Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I may have gotten screwed on my gunbroker purchase of a Marlin 1894 in .44 mag. I took it out to put a few rounds through it tonight before I cleaned it and the rifle won't cycle. The first time I tried to cycle it the round only ejected 1/2 way out of the tube and the receiver was stuck open. Eventually my dad and I were able to get the round out. The second time I tried to cycle it the round came out of the tube but the feed ramp got stuck on the next round in the tube and now the gun is completely jammed with the receiver open. I am going to have to now take it to a gun smith to get it working. I contacted the seller but I have a feeling that won't get me anywhere. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
New or used? If used, what vintage? Did it cycle empty? Are you shooting factory or reloads? Once you get the round out, is it shorter or longer than it should be?

Definitely get in touch with the seller. Don't assume he doesn't want to know. Most of the sellers are honest, and will either take the rifle back, or spring for repairs. Don't assume that the seller knew there was a problem with it and just dumped it. Of course you will need to get the round out if before you can send it back.

I recently make a purchase and the rifle arrived with a broker rear sight, folding piece. The seller paid for a new one for me.

Reactions: GaCop

·
Registered
567 Posts
First off, check all your screws to make sure they are snug. I don't mean 'Godzilla' tight. But atleast snugged up secure. And make sure your loading gate screw is snug also.

I think most of us know what the problem might be and how to fix it. But another piece of info will help.

question 1: Using DUMMY rounds, with only ONE round in the mag tube, will it feed that round smoothly?

question 2: with TWO rounds loaded in the mag tube, is this when your jams are occurring?

Ifn ya got any questions as to how to further check it out, feel free to call me. 865 / 984-4455

and NO, I am not the seller nor have any knowledge of this transaction. I'm only trying to help you get your rifle running correctly.

..........Widder

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New or used? If used, what vintage? Did it cycle empty? Are you shooting factory or reloads? Once you get the round out, is it shorter or longer than it should be?

Definitely get in touch with the seller. Don't assume he doesn't want to know. Most of the sellers are honest, and will either take the rifle back, or spring for repairs. Don't assume that the seller knew there was a problem with it and just dumped it. Of course you will need to get the round out if before you can send it back.

I recently make a purchase and the rifle arrived with a broker rear sight, folding piece. The seller paid for a new one for me.
It is used and a 1978 model. It seemed to cycle well and smooth empy. I am shooting factory ammo( winchester white box)the rounds looked the same size

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First off, check all your screws to make sure they are snug. I don't mean 'Godzilla' tight. But atleast snugged up secure. And make sure your loading gate screw is snug also.

I think most of us know what the problem might be and how to fix it. But another piece of info will help.

question 1: Using DUMMY rounds, with only ONE round in the mag tube, will it feed that round smoothly?

question 2: with TWO rounds loaded in the mag tube, is this when your jams are occurring?

Ifn ya got any questions as to how to further check it out, feel free to call me. 865 / 984-4455

and NO, I am not the seller nor have any knowledge of this transaction. I'm only trying to help you get your rifle running correctly.

I didn't have dummy rounds. I loaded 5 rounds in the tube and it's the first 2 that got stuck and now it's jammed open with 3 rounds still in the tube.To me the issue looks like the feed ramp is stuck on the next round in the tube but I am far from a gunsmith. Thanks for trying to help

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not commenting on what to do in this instance vis-à-vis the seller, but on the possibility of fixing it yourself. look at this thread, for example:

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/1894/134880-name-jam-better-yet-help-me-fix-jam-video.html

My 336M jammed the same way, because the carrier would not go down all the way through the carrier hole at the bottom of the receiver.
That does sound like the same issue, did you send it to a gunsmith or fix it yourself?
I am far from a gun smith and new to lever guns. I also have a 336 that has functioned fine.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Did you remove the lever yet to get bolt out and ammo out?

Was this the gun seller said was a parts gun? Said last time out it jammed closed? Auction ended maybe a week ago give or take?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
No, I fixed it myself. The gunsmiths here are not taking any new work orders. It was easy to fix in my case. I radiused the rear of the carrier. I don't know if that's the problem you are having in your rifle, however. There are some good resources here, onsite, about the "Marlin Jam", this area for example:

Jams Of All Kinds

And an excerpt from my thread on the subject: http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/336/134186-336m-ammo-feed-problem.html

OK, I think I figured out what the problem was. I replaced the carrier with a new item, but it didn't fix the problem either. I then took the rifle apart completely and watched the cycling very closely. It looks like the carrier is not going all the way down and is not admitting a new cartridge onto the carrier. So it's not the magazine that is jamming and not letting cartridges out, it's the carrier. I compared this 336M to my '81 336C and I noticed something interesting:

The position of the carrier piece that sticks out from under the receiver is different between these two rifles when the lever is closed, and therefore when it should admit a new cartridge. The 336C which cycles properly has that little "key" stick out from the center of the trigger plate hole. It also sticks out down further than the 336M. The 336M has that little "key" come into contact with the rear of the trigger plate hole, and it also barely sticks out and down from the hole.

So, I decided to put the original carrier back in, but with a slight adjustment; I ground (radiused) the rear of the "key" rather than trying to bend it forward, so that the "key" now rests in the middle of the trigger plate hole, and no longer rubs against it. The carrier is now free of any friction and goes all the way down, thereby letting the next cartridge onto the carrier.

I just went to the range and put 140 rounds through it without any jams. I guess I'll call it "fixed".​

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Before anybody starts casting aspersions on someone without proof a few simple checks should be done. I personally wouldn't do anything with a new to me gun, new or used, without stripping and cleaning it. That will give you a chance to see if there is crud in the mag tube, gunk in the lifter detent, loose loading gate screw, etc., etc.

If the bolt is stuck partially open it should be fairly easy to pull the lever pivot screw and pull the bolt out to empty the rifle.

Reactions: flatsneck

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was able to get it I unjammed finally and get the ammo out. Empty the rifle seems to cycle fine but I tried it a few more times since I could unjam it now and the round gets stuck 1/2 way out of the tube. It sure seems like what I have read it is the carrier which should be easy to fix but part of me thinks for what I paid for the rifle used I shouldn't have to get it fixed??

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Quick disclaimer: Make sure that you actually have the problem described before you commit yourself to do some cutting!

Void where prohibited by law. Restrictions may apply. No purchase necessary.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The only thing that makes me wonder if it is the " marlin flaw"is that it doesn't let 2 rounds into the magazine as described in other threads the first round gets stuck half way out of the tube. It does get stuck on the carrier it seems though.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
The only thing that makes me wonder if it is the " marlin flaw"is that it doesn't let 2 rounds into the magazine as described in other threads the first round gets stuck half way out of the tube. It does get stuck on the carrier it seems though.
Yeah, that's what was happening in my 336M. That's because the carrier was out of synch because it couldn't move to it's lowest position. Keep your rifle horizontal (normal shooting position) and cycle the lever. See where the carrier doohickey comes out of the receiver. If it doesn't stick out, or barely does, or hits the edges of the hole anywhere, you could have a carrier that is getting stuck.

336M-Jam6a.jpg

See on the top one, the 336C/BL, the carrier sticks out pretty far and is centered in the hole. That cheap piece of garbage works perfectly. The bottom one, the stainless 336M, has the carrier barely coming out of the hole, and it is rubbing against the rear edge of that hole. And that's the one that jams with the lever open and has a cartridge stuck on the carrier. (Or did, anyway)

That's not the only cause of this type of jam though. You could alternatively have a weak magazine spring. I tried replacing my spring, but that wasn't the culprit in my case.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, that's what was happening in my 336M. That's because the carrier was out of synch because it couldn't move to it's lowest position. Keep your rifle horizontal (normal shooting position) and cycle the lever. See where the carrier doohickey comes out of the receiver. If it doesn't stick out, or barely does, or hits the edges of the hole anywhere, you could have a carrier that is getting stuck.

View attachment 96407

See on the top one, the 336C/BL, the carrier sticks out pretty far and is centered in the hole. That cheap piece of garbage works perfectly. The bottom one, the stainless 336M, has the carrier barely coming out of the hole, and it is rubbing against the rear edge of that hole. And that's the one that jams with the lever open and has a cartridge stuck on the carrier. (Or did, anyway)

That's not the only cause of this type of jam though. You could alternatively have a weak magazine spring. I tried replacing my spring, but that wasn't the culprit in my case.
That's for the advice, I will take a look at it and compare it to my 336 that functions fine tomorrow.

·
Registered
567 Posts
sounds to me like your timing is 'too fast' and making your carrier rise too quickly.

Do you have any .44 specials? My guess is that the .44 Special would feed onto the carrier correctly and not jam, based on info you've given us.

..........Widder

1 - 20 of 29 Posts