Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a beautiful Styer Mannlicher-Schoenauer, Model 1961 MCA. I have had it for over ten years, and last year took it out to shoot for the first time. Bought some 180 grain Rem factory cartridges, and set up at the range. Loaded three, got situated, and let fly number one. Ow! Settled the stock in more comforatably, and let the second one go. Un-loaded the third and put it back in the box.

Got a PAST Recoil pad. Went to the range again. This time, I was able to shoot more than a few times, got the strikes on paper, was fairly satisfied that with iron sights, if I only have to shoot twice in a row, I will be fine, just remember to aim an inch or so below the 8" bull to hit center. Overall, not impressed, maybe I will wait to get it scoped and dial it right in. My technique is good, the iron sights are set for 300 (meters?) so anything 200 or less must be guessed.

Last weekend, I decided to take it out again, this time, I found some 150 grain Remingtons, and took them. Got all set up again, aimed at 6'oclock, and hit higher than I liked, but the recoil was next to nothing! and no recoil pad either! The happy ending is that the next five shots stayed pretty close, four rounds in four inches the other two stretched it to 5 inches or a little more.

Now I am very pleased. I am planning to try the 165 grain offering by Remington, and taking a look at other manufacturers. And getting a scope on it for the over 150 yard shots. Though if I find a 200 yard target I may forgo the scope at first.

:lol:

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Those Steyr Mannlichers are beautifully made guns! I'm not a big bolt action fan, but I'd be happy to make an exception for one of those!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For sure and certain, I have never been a fan of bolts - scopes either for that matter. But, I can appreiciate inherent accuracy, and this rifle has it in spades. I would like to change out the front post to a taller one to bring the iron sights down to 100 yards, but the rifle is in almost original condition, and I don't plan to shoot at anything other than paper or steel with it.

Now, understanding and putting my spin on what a bolt action rifle is good for, I would really like to set up a 7mm-08 with a good peep and quick disconnect scope. I would have the 100 yard sighting with no tunnel vision, and the scope for those things I can't see behind the post, but the rifle can hit.

The workmanship on these is wonderful. There are just a few spots that I wish had not happened, but, what are you going to do? Looking at it, you can really tell the difference between what real cut checkering is and what the "fake" checkering is, and what deep blueing is. I have seen the differences in this rotary magazine and others, and while there is only so much difference between them, I have not seen any one else's rifle bolt and magazine able to come apart to individual pieces with NO TOOLS like this one.

Happy, now that I found a load that at least I like? Yup!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts