of them use a lock-nut arrangement for holding adjustments in place.

You may get lucky with your smith- he may be able to find something that requires only cutting down to fit....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Doc,
I'm really getting a bug with these Guild rifles. There are currently a few online that I'm watching( this can be problem financially :roll: )
Most of ones that I see are well crafted and the stocks fit me (6'3") better than MOST of the newer guns out there.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Doc is right about the time. I sometimes make my own screws with stock from Brownells. It can take me all day to get one right. The one that took so long was for my Marlin Model 1895 Carbine that goes in the rear carbine band. The threads are on the same side as the head. The other side is like a plain shaft. :) I would go broke if I had to do it for a living. :lol: Parley

1 - 8 of 8 Posts