Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sent Hornady an email asking when they would be making this ammo. Here's a copy of the reply I received:

"Thank you for your email. As you are aware, 2013 was one of the most challenging years ever in the sporting arms industry. We have been doing everything we can to produce and ship as fast as we can, however, it is never enough to keep up with the amount of orders we have had coming in. Unfortunately due to high demand that we are experiencing at this time we regret to inform you that we will not be able to schedule this ammo into production sometime in 2014. Following is a page from our website to further explain: Product Availability Update - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc.
Thank you again. We appreciate your business and understanding during this time."

The link will take you to Hornady's explanation of their production plan.

Their marketing research must have told them that people want 265 FTX, because I see plenty of that on the shelves. I'm going to send them a reply and ask them to reconsider their decision on the 265 FP.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
That's no good.

If you send them an email, be sure to remind them that you aren't the only person that feels like they chose the wrong ammunition to keep on the production schedule.
The only reason the FTX loads are selling, is because people can't get the 265 FP loads ('light magnum' or Superformance). But even then, the popularity is questionable. One of my local shops has 18 boxes of 265 gr FTX ammo, with 3 year old price tags on them....

If the factory loads aren't on the schedule, that probably means the 265 FP won't be run as a component bullet for 2014, either. So, even we reloaders will still be out of luck.

Reactions: Slugnut

·
Super Moderator
7,957 Posts
$48.00. A box of 100Box. :ahhhhh: that bullet isn't worth that, I would much rather pay $50.00 a box of 50 for the Swifts great bullets!

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
Disappointing, I really enjoy that ammunition. I do have several boxes stocked up, but I shoot quite a bit of it. Hopefully they reconsider. Maybe we could start a signed petition or something?

Reactions: Ret_Eng

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
I work in the sporting goods section of our store, and can tell all that Hornady has shipped more boxes of bullets for reloading than any other manufacturer during the last year. Speer comes in at number 2, followed by Sierra, Nosler, Barnes and finally Berger, in that order. Try to keep in mind that they also have to out source the components needed to produce their products, finding lead, brass, ect. is not as easy as some may think. All the manufacturer's are searching for the same basic material and demand has far outstripped supply. DP

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: I sent a reply to Hornady expressing my disappointment that this ammo wouldn't be made this year. I got another quick reply back which said: "As per our previous reply it will be made sometime in 2014. We just do not know when we will be able to schedule it in."

Huh? If you reread the first reply they sent to me you'll see it says: " we regret to inform you that we will not be able to schedule this ammo into production sometime in 2014."

So their second reply makes it sounds like they did not mean to use the word "not" in their first reply. I've sent them another reply asking for a clarification. I'll let you know if/when I hear back from them.

I will say this: so far they have replied back quickly to both of my messages.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I wouldn't get your hopes up.
The only .444 Marlin ammo on the 2014 production list is the 265 FTX load.

Dawei said:
The 44 CAL .430 265GR INTERLOCK® FP SKU: 4300 | 100/BX MSRP: $48.87; IS STILL AVAILABLE.....
Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Bullets :: Rifle :: Caliber :: .430 44 CAL
If it WAS available through Hornady at the time you posted, it isn't any more.
If you were just referring to the "Purchase from Retailer" option as an indication that it's in production, you can't go by that. That just means it isn't currently in "discontinued" status. It's somewhat like calling Ford and asking them if they are still making the Ranger compact pickup. The answer will be, "yes" ....even though it's only available outside of North America.

I checked with a few sources, and they say the 265 FP is expected to ship in mid-October. So, we should get some; but that'll probably be the only production run for the year.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
We have been down this road before with Hornady. Remember, there was a time that Hornady had discontinued the 265 FP and we had a email campaign with Hornady to deliver the message that the majority of 444 rifles are 1/38 twist and the gummy tip bullets require 1/20 twist. Somewhere there was a response from Hornady acknowledging the issue and that they would resume production of the 265 FP and the Superperformance offering. So, in some regards, we are still better off than we were about three years ago when it looked like the 265 FP and the 444 SP ammo were gone for good.
I believe they are struggling to keep up with all the developments in the market. So that part is true, but I do believe that Hornady has a lot vested in the success of their FTX and therefor is being a bit heavy handed with pushing the FTX stuff on the market. I don't have a serious problem with the FTX bullet or LVR ammo, but I have 1/20 rifles so they work for me. Anyways, I cast my own so it's not a big deal one way or another for me, but the success of the 444 as a cartridge is seriously affected.
I keep a close eye on ammo availability and bullet availability. I can say there was a release of the 265 FP and Superperformance ammo a couple or so months ago, but it disappeared as quickly as it appeared.

·
Registered
109 Posts
This is all sad to see and the .450 Marlin flat point load has gone by the wayside too.
My Dad was skeptical about the gummy bullets for his 35 that I picked up for him.He said "I want the old type round nose bullets",but they were all I could find.It turned out he was right as it jammed his rifle up so bad it had to be disassembled to get them out.First time it jammed since he bought it new in 1967.

·
Super Moderator
24,945 Posts
I am glad I stocked up on this ammo last fall. But--8 boxes of it won't last forever--I will have to start reloading again. Sure wish I hadn't sold all my equipment 15 years ago.

·
Banned
327 Posts
* boxes of the 265 Light Mag sold as 2 seperate 4 box lots @ 50$ a box.
Buyer's must have known this stuff is like gold.

I spoke with Hornady about 3 weeks ago and they said they didn't know when it would be scheduled..evidently they NOW know...about 1/4 after NEVER:)

The 265LE's are everywhere at $35 a box...and luckily my gun loves them:)

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Well, that's disheartening news...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I got my third reply back from Hornady. I commend them for their quick replies. And even though their first reply to me was inaccurate they quickly cleared it up. They confirmed that they WILL be making a run of the Superformance 265 FP sometime in 2014, but they weren't able to tell me when.

I replied back and told them that there is a considerable and growing interest in the .444 Marlin, that most of us prefer the 265 FP instead of the 265 FTX, that many of us are not reloaders and that we are depending on Hornady for our ammo. I told them to tell their production people to make it a BIG run.

So get your notification requests set up with your favorite retailers and have your credit card ready.

They also sent this link with more info on their product availability: Product Availability Update - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc

I
was able to buy 4 boxes of the 265 Light Mag from Georgia Wilderness before they ran out. So if I had 3-4 more I'd be happy.

·
Premium Member
13,620 Posts
I stocked up on the bullets over the last 18 months for the 450 and the 444. I even load the Interlocks in my 44 mag. I ran out during the last shortage and I made sure I wouldn't this time around. For everyone else's benefit I hope they make that other run later this year!

1895gunner

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
They confirmed that they WILL be making a run of the Superformance 265 FP sometime in 2014, but they weren't able to tell me when.
It should show up around the time the bullets ship, would be my guess.
Most ammunition companies time bullet and brass production so that they can pass the components straight on to the ammunition production line, and kick loaded ammo out the door.

·
Super Moderator
15,896 Posts
I wouldn't get your hopes up.
The only .444 Marlin ammo on the 2014 production list is the 265 FTX load.

If it WAS available through Hornady at the time you posted, it isn't any more.
If you were just referring to the "Purchase from Retailer" option as an indication that it's in production, you can't go by that. That just means it isn't currently in "discontinued" status. It's somewhat like calling Ford and asking them if they are still making the Ranger compact pickup. The answer will be, "yes" ....even though it's only available outside of North America.

I checked with a few sources, and they say the 265 FP is expected to ship in mid-October. So, we should get some; but that'll probably be the only production run for the year.
I AM NOT talking about Hornady® factory ammunition availability. I'm talking about the individual bullets being available for handloaders in various retailers stores. I see them on the shelves & just got some for $34.99.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts