Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a mild load for deer hunting, Don't need any teeth shattering or dislocated shoulder loads.:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
I found that hornady leverevolution 325 grain light on the shoulder. My rifle loves them though and does 1-2 inch groups at 100 yds probably do better if I didnt have the quivers from a stroke .

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have found good results with Laser Cast 405 flatnose, .459 over between 29.5 and 31.5 grains of AA-5744. Winchester, Remington, or Starline brass. Standard large rifle primer. Crimped safely for
lever magazine.

My guide gun likes anything cast close to .459. This hard cast bullet can be pushed up to 1500 fps without a gascheck. 1150fps to 1300fps is potent whitetail fodder, easy on the old bones and I can get better than MOA of small paper plate at 100 yards with XS ghost site...bob

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm sorta in the same boat. Heres what I've got goin on.
My dad bought some Laser-cast .45/70 350 gr pre lubed boolits at Cabelas a couple of weeks ago. Now guess who he wants to load em up? I've looked fer data but its hard to find. Found one load listed fer this bullet on handload.com. I've emailed the Co. that makes them but I'm always lookin fer more info afore I start. He is shootin a Marlin 1985 SS but fer him I'd like to start in the trapdoor range and move up from there to see where he can handle it. Also how much different is it to load cast instead of jacketed? Is there extra steps or precautions I need to be aware of? Usin RCBS loadin dies and have a LEE FCD to go with it.
Thanks Guys!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
Here's a trapdoor level load I used in my Marlin 1895 and it works okay in my Sharps.

Bullet: Lee 340gr FN PB Cast
Firearm: Marlin 1895 22 inch barrel.
Powder: 33grs. RL-7
Velocity: 1333fps. Avg 3 shots

Temp: 74-76 degrees

Accurate...100yd cast bullet deer hunting load.

·
Registered
805 Posts
40 grains of Varget and a 405 Rem. FSP in Rem. brass and primers is a sweet shooting, accurate combination for me.

Keith

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Now I haven't hunted NY State whitetails in many years, so I really do not think that you would need a 405 grain bullet.

My favorite Trapdoor level load is Remington 300 grain HP, WLR primer, and 24 to 25 grains (depending on which rifle the rounds are loaded for) of SR4759. This load and the right light, my Browning 1886 will print 5 into about 1 1/4" group at 100 yards. My Lone Star Rolling Block will do about the same.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I had the same questions a few months ago. I have the same 350 grain lead bullets that I picked up and Cabelas. I was looking for something that would be pleasant to shoot, be accurate and also take down a deer. I had several people tell me 14 grains of unique under the 350 grain lead bullet would do the trick. I can tell you that this load is accurate and not hard on the shoulder. As far as it taking down a deer, I haven't had the chance to try that part yet.

Jim

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I tried a load last weekend that was mild, and very accurate.

Starline brass
39 grains H4198
CCI 200 primer
Hornady 300 grain HP.

Mid-lower 1600s for velocity, 17 ft-lbs recoil, and 1½" groups at 100 yards, still maintains enough velocity for expansion out to about 200 yards.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
For a mild to mid load it's hard to beat the old Rem. 405gr JSP over H4198 or Varget & it doesn't take a case full to get to 1400fps.
Both great powders in the .45-70. :tee:

·
Registered
120 Posts
I use lead 405 grn and like my lod light push on the shoulder ,,,i am not a fan of recoil

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Starline cases (my 405gr tombstone boolits) Winchester LRP's and 46gr of IMR-3031 = about 1460fps
Same components and 26gr of 2400

Doc

·
Registered
380 Posts
If you don't mind the clean up, I've had outstanding results with the 405 grain lee 459 hollow base (40:1) over 53 grains of 3F goex. I've clocked it at 1250 fps out of my trapdoor and you'll most likely see around 1100 out of a 22 inch barrel. Mild recoil, limited smoke and the bullet mushrooms like a champ. It knocked the slats out from under a small whitetail that mistakenly crossed my path.

Due to the soft lead you can keep your loads to the trapdoor loads in the accurate manual for AA5744 and you'll see a bit more velocity without leading or clean up.

I just perfer the smell of using a cartridge with what it was designed to use.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
If you want mild, get a 308 of other girlie caliber.
Most store boughts are way nastier than they need to be.

If I were not making the best rounds in the world for my 45/70s, Id go with the 325 lever evo round. Good and weenie, yet nice smack down.

Me I use:

.459 500gr Postel cast Wheel Weights, water dropped
70gr 3f holy black
CCI BR primer

Or what the army callled them: 45/70/500

and a big smile when my arm still moves when Im done

Reactions: Joshua M.

·
Registered
225 Posts
That is why some want a lighter load...nit that they're weines but the heavy loads it is possible that it can break somethin or if its pushin agianst a metal bar you feel it more. ALOT more. But you still love shootin it so ya want a load that'll humanly kill what yer after and still be able to clean it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts