Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you own a Nikon scope and shot game, then you are using it for the wrong sport, Nikon have just removed a advert in GB a Nikon scope targeting a fox, after a complaint from the league against cruel sports. Nikon say that they are used for the sport of target practice, as they don,t want hunters to use them perhaps we should take this into cosideration when purchasing there other products cameras etc.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I doubt very much that Nikon would take this sort of BS action- this is likely an area fop distributor. Nikon knew what they were getting into when they entered the rifle scope business.

I am not dumping any of my Nikon equipment over this. Most of it is collector grade cameras and lenses.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don,t want you to dump your cameras Doc but the statement came from Nikon UK In there words "Nikon would like to apologise for any offence caused and assures you that the advert has been withdrawn" this is from the letter sent to the LACS.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Yep.. there just political correct.... bad for business though.. Smith and Weenies found out if you play with fire you get burnt.. :lol:

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
"Nikon U.K." is an independent wholesale distributor of Nikon equipment, just like Anglophoto ( now "Nikon Canada" ) used to be. This issue has everything to do with the vendor, and not the maker ( Nippon Kogaku K.K. ). With the politically charged situation in G.B. over the fox hunting issue, this occurence is hardly surprising. I've got a Nikon Canada catalogue here showing crosshairs settled on just about every big game animal one could think of. No fox, rabbit, or grouse appear... :roll:

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The problem I have is that the advert appeared in a hunting magazine, so the advert was aimed at hunters so would not offened anyone, if I purchase a camera magazine and wrote to Nikon complaining about scantly clad Girls in there adverts would they remove the advert.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Taff,
The Nerve of Nikon UK! I will not stand for this! I am writting this post after dumping my Nikon scopes in the trash...by the way, Taff, you owe me two Leupold scopes to replace my Nikons. :p

Taff, on a serious note: Have a good holiday my friend.

Regards, Russ

·
Registered
33 Posts
I can see this happening with a Japanese company. Japan is very anti-gun, so their companies just follow suit. Since nearly everything we buy in department stores (Wal Mart is a real good one for this, they are nothing more than an outlet for Chinese made goods) are made outside the USA, the rest of the world has a great influence on what we see as being normal.

I don't own any Nikon scopes, mine are all Leupolds and the same goes for my binoculars. I have looked through the others, but always come back to Leupold. Now, I do own a Canon 35mm camera, which I inherited. Of course, with cameras, I am not sure there are any made in the USA anymore. My calculator...Hewlett Packard...is made somewhere in the far east, as with the radios I own, my TV, VCR and any other electronic gadgit I got laying around.

I don't mean to sound like I am knocking the foreign made goods, but I hate it when I go to buy something and it is made somewhere else, yet still sells for what it would, if made in the USA. The other thing is, I am an American and I feel I should support my fellow citizens. One other thing, I am NOT a member of any Union either, so don't think I have a huge Union influence on my thoughts. I am a college grad with a Bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering. But most of all, I am an American first.

Now I will get off my soapbox...my blood pressure is getting just a little high when discussing this subject.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts