Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to upgrade my sights on an untapped 1948 336SC. I'd like a scope rather than a peep sight but from what I understand that would mean I'd have to tap the receiver. I don't want to have to do that to it, so are there other options?

I'm not a fan of peep sights, but is that the only upgrade option without tapping? Or does any company make something that would let me mount a scope without tapping my receiver?

·
Super Moderator
11,884 Posts
I have read that a company called Stith made a no drill mount at one time but they are very rare. Williams currently makes a side mount but it does require drilling and tapping an additional hole on the side of the receiver. Most people either live without or modify the gun for a conventional mount. Personally I would find another gun to scope instead.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I honestly don't know the engineering options to solidly attached a sight without screwing it in the receiver.

That said, the Lyman#2 (which I've got on two 1873s & one untapped 1894 38Sp Competition) is minimally invasive -- one additional DT in the tang:

·
Registered
314 Posts
well, yes they do, Lyman 66 uses the existing taps on the side of your receiver. i have a 52 that was tapped on the top by a previous owner, but this is an overall better option because it keep you from having to have a hammer extension which isnt avaliable for our model rifles.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/883/1/RS-66-LA

P.S. its cheaper at Walmart.com by 20 dollars. I purchased mine and fitted it this weekend. No tapping the receiver or tang unscrew the 2 little screws and screw in the sight mount.

·
Registered
314 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Aside from a side mount peep sight, I don't know what else is available. But, I'm curious, the scout rails out there use the rear sight dovetail and one of the receiver holes, so the question I have is: would the rear sight dovetail be enough to secure the scout rail for scope use without securing the other end?

·
Registered
595 Posts
No it would not. The length of that long scout rail and the weight of the scope=not gonna end well, scope drift because the mount is not anchored fore and aft.

Lyman 66=that's your option.... OR... fabricate a single point(left side of receiver existing holes) side mount (similar to the straddle mount AK'S and M1A's use) side saddle rear mount, with the flat top extending over the top rear of receiver and utilizing the side receiver holes. You can stop there for a very small lightweight scope...or.... use the rear sight (barrel) dovetail for the front mount point for a longish scout rail like what comes on the Marlin SBL.

Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Run a peep, or invest in JB Weld.

Alternatively, you could have a mount milled by a machinist, to pick up the receiver sight holes already drilled and tapped, combined with the dovetail. But, it'll be spendy...

*("JB Weld" being a common term for a permanent, epoxied mount. Personally, I think Devcon Plastic Steel Putty is better, due to zero shrinkage. But I still wouldn't do it to an untapped waffle-top.)

Reactions: Vooch

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
I have used epoxy to glue on scope mounts with addition to the threaded screws etc, but on that waffle top I'm pretty sure it would be permanent fixture, and if you did break it loose with heat I don't think you would ever get the epoxy out of the knurled like surface.

You could always add a later model 336 that's already drilled and tapped, or find an older waffle top that is a little on the rough side... give it a good facelift along with drill and tap for scope mounting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts