Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a post on here about some 35 ammo at Dicks Sporting Goods so as soon as they openned this morning I was on the phone. Guy say's they have no 35 and haven't had any in 8 months. However he did say that the word is that Remington just announced the completion of a large batch and they and Gander Mountain were expecting some soon. I was on the phone with a Remington rep 2 days ago and she said they were having problems keeping up with demand and were making it as fast as they can. I would think these companies would know what the demand was at this time of the year ever year.

·
Premium Member
11,440 Posts
I agree with you they should know what they need from the year before or at least somewhere close. As far as the girl saying they are having problems keeping up with demand I think that is her go to answer. I have not seen anything that makes me think anyone has been making any 35 Remington recently. I have plenty but the last I saw online was a few months ago and I have not seen any in the stores in the last year that I can remember.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
My neighbor down the dirt road from me works for Ellett Brothers, the big office over in Chapin, and he told me 35 Rem is hard to get from any manufacturer and what little they do get goes fast when they get it ... which my few LGSs support because they've all been trying to get more for me since August. I thought perhaps I could score some locally and spread the wealth on the MO but, so far at least, I've struck-out.

I wouldn't buy from Dicks even if they had 35 Rem. Not given the stunt they pulled after Sandy Hook.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
I wouldn't buy anything from Dick's. Their CEO is a PIG and hates hunters. They will never get any of the little money I have to spend.

If I were a vindictive gun owner, I would wish Dick's would go bankrupt. Hmm.........:hmmmm:

Mike T.

·
Banned
8,177 Posts
I wouldn't buy anything from Dick's. Their CEO is a PIG and hates hunters. They will never get any of the little money I have to spend.

If I were a vindictive gun owner, I would wish Dick's would go bankrupt. Hmm.........:hmmmm:

Mike T.
I totally agree with you.Also ,from my experience.Their counter help are not knowledgeable about anything.And Dick's prices are higher than most.

·
Super Moderator
24,437 Posts
Yeah--I hate Dicks too. I had to grit my teeth when buying Win Super-X 170 grain 30-30 from them about a year ago. I couldn't find any locally or online. Now I reload so Dick's can rot for all I care.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts

If I were a vindictive gun owner, I would wish Dick's would go bankrupt. Hmm.........

Mike T.
I must be a vindictive gun owner then, because that's exactly what I hope happens to Dick's.

Matter of fact, here's the rest of the story.

Their post-Sandy Hook decision so adversely affected their company and their bottom line, that they showed a 2.5-3% drop in sales from their previous year at the same time, and their numbers have continued to decline since. So-much-so that they scrambled to buy naming rights to "Field & Stream" so they could open an off-shoot store of Dick's up in the Pennsylvania/Ohio/Michigan region, (for starters), which does, in fact, sell modern sporting rifles. They are called Field & Stream stores and they don't want anyone to know they are owned by Dick's after Dick's made such a huge deal about ARs after Sandy Hook and put all those people out of jobs who they had contracted with the buy their ARs ... what was the name of that Company? Started with a T. Was it Troy Rifles that they caused to go bankrupt by reneging on their contract?

My Son and I, both avid golfers, have vowed to keep spreading the word about Dick's and about their off-shoot chain of golf stores as well, "Golf Galaxy." We used to buy a lot of ammo, clothes, golf equipment, etc., from Dick's, but we will no more as long as their current CEO is in charge.

Dick's is based outta Pittsburgh, and they definitely have some far leftist progressive views about our country and our Constitution and how things should work. They have a long history of negatively affecting sub-contractors who they agree to do business with, not only suppliers and vendors but those involved in building their stores, etc.

They are not an ethical company to do business with IMHO.

·
Super Moderator
7,960 Posts
We have one close to my house but I will travel across the water to Bass Pro before going in Dick's.

·
Super Moderator
24,437 Posts
I bought my 308MX from Dick's before Sandy Hook and got a great deal on it. I liked the hunting section store associates that worked at that store back then--they knew their stuff. Now everything has changed--the last time I went there--the competent hunting assocates had left. I have followed their lead.

·
Banned
8,177 Posts
I must be a vindictive gun owner then, because that's exactly what I hope happens to Dick's.

Matter of fact, here's the rest of the story.

Their post-Sandy Hook decision so adversely affected their company and their bottom line, that they showed a 2.5-3% drop in sales from their previous year at the same time, and their numbers have continued to decline since. So-much-so that they scrambled to buy naming rights to "Field & Stream" so they could open an off-shoot store of Dick's up in the Pennsylvania/Ohio/Michigan region, (for starters), which does, in fact, sell modern sporting rifles. They are called Field & Stream stores and they don't want anyone to know they are owned by Dick's after Dick's made such a huge deal about ARs after Sandy Hook and put all those people out of jobs who they had contracted with the buy their ARs ... what was the name of that Company? Started with a T. Was it Troy Rifles that they caused to go bankrupt by reneging on their contract?

My Son and I, both avid golfers, have vowed to keep spreading the word about Dick's and about their off-shoot chain of golf stores as well, "Golf Galaxy." We used to buy a lot of ammo, clothes, golf equipment, etc., from Dick's, but we will no more as long as their current CEO is in charge.

Dick's is based outta Pittsburgh, and they definitely have some far leftist progressive views about our country and our Constitution and how things should work. They have a long history of negatively affecting sub-contractors who they agree to do business with, not only suppliers and vendors but those involved in building their stores, etc.

They are not an ethical company to do business with IMHO.
Troy defense is still around as far as I know.And they make a damn good AR.It was just a low life thing that Dick's did to them.The people at Troy defense weren't even notified by Dick's.They were left to figure it out on their own.

·
Super Moderator
9,320 Posts
Stopped in at the Dick's in Chesterfield yesterday because I was in that parking lot and they had some sort of sale on their ammo. When I got in there the entire stock of centerfire ammo of all calibers was contained in two shelf end caps 4' high. I could have put all of it in a shopping cart and still had room for one of those gigantic county fair stuffed bears.

Impressive.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
Troy defense is still around as far as I know.And they make a damn good AR.It was just a low life thing that Dick's did to them.The people at Troy defense weren't even notified by Dick's.They were left to figure it out on their own.
Are they? That's good to know.

Matter of fact, since reading your post, I found more to what went down.

Troy Industries had to lay a ton of people off at the time, thanks to Dick's ... and they had to reorganize, not sure if under bankruptcy protection or not.

But here's the kicker. They have actually signed another deal, now with the Field & Stream outfit owned by Dick's, to once again make rifles for, in essence, Dick's.

Big business makes for strange bedfellows I suppose.

In the meantime, the hypocrisy of Dick's, and their CEO Edward Stack, (- who happens to be the son of Dick Stack who founded the company in 1948 -), their hypocrisy knows no boundaries evidently.

Dick?s to Open Field & Stream Gun Stores, Complete With AR-15 Rifles - The Firearm Blog

They make a big deal after Sandy Hook about evil black rifles, yank them off the shelves, take their time refunding money to customers, put hundreds of people out of work ... but now they sell them through one of their subsidiaries and they are hoping no one notices or connects them to Dick's.

Dick's Sporting Goods subsidiaries:

Golf Galaxy, Inc.
Golfworks
Field & Stream
True Runner
Blue Sombrero

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
A new Field and Stream opened in Altoona PA, which is about a 45 minute drive for me. One of the guys that works in Sporting Goods in Walmart told me how huge the store was and is right across the parking lot from the Altoona Walmart. Anyway, he was impressed with the store. I called them to find out if the had any 35REM ammo (a toll number) I was transferred to Sporting Goods and put on hold. After a minute I hung up. I did a little research later and found out that they are owned by that Facist that is CEO of Dicks. End of story for them.

Mike T.

·
Premium Member
15,403 Posts
I don't shop at dick's because they are .........

It looks to me like the manufacturer's have shifted all production to the main selling calibers, as they seem abundant these days, but .284 Win., .32 Win Spec., ,348 Win., .35 Rem., .356 Win., .38-55, .375 Win & .45-70 have become almost impossible to find.
it appears as if the have put these on the back burner to concentrate on .223, .243, .270, .308 & .30-06

·
Premium Member
11,440 Posts
I agree with all of you. They built a Dicks in Ocala several years ago and I have never set foot in there and don't plan on it either. I do walk through Gander when I have time to waste. I have purchased some ammo and a few other gun related items from Gander but my gun buys are most time used and local gun stores.

Having a family business I believe in supporting the local shops and there is nothing better than building relationships with a small business and them knowing you and you knowing them. I love to stop by and shoot the s--t even if they don't have anything I have not seen before. Other times they are ready for me and show me something they know I will bite on. We have all lost that to some degree and it feels good when you can go back there I think.

·
Banned
8,177 Posts
Are they? That's good to know.

Matter of fact, since reading your post, I found more to what went down.

Troy Industries had to lay a ton of people off at the time, thanks to Dick's ... and they had to reorganize, not sure if under bankruptcy protection or not.

But here's the kicker. They have actually signed another deal, now with the Field & Stream outfit owned by Dick's, to once again make rifles for, in essence, Dick's.

Big business makes for strange bedfellows I suppose.

In the meantime, the hypocrisy of Dick's, and their CEO Edward Stack, (- who happens to be the son of Dick Stack who founded the company in 1948 -), their hypocrisy knows no boundaries evidently.

Dick?s to Open Field & Stream Gun Stores, Complete With AR-15 Rifles - The Firearm Blog

They make a big deal after Sandy Hook about evil black rifles, yank them off the shelves, take their time refunding money to customers, put hundreds of people out of work ... but now they sell them through one of their subsidiaries and they are hoping no one notices or connects them to Dick's.

Dick's Sporting Goods subsidiaries:

Golf Galaxy, Inc.
Golfworks
Field & Stream
True Runner
Blue Sombrero
When Dick's sales were down after 2013 they blamed it on the ammo shortage.Obviosly,they never assumed any responsibility for what they did to their customers.I am sure that if I pre purchased an Ar that was supposed to be delivered by Christmas ,I would be pretty upset when they failed to deliver.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Dicks is more into team logo clothes, soccer mom's, not a store for the serious sportsman, hunting or fishing.

·
Super Moderator
9,320 Posts
Yeah, not much in there I saw that was interesting to an overweight, gray bearded, ******* deer hunter. Well, except those mannequins wearing the leggings and sports bras. :flute:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts