Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy All -

I got one of the Cross Bolt Safety saddle ring replacement kits from Beartooth. Put it on my 1987 model 336-CS and it looks great. I highly recommend it. I'll post pics when I find my camera, cell phone camera pics look terrible. The saddle ring component uses the OEM detent ball to hold it in place, which I would suggest be redesigned. Instead of using the detent ball, I would prefer a more solid link by drilling and tapping the saddle ring post for the set screw to go straight in to. This would only require a slightly longer set screw. I'm not knocking the product, just suggesting a possible improvement. Pick one up, you'll like it!

http://shop.beartoothmercantile.com/Combination-Safety-Delete-and-Saddle-Ring-Blued-18943333.htm

Ed

·
Registered
353 Posts
Are these strong enough to be functional (can I hang my rifle by the ring and thong?).... They look great and the cool factor is there, and I too have "missed the shot" with the d*** cross bolt safety pushed over so I like the safety replacement. Will they also serve as a saddle ring? rc

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's my concern with using the OEM detent ball to secure it instead of drilling it for the set screw. Note that even if it slipped off the detent ball, it has a screw head stop on the other side (right side of receiver) larger than the saddle ring side (left side of receiver) hole, so it could not actually slip off the rifle. I suggest using locktite on the set screw and right side attaching screw just to be reasonably sure they don't back out. It should be safe to use, but could be a little more secure IMO.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am also considering taking the disassembled receiver to a TIG weld shop and have them tack weld the saddle ring bar from the inside of the receiver. That way it will not affect the outside finish or look. Doesn't need to have a full bead, just a few short ones would be plenty to secure it. Just food for thought.

·
Premium Member
7,659 Posts
If you are worried about it replace the ball with A longer set screw.
Since the safety comes out the other side there is no way to pull the pin out with the ring.
i think you are overthinking this one.

·
Banned
610 Posts
Peoplle are always cussing the crossbolt safety. As an eastern state hunter who never sits astride a horse, I think a saddle ring is useless at best.

But I could be wrong. ;)

·
Registered
522 Posts
mogwai said:
Peoplle are always cussing the crossbolt safety. As an eastern state hunter who never sits astride a horse, I think a saddle ring is useless at best.

But I could be wrong. ;)
Unless you use it for a single point sling to keep your hands free to do something and your rifle handy in the thick stuff.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gaterskiner said:
If you are worried about it replace the ball with A longer set screw.
Since the safety comes out the other side there is no way to pull the pin out with the ring.
i think you are overthinking this one.
This saddle ring inserts on the left side, opposite of how the OEM safety bar comes out. That's the problem, it comes out on the ring side. It does have a screw head attached on the right side that would keep it from coming all the way out but it could slide enough to the left to block the hammer. The set screw hole on the rifle isn't tapped all the way through for a longer set screw to work without tapping the hole, and then you still have the issue of the set screw loosening just enough for the bar to slide to the ring side (left). If the saddle ring bar was drilled where the ball detent is then a set screw could pass through both the receiver and the saddle ring bar, thus holding it firmly to the receiver, and make it impossible to slide out and block the hammer.

·
Premium Member
7,659 Posts
One of my saddle rings came with A longer set screw I had no problem instaling it.
someone here did drill and tap the setcrew to A larger size. For use with A single point sling.
I still think welding is overkill. jmho

·
Registered
845 Posts
I'm going to get one! I already bought there brass follower and it completely cured my jamming problem I don't know how but it did. Dennis

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mine cost $25 shipped, which I thought was a very fair price. I am sincerely happy with mine. Don't let my comments discourage anyone, it's a great setup. You'll be glad you got one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gaterskiner said:
One of my saddle rings came with A longer set screw I had no problem instaling it.
someone here did drill and tap the setcrew to A larger size. For use with A single point sling.
I still think welding is overkill. jmho
I'm going to use it as is for now. If it does loosen up, then I'll consider welding it in place.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Why a Saddle Ring?? Gives you a place to hook an old-fashioned strap...
which means you can Make Water without dropping your gun,
or getting distracted and making it Rain in the wrong place...like ON your rifle...
Best of all, prevents Tree Drop...where you lean your rifle against a post/tree and it falls over for no apparant reason...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts