Marlin Firearms Forum banner

NOE molds....

7K views 38 replies 23 participants last post by  myflatline 
#1 ·
Ok, I had to finally try the New NOE molds I have today, although my hands hurt pretty bad I figured I needed to at least try it. So I put my Accurate 540gr mold on the hot plate along with the NOE 35-200 for the 35 Rem... I plugged in the lead pot and walked away for around 30 or so minutes while the lead melted and the molds heated up.

First I figure I will cast a few 540gr's..... After 20 minutes I give up on them as they are getting wings on them and chipping on the noses because the mold wont hold together right for some reason.... Then I figure I will give the NOE 35-200 a try, Now usually on a new mold it takes 5 to 10 times through to get the mold hot enough and get it to cast right.... NOPE!! first cast was perfect!!! and every cast after that was perfect..... OMG I LOVE NOE MOLDS!! Their pin system is so superior to that of Accurate so the mold closes perfectly every time without having to crush it with brute force!

So, as much as I have loved my Accurate molds before getting the NOE's..... I will never buy any mold from any other manufacturer but NOE!!
And no I have nothing to do with this company of anyone who works for NOE... This is my honest opinion.

Pics to come later of the 35-200 boolits :biggrin:

Doc

See less See more
#31 ·
We must part beard from snot gentlemen.

Both NOE and Accurate makes some of the finest moulds that can be bought.

Accurate (Tom) does his moulds on a CNC lathe 1 hole at a time, NOE gets a reamer grund to specs.
Wich means that if your peticular rifle has an off size bore Tom will do it no sweat and it takes no longer, NOE is sh!7 out of luck. NOE tends to cut 10-15 moulds in a given design at a time and when they run out then you're sh!7 out of luck because it will be months before Swede Nelson will run another batch, Tom will run your mould when it gets in turn.

As to alignment pins i just pulled a mould of each and can say this:
Accurate moulds has conical pins that aligns easier, NOE has almost cylindrical pins wich might give a firmer feel but needs to be aligned better before they can close in the first place.

Accurate on top and NOE at the bottom

Note the thick sprue plate on Toms moulds

And note the lack of sprue plate downhold on the NOE mould just like a Lee

As stated ealier they both make some of the finest moulds that money can buy, but if you prefer one above the other is more like some take the daughter and some prefer her mother.

Because i shoot some odd calibers i tend to lean (heavily) on Tom as i get my moulds cut as i want them, and they are within specs every time!
As to NOE i got two of Swedes moulds because i found 2 rifles where it was easier to shop there. Fine specimens no doubt there! One was an in stok item and the other a group buy i tried to get out after 3 months, i want to shoot now not in some distant future when some other blokes desides they need a mould like mine. No i will shop Tom when i can, it's just easier (and damn faster!). Not a $ more and i get what i want when i want.

#32 ·
I've only had one custom mold, a 358009 from NOE. I couldn't make it cast for sour grapes. After a bit, I sent it to 358Win and he casts a great looking bullet with it. I think it's a Ford - Chevy thing. I've done just fine with off the shelf Lyman, RCBS, Ideal, and Saeco. Some Lee work fine and some are garbage, NEI are great. Someday I will have an LBT, but for now and the last 50 years, the above have served me well.

Jeff

#33 ·
A lot of good information in this thread, I have been considering the NOE could for my 35Rem it would be my first. I have several from Accurate but they are handgun calibers, very pleased with them. Might have to investigate the Powder coating too.

#34 ·
A lot of good information in this thread, I have been considering the NOE could for my 35Rem it would be my first. I have several from Accurate but they are handgun calibers, very pleased with them. Might have to investigate the Powder coating too.
Why?

It sure as he77 wont be easier than casting and lubing properly!
How fast do you need to go, shooting fishinglures and what not?

I have cast and shot since the early 80's and can give you this advise at no charge:
Plainbase cast with lead + 3% tin up to @1600fps
Gascheck cast with lead + 3% tin up to @1750fps
GC cast with 3% tin + 3% antimony i have gone past 2300fps

All above without leading given a bullet minimum .002" bigger than bore and proper lube!!!

Theres no magic, it just needs a little finess.

Powdercoating is a crutch invented by the IPSC shooters, who couldnt be bothered to pay for jacketed performance but still demanded it. And wanted bullets shipped without the lube mess.

The issue is how good are you at coating those bullets at home and how good are you at getting them just the same batch to batch?

Cast is easy peasy, cast, weigh bullet (if you really need to!) then size/lube. And they will be 100% the same season after season after season

If powdercoated bullets were that good then why do'nt any of theese guys shoot them?

No better place to ask why the top notch guys dont shoot powder coated:
ASSRA Forum - Index

#35 ·
I used to pan lube, then I tried dipping and then the lube/sizer.... I will keep the lube/sizer for when I want to mess with it but it is so much easier to powder coat bullets using the shake and bake method. No more having lube dry out on bullets sitting on the shelf or lube running out half way down the barrel because some fell off when loading.

Powder coated bullets are always ready to load and have faster fps then regular lubed bullets. They group just as good as my traditional lubed bullets... I see no reason not to powder coat if that is what you want. There are a lot of people our there that cast and dont want the hassle of lubing.

Im not knocking lubed bullets, I still lube some of mine because I bought a lube/sizer but... if i hadnt, then I would just powder coat all of them

Doc

#36 ·
Oh come on, powder coating is fun if nothing else. kind of an arts and crafts thing. And I really don't care what a bunch of elitist snobs think about it. And it's the perfect solution for shooting cast bullets in gas auto rifles. Like my .458 SOCOM. I would never even consider shooting cast bullets and risk crapping up my gas tube with lead and lube. Then I discovered powder coating and all that changed. Accurate makes a sweet 350gr mold for the SOCOM BTW.

Reactions: Sweetwater
#37 ·
I know it is all about different strokes for different folks and I am all for individual variety, but powder coating belongs on a doughnut! LOL! I feel a longing for home fried molasses doughnuts , like Mom used to make...

I, too, may have to at least try powder coating one of these days....when my Wind's Wonder Wax runs out.

Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.