Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a CVA Black Powder Mountain Rifle last summer. With it I bought a Nikon Inline XR 3x9x40. Any reason I couldnt mount the XR to my 45-70 Guide Gun? I have not shot the CVA yet and have the scope sitting around. I pulled the rail off my Rossi 410 and thought I would just mount all this on the GG to play with for a while. Is the XR gonna be off since its set up for Black Powder or will it be fine? It has a 300 yard BDC Retical and although that will probably be off I can check the Nikon site for the velositys Im shooting with the 405gr Remingtons to calculate bullet drop for the new BDC numbers. 100 to 150 yrds will be tops on distance shots.

Hayden.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have been thinking about doing the same thing. I have a Marlin 45-70 that needs a scope, and I have a Bushnell inline scope with the 250bdc reticle on my TC inline. I use two triple 7 pellets and a 340gr bullet in the inline so the velocity should be about the same as the 45-70 around 1,300fps. Please let me know how this works for you.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I have a similar scope, the Nikon Omega Muzzleloader 3x9 scope, on my Ruger No.1 .45-70. Plenty of eye relief and good optical quality. Excellent scope!

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well looky there. Someone HAS done it before. Thanks Slamfire. The XR is going on the Guide Gun this week. I like it because its about an inch shorter than other 3x9s I have. I let you all know how it goes.

Hayden.

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
I bought a CVA Black Powder Mountain Rifle last summer. With it I bought a Nikon Inline XR 3x9x40. Any reason I couldnt mount the XR to my 45-70 Guide Gun? I have not shot the CVA yet and have the scope sitting around. I pulled the rail off my Rossi 410 and thought I would just mount all this on the GG to play with for a while. Is the XR gonna be off since its set up for Black Powder or will it be fine? It has a 300 yard BDC Retical and although that will probably be off I can check the Nikon site for the velositys Im shooting with the 405gr Remingtons to calculate bullet drop for the new BDC numbers. 100 to 150 yrds will be tops on distance shots.

Hayden.
I use the exact same model the BDC 300 on my 45-70 and I am very happy with it. I bought it and mounted it on my CVA wolf 209 magnum but when I bought the 45-70 I mounted the scope on it and I am very happy with it. I never try the BDC part since the farthest I hunt usually is between 75-25 yards. I might find a range sometime that is setup for 100, 150 and 200 to see if the BDC is correct setup on the scope for the 45-70 since I can shoot the same type bullet weight in the 45-70 and my muzzle loader.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I mounted my Bushnell inline scope on my 45-70 today as soon as it stops raining I will go to the range and see how it works.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts