Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No more "zero" posts

I know there is alot of regard - both well and ill, for people in the LE business. It is my belief, that just like in any other organization, there is good and bad, and sometimes one outweighs the other.

In my life, I have not been un-justly accosted by any member of there LE fraternity.

To serve and protect, so that we may have the freedoms to allow non-military organizations to serve and protect.

"Semper Fi!"

·
Registered
706 Posts
No more "zero" posts

Before I retired I knew lots of good and very few bad LEO's, but it only takes one bad apple to spoil the whole basket, so they say.

I still try to look for the good in people. It's usually there somewhere. Sometimes it just takes a little education to bring it out.

G

·
Good cop, Bad cop

I'll have to log in here as ex-LEO, 14 years was enough, office politics and stupid administrators made me hate it, and I swore if it ever got that way, I'd just leave. But before it got bad, it was more fun than I ever had at work, and while The Life is hard on marriages, it was still worth it.
It got to where there was always something work remembering, and every day when I got home, my kids would wait for me to change clothes, then they'd ask me about "The One," the oddest/funniest incident of the day or night. The funny thing is, I've forgotten most of them, but my kids still remember those stories!
I worked for a total of four departments, the first two as a dispatcher, and after working with all those different guys and gals, only one was a "bad cop", and his only real problem was his temper. Pity the poor perp who didn't follow directions exactly, and set this guy off. I was considered a bit of a dinosaur, being way too gunny for their PC ways, and I don't miss that nonsense a bit! I'm 10-7, out of service, now semi-retired and working armed security. (The only job I could find where they'd let me pack a gun! :wink: That's what SECURITY means to me!
Papajohn

·
Super Moderator
15,945 Posts
Re: Good cop, Bad cop

papajohn428 said:
LARGE SNIP............ I'm 10-7, out of service, now semi-retired and working armed security. (The only job I could find where they'd let me pack a gun! :wink: That's what SECURITY means to me!
Papajohn
PapaJohn:

Your experience very closely mirrors mine. Interestly S/O's see as much or more of the "Life on the Street" than many cops. I work in WA State; where are you located?

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
No more "zero" posts

Only took me five years to retire, crushed hip and osteoarthritis in it, went back to school and became a lawyer. Been doing it since 1984. I represent LEO's against departments for civil rights violations.
I miss the work, but not the Monday morning quarterbacking.

·
Registered
223 Posts
No more "zero" posts

By a huge margin most street cops are very conservative and very pro-gun. It's the kiss-*** "arm-chair" cops - ADMINISTRATORS - who have no sack to stand up to the politically correct clowns who run our city offices and State Legislatures... Remember LE "administrators" are political puppets to their bosses - city councils and county board of supervisors, etc. That's why your rarely ever see a Chief or Sheriff who truly kicks *** on crooks. It's just not politically correct any more to speak plainly and point the blame where it belongs - way too much coddling of the freaks in society instead of punishment and accountability. Administrators' and politicians' own careers and ambitions take a front seat to anything else, including standing up for what's right or the rights of the Silent Majority. Nobody has the guts to call the freaks and losers what they are anymore, so instead we all suffer for their cowardice.

Michael Savage has it right...

·
Registered
706 Posts
No more "zero" posts

Arizona said:
way too much coddling of the freaks in society instead of punishment and accountability. Administrators' and politicians' own careers and ambitions take a front seat to anything else, including standing up for what's right or the rights of the Silent Majority. Nobody has the guts to call the freaks and losers what they are anymore, so instead we all suffer for their cowardice.
I would bet dollars to donuts that a lot of their campaign funds come from those same freaks and losers.

I overheard a bunch of guys in jail once bragging about the best investment they ever made was to give some of their “Proceeds” to campaign funds of those politically correct clowns because it bought them “on the job” protection and an easier life if caught.

·
Registered
719 Posts
i agree....most leo's are great people!

The best friend i ever had was a captain here on the p.d. he passed away a year ago, and we still all miss him. he was a gentle man, but with tours of duty in 'nam as a green beret, an "missions" he never talked about, he didn't have to be "tuff"! he got the job done, and most of the time, people would believe they were doing it for themselves! you know the type fellow...the one you would follow into hell for.......we all finally found out at the funeral, he had 2 purple hearts, 2 bronze stars, one with oak leaf clusters!!!! :shock:
i was going in for the reserves on the force, and had spent alot of time with the rest of the crew, when he passed away will on duty, it just isn't the same., so i turned down the chief, and sold my gear.
but, if every i see a LEO in need of back-up, i'll be there! wish i could of gotten in on the infamous california bank robbery! dang, all they needed was me with my swed 6.5x55 m/96, would of been over in 2 shots! :wink:

·
Registered
706 Posts
No more "zero" posts

Be careful there kaintuck, you don’t want to be mistaken for a Perp. :) :)

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
No more "zero" posts

The problem that I have with LEO's isn't with the everage beat cop. It's with the Chiefs (Political hacks) and the likes of the FOP.

In case ya'll didn't know the FOP endorsed the 1994 Crime Bill (AWB included) and supported Concealed Carry in all 50 states for current and retired police officers ONLY. They felt that it was "vital" to their safety, to hell with us.

To the good cops out there, thanks for your service. FWIW I felt safer in the Army than I think I would as a cop.

·
Banned
2,406 Posts
10-7

I remember when it was 9-7--------------God I am old.

G

·
No more "zero" posts

Maybe I'm way offbase.... but speaking just from personal experience ...

I've had only 2 really bad encounters with perps. Both experiences involved perps with guns and both scared the hell out of me. Now, if I had to face that crap every hour of every working day it wouldn't take me long to become very wary of every person I came into contact with, on or off the job. I'd have a difficult time giving the other guy the benefit of a doubt. In fact, I just might develope an "attitude". Knowing this I find it not only amazing but a testimony to the professionalism of the majority of LEO's that they are able to maintain a polite and helpful attitude for the average citizen during an encounter.... like a traffic stop.... or while responding to a really bad situation and taking out the bad guy but helping the good guy at the same time.

So........ I appreciate the good cops.

·
Registered
12 Posts
No more "zero" posts

After 32+ years in Law enforcement, all in Texas, I have met hundreds of police officers and administrators. (Both good and bad) I have never met one that was a member of the FOP.

G

·
Re: No more "zero" posts

nfmMike said:
I know there is alot of regard - both well and ill, for people in the LE business. It is my belief, that just like in any other organization, there is good and bad, and sometimes one outweighs the other.

In my life, I have not been un-justly accosted by any member of there LE fraternity.

To serve and protect, so that we may have the freedoms to allow non-military organizations to serve and protect.

"Semper Fi!"
Lucky your are not in Juneau Alaska. The good officers have been forced to retire or to leave.
A month ago I was push around bu one office while 2 others watched. I have went to the PD, City hall and the city lawers trying to get something done about this, the answer was SO WHAT? The paper here refuses to priant the story and the radio cut me off when I tryed to talk about this.

George

·
Premium Member
18,033 Posts
No more "zero" posts

I've worked with over a hundred cops, and what always amazed me was how all good cops seemed to get more professional when things started getting ugly. Cops see people at their very worst, and take a lot of venting without blinking, then shrug and go on. I was never very good at that part, and got called into the Captain's office numerous times for yelling back at people who had called me things I couldn't repeat to a drill instructor. My all-time favorite crew was a bunch of lazy donut-munching dinosaurs like me, who goofed off whenever we had a chance. But when the chips were down and the feces were flying, there was no better squad to be working with. We argued like siblings, teased each other relentlessly, and fought for each other like rabid dogs. I would go thru hell for them, anytime, anywhere. We were brothers.

Papajohn the Past Patrol Person

·
Registered
476 Posts
No more "zero" posts

Papa John,

Amen brother! I have had the absolute best of times at the worst of times. Some of the guys that I have worked with are the best of people on this planet I swear. Lots of fun to goof off with but when the chips were down they were all business.

JC

·
Registered
619 Posts
No more "zero" posts

I can agree with just about everything said here. Cops are great people doing one of the most difficult jobs there is. I did it for 8 years and got so sick of the politics and the administrators of the 2 departments I worked for that I just got completely out of it. Great group of people to work with, still have two friends I still talk with, but I won't do it anymore. I think everybody ought to be a cop for about 2 years and then people would understand what's going on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
No more "zero" posts

I'm fairly new to this forum and am still catching up on the posts. I came across this one and wanted to share the below with you folks. I received it in an email many many years ago. I left it as it is in the event that the end is true. You all know how the internet is though, but in the rare event that it is, I'll keep it as is.

I myself like most of you am a former LEO. I come from blue blood and you know how it is when it's the family business so to speak. I've seen the good, bad, and ugly as any group has it. I'm confident that they try to weed it out before, but no one nor any procedure is perfect so some slip through.

Anyway, here is the main erason for my post on here. Take care and for those on the streets, be safe.

Justin F.

Well, Mr. Citizen, it seems you've figured me out. I seem to fit neatly
Into the category where you've placed me. I'm stereotyped, standardized,
Characterized, classified, grouped, and always typical. Unfortunately, the
reverse is true. I can never figure you out.

From birth you teach your children that I'm the bogey man, and then you're
shocked when they identify with my traditional enemy, the criminal!

You accuse me of coddling criminals. Until I catch your kids doing wrong.
You may take an hour for lunch and several coffee breaks each day, but
point me out as a loafer for having one cup.

You pride yourself on your manners, but think nothing of disrupting my
meals with your troubles.

You raise hell with the guy who cuts you off in traffic, but let me catch
you doing the same thing and I'm picking on you.

You know all the traffic laws...but you've never gotten a single ticket you
deserve.

You shout "foul" if you observe me driving fast to a call, but raise the
roof if I take more than ten seconds to respond to your complaint.

You call it part of my job if someone strikes me, but call it police
brutality if I strike back.

You wouldn't think of telling your dentist how to pull a tooth or your
doctor how to take out an appendix, yet your always willing to give me
pointers on the law.

You talk to me in a manner that would get you a bloody nose from anyone
else, but expect me to take it without batting an eye.

You yell something's got to be done to fight crime, but you can't
be bothered to get involved.

You have no use for me at all, but of course it's OK if I change a flat for
your wife, deliver your child in the back of the patrol car, or perhaps save
your son's life with mouth to mouth breathing, or work many hours overtime
looking for your lost daughter.

So, Mr. Citizen, you can stand there on your soapbox and rant and rave
about the way I do my work, calling me every name in the book, but never stop to
think that your property, family, or maybe even your life depends on me or
one of my buddies.

Yes, Mr. Citizen, it's me...the lousy cop!

The author of this article was Trooper Mitchell Brown of the Virginia
State Police. He was killed in the line of duty two months after writing the
article.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
No more "zero" posts

I like the seniment but as you said it is the internet From Snopes:

Origins: Whether or not this essay was actually written by a policeman (or accurately reflects the public image of the cop on the beat), the glurgirific coda has been made up for added poignancy. According to both the Virginia State Police and the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial office, there is no record of a Mitchell Brown having served with the Virginia State Police, much less having been killed in the line of duty.

In December 1999, Bill Johnson of the Denver Rocky Mountain News ran the piece in his column, attributing it to Trooper Mitchell Brown of the Virginia State Police. He printed a retraction a couple of days later when it turned out there was no such officer with that law enforcement agency. Mr. Johnson had received the piece from a police friend of his who in turn had gotten it in e-mail. Mr. Johnson didn't originate "Lousy Cop" but was responsible for disseminating it to an even larger audience.

One of our readers mentions seeing this piece in his U.S. Air Force base's newsletter in the mid-1990s.

Last updated: 27 July 2001

·
Registered
115 Posts
No more "zero" posts

It is a job. Some people are better at their job than others.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts