Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished up the cover for the Plumb DB.

I used the sewing awl this time.
Works good once ya get used to it, but I can see a puncture wound in my future if I spend much more time with it.
I didn't like the way the horse hide dyed on an earlier project so I just gave her a good rubdown with Neets.
What ya see, is what ya get. ha

And, in case ya missed it, here's the axe after my recent restoration.

I was gonna buy a new axe for camping, but the more time I spend working on the old Plumb, the more I'm thinking I couldn't find anything that fits my needs and style better if I tried. Life's good in Charlie land.

Any thanks for looking (and not laughing).
Charlie

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Looks great! I have an old Collins DB that needs a sheath, Yours looks like a good functional piece.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Charlie thanks for posting these great pictures of your "old friends" and your new axe sheath. I think your work is improving very quickly as you practice and I love the way the leather came out with just neatsfoot oil instead of dye, near perfect I would say. Keep up the good work my friend.

Jesse

·
Registered
79 Posts
Great job. Excellent stitching. I know what you mean about puncture wounds. It's time to hide the women and children when I do any stitching. I haven't done 'any' this clean and uniform either.

Andy

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Andy,,,,, try a saddle stitch.
Pretty much the same results, but the needles aren't sharp.
Takes quite a bit longer to do though.
Guess there really aren't any free lunches, eah?

Thanks
Charlie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts