Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought the latest Hornady Reloading Manual and was really surprised there wasn't any 45-70 load data for Hodgdon's new LeverEvolution powder. Double checked the Hodgdon/Hornady website and no dice.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Are you sure the Hodgdon's new LeverEvolution powder is also used in the 45-70. If you go to the Hodgdon web page it shows load data for many of the LeverEvolution ammo but not the 45-70.
http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/SuperLever.pdf

The 45-70 may use faster burning powder then say the 308 Marlin would. Hornady has load data on there web page for the 45-70 LeverEvolution and recommends IMR4198.

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/ftx_load_data/45-70_1895-marlin_ftx.pdf

I may be wrong but I think I would talk with Hornady before buying any of it for the 45-70.

Domenic

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Yeah, I found that. It is good.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I wasn't very clear in my original post. I ordered the manual and just one (1) pound of the LeverEvolution powder because I ASSUMED ??? it was being used in the 325gr 45-70 Hornady LeverEvolution factory loads.

Hornady uses undersized (too short) brass with the 325 gr load and since I bought a bunch of factory ammo before I found out I couldn't use it to reload with normal lead bullets, I bought some 325 grain FTX bullets. There certainly are Hodgdon, IMR, and other powder loads that you can use with the 325 FTX, but the "LeverEvolution" powder seems to be more suited to the 30-30, etc.

Just to be clear: There is load data for the LeverEvolution powder in the new Hornady Reloading Manual for some calibers. Just not for the 45-70.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I called Hornady for the first time ever, had a question about there 9mm XTP bullet and the best die for bullet seating of the XTP. Anyway Hornady told me that the Hodgdon LeverEvolution powder that is out is not to be used in the 45-70. He told me Hornady has three LeverEvolution powders with only the one out to reloaders by Hodgdon. I myself would go to the Hornady load data page and use that. I don't think it is worth special LeverEvolution powder for the 45-70 due to it's gummy tip. Powder like IMR4198 or RL-7 will be able to match and exceed factory loads with quality clean burning powder, and will be easier to find. Hope this helps

Domenic

1 - 5 of 5 Posts