Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are too many rumors and speculation as various powder companies take over others. I like certain Hodgdon powders a lot but I also like certain IMR numbers a lot, so I sent this question:

Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2006 9:55 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: IMR Inquiry

There are rumors on the veritable rumor highway (internet) that Hodgdon will be dropping some of the IMR powder offerings or swallowing them up with similar numbers in the Hodgdon line. Is this true? I would appreciate the advice since, as a rural Alaskan customer, I have to get my powders via air freight which means considerable expense and usually multi-hundred dollar orders. Do I need to be aware of upcoming changes so I can seek new loads with new powders before I make my next order? Thanks,
Their reply:

The only change is that we are dropping H4227 and leaving IMR4227. That's all.

Mike Daly
Customer Satisfaction Manager
Hodgdon Powder Company/ IMR Powder Company
[/quote]

·
Registered
688 Posts
I find that interesting but may be true in the short term. A friend who was at a trade show asked the Hogdon rep (I don't know who that was) about product line consolidation (like HP-38 and W231, W748 and H335, etc.) and was told that would indeed happen along the pattern of H4227 and IMR 4227 where the best seller would be retained.

Let's face it, it makes economic sense for them to do this unless sales are so big and consumer brand loyalty is considered very strong.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Golsovia,

Thanks for asking the question and posting the response. Like Hobie says, I expect similar consolidations of product line over time. It is no surprise that they aren't wanting lay out the long term picture for us. They need to keep a "steady as you go" face on.

Afterall, "Widespread Panic" is a clever name for a rock band but a disasterous situation for a marketing department. I am impressed with the forthrightness of the reply you received from the Cust. Sat. Man. even though I suspect there is more to the story in the long term.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I, too, expect to see some consolidation I guess. I kind of hate to see the loss of some favorites though and that is bound to happen, I think, with the merger of smaller companies into one big one. Loss of diversity doesn't bode well for the natural world nor is it our friend when it comes things like this. I do hope that Hodgdon is looking at their new aquisitions as ways to solidify their powder sources in NA. That would seem like a good thing for a military powder supplier. It may also mean that IMR powders (many) will stay in their lines. They are historically some of the most consistent I think. Ironically IMR got its first Aussie powder and first powder with a "name" when Hodgon added Trail Boss to their line up. Perhaps some product tweaking (as in 7828SC) is logical and welcome also with Hodgon as overseeing parent company.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
That does not surprise me. Hagden has been making powders that are real similar in burn rate and such and naming them the same as IMR for years. It only makes good business sense to drop a powder for a more popular one. But I do like having the options of a slightly different powder choice to tweak in a stuborn cartridge.

I have similar loads with my 358 Win. with IMR-4895 and H335. They are only 1 gr. apart and the H335 is faster and more accurate.

I dialed in some loads for my 44-40 with H4227 and I do like it, but it leaves burnt powder flakes in my bore. But it is accurate! :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
This subject came up earlier this year, I emailed Hodgdon about it. This was their reply...as I read it, new IMR4227 is just renamed H4227 since it's made by ADI, probably has been all along. They're just thinning the product line.

The product name H 4227 has been discontinued. Future lots of IMR 4227 will be manufactured in Australia by ADI. While the color of the future lots will be the same as current lots of IMR 4227 future lots of IMR 4227 will be Extreme.

Dave Campbell
Customer Satisfaction
Hodgdon Powder Company/ IMR Powder Company
http://www.marlinowners.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=10396&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

1 - 6 of 6 Posts