Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have a X7VH in .308. Appears the ejector broke off. Ordered replacement ejector, spring and retaining spring from Numrich. The question is . . this a do it yourself repair or should a trip to the smith be in my future? If someone has done this replacement, please pass along suggestions, hints and watch-out-fors. Thanks.

Now I've got ejection rejection. Numrich had all the parts except the ejector. Any ideas where one can be located????

·
Banned
231 Posts
Yes, I have had to do that on my X rifles, and yes it's a DIY, not very difficult. I am sorry to say it's a sign of things to come, next look out for a broken extractor, they have a tendency of breaking, they are a pretty cheap cast part, I had three out of five X rifles break the extractors, that's just one of the many reasons I sold all of my X rifles, I just got tired of dealing with the reliability issues.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Winterlands, how many rounds did you have through each gun and what were you doing with them that caused issues?

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
I've gotten into the habit of only loading the next round from the magazine instead just "dropping" one in. Haven't had an extractor failure since.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Howdy.

Same/similar problem; ejector is stuck inside bolt head. Used numerous tactics to try and get it to pop back out. No luck.

I did mine by dropping in some very old (20yr+) 270 factory ammo in the gun after sighting in the new scope. I had no problems with new factory ammo or my (2% under max) hand loads while sighting it in, but I used it all up getting it dialed in tight. I didn't notice the ejector pin 'smearing' the case head on the old rounds until after it blew the primer and jammed the ejector. I can't find a similar smear on any of the factory or my hand loads. Only after breaking it did I hear that powder can get faster with significant age. Either that or I thought it was an 'old wives tale' when I did hear it and didn't pay heed. Anyway, gun was in 'near unfired' condition when I bought it last spring. It was difficult to find anything beyond a slight circle around the firing pin hole and a very small amount of copper fouling to indicate it had been used at all. Maybe one box of bullets.

Since then I've put only four or five boxes of ammo through it, including the two boxes I used up when it broke. Almost all factory, but at least one full box of hand loads.

So anyway, back to my story; Ejector pin's broke and I can't get it out. I found the spring and retaining pin on Numrich but they still don't have the ejection pin and told me that they cannot get it. 'No, it's not on backorder, it's unavailable.'

I don't have time to mess with Marlin/Remington warranty or service right now and since I bought the gun second hand, I don't figure there's much point in trying since the part is still listed on backorder with Marlin.

SO after trying the 'bang it against a board' trick, and the 'soak it in kroil overnight and bang it against a board very hard' trick, I used a drill bit to see if there was a bur holding the pin back (per gunsmith). No luck. So I got a slightly larger bit and drilled the hole .005" larger, all the way to and slightly into the pin. The pin is bottomed out. It must be crushed onto the spring or it has a tail which is badly bent.

So I now have a two fold approach; Switch to a smaller drill bit and see if I can get inside the pin itself and extract it with a hardened extraction screw. It's pretty small, not sure this'll work. Then I am going to order a new bolt head, pin and spring and a bunch of similar (savage, browning, etc.) ejection pins and springs and see if I can custom grind one of 'em into spec.

I may end up using the original bolt head with a slightly larger ejection pin, or I may end up using the new bolt head with a custom ground, and hopefully stronger, ejection pin and spring. Probably order an extractor too, just so I have one if and when I need it.

Couple of questions; has anybody dealt with this before? Seems like the extractor breaking is the normal problem. Since Numrich can't get them and Marlin is out, I have to assume that the ejector is also an issue.

I'd prefer to have the old bolt head work. That way I don't have to re-set head space. My understanding is that the oversized ejection pin (.0025 on each side) bore won't be a problem for blowing primers, as long as the pin is likewise oversized and a good stiff spring is used.

If I had to do head space, I'd probably pay my gunsmith friend to do it. He has the gauges and the wrench and he'd probably let me use them, but I'd feel bad using his stuff instead of paying him to do the work. I guess it'd also be bad form to take him parts that I bought elsewhere. He's not too big on the idea of ordering a half dozen pins to see what might be made to work. Which is a problem, since the original pin is not even available at this time. Even the 783 Remmy pin seems to be impossible to get. I'm pretty sure that pin would straight up work in the bolt.

I haven't seen one of the xl7 pins in its original configuration other than in the crude parts drawing. Can anyone offer guidance on what pin might be most similar? Maybe have dimensions available? Does the pin have a little 'tail' like a browning a-bolt ejector?

An a-bolt browning ejector appears to be pretty close in terms of diameter, I just don't know about the overall length or the tail. I believe I could cut the tail off the browning pin and grind the end smooth if I needed to. It may be just slightly over dimension, diameter wise. I can mike it, once I get the broken one out.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. (And yes, I trust my gunsmith friend, but I don't want to pay $200 to fix a $250 rifle and so I don't feel right asking him to do it for free or plying him for information.) On the other hand, he knows dam good and well he won't make a living off of people like me. He fixes guns for people who mostly don't buy Marlin XL7's or Savages, or even Weatherby Vanguards.

·
Registered
981 Posts
The OP is asking about EJECTORS, NOT EXTRACTORS.

The only issue I've ever had with the EJECTOR was it getting jammed down because of a VERY hot load in my 30-06. The 'smith had to drill it out. He replaced the spring with a heavier one, and used a slightly bigger ejector from a Remington to fix the problem.

I have over 2500rounds thru my 30-06 "X" gun, and that is the only issue I've ever had.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Follow-up. Used the bang-it-against-a-board method to expose the end of the ejector and got it the rest of the way out with pliers. Not broken off as I had originally suspected but deformed at the ejection end. Used a small file to re-round (if that's a word) it then tested it back down the opening. Slipped back and forth without binding so loaded the new spring, inserted the reworked ejector and pinned it with a new pin. Works well, but I'm certain more fouling will work its way down eventually. Still in the market for a new ejector but this will have to do until Numrich (or someone) coughs up a replacement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
dmsbandit;

"He replaced the spring with a heavier one, and used a slightly bigger ejector from a Remington to fix the problem."

Any idea what model Remington it was made for?

Just curious because it seems likely that will be my fix as well.

By the way, what'd your smith charge?

and thanks.

·
Registered
981 Posts
dmsbandit;

"He replaced the spring with a heavier one, and used a slightly bigger ejector from a Remington to fix the problem."

Any idea what model Remington it was made for?

Just curious because it seems likely that will be my fix as well.

By the way, what'd your smith charge?

and thanks.
It only cost about $25-30 for the fix. I would think it was a Remington 700 ejector, but not sure about the spring.

He had to "open" the hole ever so slightly because the ejector had been driven so hard into the bolt head that the edges of the "hole" were damaged.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts