Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No deer for me this year. Still have another week of deer season, but I already have other plans.

Didn't see a single buck or doe all week. In the 3 days I went out, I heard 12 shots. ...back in my youth, it'd sound like the Forth of July during the same period of time.

I was really hoping to get something. I plan on retiring my Model 93 .32spl carbine and my Colt Python at the end of this season. Kinda liked to have bloodied either one last time before they got put up for target shoot'n. ...the Python may still serve some whislepig duty though.

I plan on getting a used stainless steel Interarm Virginian Silhouette Dragoon 44mag that comes with a $285 Leupold scope for $329(yes, pistol and scope) down at the local dealer. And for rifle duties, I'm still not sure. A Marlin 1895 Cowboy or Guide in 45-70, a Legacy Puma in 454 Casull, or a knockoff Sharps 1874 in something of the 45 caliber flavor. ..so many choices, so little money.

For those of you that plan on finishing the week(or thelate muzzleloader) out in Polk and Warsaw Twp's, Jefferson County, I highly recommend finding other lands. I'm related to 90% of the land owners out here, all of which said its been a bad harvest this year, even on the State Game Lands and in the State Forest.

Good luck with your hunt.

Robert

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Not many are being shot for sure. some of the best hunters I know of are getting skunked this year... I was darn lucky to say the least.... We sure had things lots better before the game commission got involved in it.. ...

·
Registered
311 Posts
KNIGHT 0334,
I am from Brooksville, Florida. I live close to State forest lands and have been unsuccessful( one miss :oops: and passed up small antlerless). I decided to take a stand in another hunt area. Mr. Marlin 44M provided me with a nice Hoggie! Our DNR guys have said the take is down by about a third. I can't help thinking that our 4 COTTONPICKIN' DADBLASTED HURRICANES might have something to do with habitat changes( one of my favorite haunts is totally underwater! and DEEP, too. The storms went right up north through your neck of the woods(no pun intended).
Hang in there KNIGHT: we still got a few more hunts to go. Still beats hell out of workin.'
MUZZLEDUSTER :D

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Muzzleduster,

I'm familiar with your area too. My mom and dad live in Zephyrhills. She sent me pics of the area from all 4 storm's aftermath. Damn shame what damage those storms caused to your area. I can only imagine how the habitat changes effect your future hunts.

The leftover storms that hit us cause some bad flooding in the valley areas, knocked over a few trees too. Nothing as bad as your damage.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Nothing bad enough to change habitat for us anyway.... Just there thin.. used to be able to see no less than 40 to 50 a day in the woods.. now 40 to 50 a year is challenge.. I am all for strengthening the herd to be better.. but this change will not happen in my life time.. and whitetail will probably be put on endangered list if this keeps up..

·
Registered
311 Posts
GUNJUNKIE AND KNIGHT,
I just got back from an afternoon hunt in the CROOM WMA. I got just about run over by 2 or 3 deer at about 5:50p coming into a thicket I was sitting beside. At that hour, with my vision, I would have to feel 'em to know what they were. I took a nice hog in JUMPER CREEK WMA on 12/2 at 5:45p. (wasn't worried about accidently whacking a doe).
If you fellas ever come down to visit Mom in Zephyrhills you could come a little ways North and hang with the nuttiest bunch in seven counties at my gun club(where I R.O. 2-3x a week).
GOOD LUCK!
MUZZLEDUSTER :D

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
See there out there just got to Hunt harder :D

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
I hunted for 5 days in Elk County Pa. My cabin is on Arroyo Road, & we hunt the Owls Nest area. I saw 5 does on the 1st day & that was it! I do believe, since the Game Comm. got involved the Deer are few & far between. I talked with a lot of locals from Ridgeway, & they didn`t see anything. The state also had a lot of the roads closed (gates locked) If this is progress "GIVE ME THE OLD DAYS" One of our guys did see 3 bucks & they were all SPIKES. This year SUCKED! I called the Game Comm & voiced my concernes, & they said they would Log my call. (Whatever that means) 444 :evil:

·
Registered
32 Posts
It's been a dry year as well for me out here on the west coast. Of course it doesn't help when your camp burns down the first day of a 2 week hunt!

The couple of times I did get out, I saw only 1 deer & it was bald headed.

Can't wait for next season!

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
444nut said:
I hunted for 5 days in Elk County Pa. My cabin is on Arroyo Road, & we hunt the Owls Nest area. I saw 5 does on the 1st day & that was it! I do believe, since the Game Comm. got involved the Deer are few & far between. I talked with a lot of locals from Ridgeway, & they didn`t see anything. The state also had a lot of the roads closed (gates locked) If this is progress "GIVE ME THE OLD DAYS" One of our guys did see 3 bucks & they were all SPIKES. This year SUCKED! I called the Game Comm & voiced my concernes, & they said they would Log my call. (Whatever that means) 444 :evil:

File 13 Glenn means they get a check every week and could care less..

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, my plans have changed for this weekend. Looks like I'll get one more day in on saturday.

I know of a place where there are many many doe, and usually a buck following them. I'm at the point I really dont care if horns are attached or not. Only 10 groundhog taken with my last 5 hunting licenses.

And I dont really care if the 'possom cops read that or not.

·
Registered
264 Posts
knight0334; Good luck man, hunt all day! I missed out on an 8 point lunch-bucket about 2 weeks ago because I was unprepaired, to busy counting the points.
I have this Thursday off, an office x-mas party Friday, then a 3-day do or die weekend. Gonna hit it, and hit it hard. Would like to fill at least one of these friggin tags.

Gunjunkie; I take it you picked one up? I helped a friend of mine clean a doe the other night, we always help each other clean 'em, was good to warm up on the butchering skills. Both of us got the supersportsman licence, which if you pick up the right wmu's gets you 2 doe tags, plus Archery if you have the certificate. So thats 8 tags and only 1 deer so far, sad. But it's not for the lack of trying. Although I could kick my ass for letting that buck slip by. &^^##%^ ^%@%

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Yep.. I was lucky this year ,, its in another post here someplace :D Squirrel Sniper scored well too.. :lol:

I wish you guys well up there. Danurve.. hope you get a few more ..

·
Registered
580 Posts
I must have been lucky so far. I've seen seven bucks, none had the required four points or better to be legal. Hopefully this last weekend will be different. I work outside all over Indiana, Jefferson, and Armstrong counties, and I've yet to see a deer this week.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts