Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I visited a Bass Pro / Cabela’s Saturday 2/8/20 to pick up a few reloading supplies. While there, I took the opportunity to look a a few riflescopes, since there are so many available to check-out in one location. The store has the scopes grouped by manufacturer and there was still a Nikon section even though it’s been known for a while that Nikon is getting out of the scope business.

The store employee assisting me was quick to tell me Nikon was leaving the scope business and I responded that I had heard, but I had also heard they were not going out of business, just re-focusing their business.

The store employee said that was correct, that their Nikon representative told him Nikon was going to keep making optical products, just nothing that was related to or associated with guns.

I had not heard that, so thought I would share here. I will assist Nikon in their desire not to have any of their products related to or associated with guns, but I won’t be getting rid of my guns to engage in that assistance. My only other choice is to separate my Nikon products from me, since I am a gun owner.

·
Premium Member
2,372 Posts
I hate hearing that. I really like nikons rimfire scopes. But if there feeling that ways towards guns, that’s their prerogative. An mine is to buy from another maker.

·
Registered
19,669 Posts
They caved to pressure from the bird watchers and bunny huggers! SCROOOM! My money won't ever go to buyin' any of their future products!

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
You're gonna take the word of a store employee that it was because they didn't want to be associated with guns?
I doubt that, It was prob because the market is flooded with scope manufacturers now and the profit just wasn't there anymore.
From what I've read, Nikon felt it wasn't being competitive in the rifle scope area, but they will continue to manufacture spotting scopes, range finders, and binoculars. While spotting scopes and range finders are not as closely associated with firearms as gun scopes, they're still "fairly close", so to speak.

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
Unless I hear something directly from Nikon that their decision was made because of a stance against guns, I will presume that they made their decision purely for business reasons.

Nikon is not obligated to stay in a market where they are not competitive against the likes of Leupold, Nightforce, Burris, Simmons, Vortex, Redfield, Valdada, Weaver, and Zeiss. And many others...

·
Banned
286 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,077 Posts
I hate hearing that. I really like nikons rimfire scopes. But if there feeling that ways towards guns, that’s their prerogative. An mine is to buy from another maker.
I like my Nikon scope for the 300 BLK as well.
In all likelihood the social justice points are worth more than the gun business since that is pretty much owned by others anyway.

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
Even though guns are not allowed in Japan the Japanese make very good gun products (Howa, Miroku, etc). Many Jap nationals are Pro-Gun and that is one of the first things they want to try out when they visit the U.S (shoot a gun). It would be a surprise to me if it were true that it was an anti-gun decision.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I very much doubt Nikon is leaving the scope business because of any P.C. baloney.
They are consolidating their business and retaining the profitable lines of business.

It is no secret at all, the Big Three camera makers have been taking a sound beating over the last decade.
Nikon and Canon are small fish compared to Fuji and the others, and their photo lines have been suffering a long and ugly decline.

My D850 was over $2800 (on sale), and their lenses are big $$$, all while they are taking a beating from Sony, Sigma and the others.
I have a huge investment in Nikon since 1968.. 35mm, darkroom lenses and large format film lenses.
However, I bought two new Sigma lenses simply because they are flat out sharper lenses than the Nikon.

All my scopes are Leupold.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
10,923 Posts
Their loss! Born from a country destroyed by the Americans on 2 final bombing bombing runs. Always had problems with their cameras anyway.

My Canon takes perfect pics for a neophyte and is named after a BIG GUN! (sorta)

AC

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
with so many scopes being pumped out of the philippines these days I'm sure its hard to compete, seems every time I get a new flyer in the mail or go to sports store theres a new latest greatest brand of scope being offered, all made in the Philippines. I remember going to a bass pro shop during the big shortage era and the guy was trying to sell me a minox scope, shoot man minox makes the cameras for cia spys was my first reaction.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I call BS!!!!

I mean really? ....you have super expensive high end scopes, then Leupold and Nikon.....then you drop to the cheaper stuff of 1000 brands of whatever. Nikon has been #2 in the scope world for YEARS and YEARS. I will bet there are way more Nikons out there of good quality than any other brand sold. I just don't buy the fold up. Bought out maybe? Contracted to make glass for a new brand line?

Personally I have nearly ALL Nikons. Best bargain for quality glass out there for many many years. I think there is a LOT more to the story myself. Guess time will tell.

DR

·
Premium Member
14,293 Posts
I visited a Bass Pro / Cabela’s Saturday 2/8/20 to pick up a few reloading supplies. While there, I took the opportunity to look a a few riflescopes, since there are so many available to check-out in one location. The store has the scopes grouped by manufacturer and there was still a Nikon section even though it’s been known for a while that Nikon is getting out of the scope business.

The store employee assisting me was quick to tell me Nikon was leaving the scope business and I responded that I had heard, but I had also heard they were not going out of business, just re-focusing their business.

The store employee said that was correct, that their Nikon representative told him Nikon was going to keep making optical products, just nothing that was related to or associated with guns.

I had not heard that, so thought I would share here. I will assist Nikon in their desire not to have any of their products related to or associated with guns, but I won’t be getting rid of my guns to engage in that assistance. My only other choice is to separate my Nikon products from me, since I am a gun owner.
Why not keep them? They may be more valuable to collectors after NIKON kneels to the antigunners

1 - 20 of 30 Posts