Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for having me , I have been reloading since 1980 and love the 45/70 too. My best load for just plinking is a 405 grain hard cast bullet , yes I cast my own with a charge of IMR 3031 36.0 grain moving around 1200 to 1300 fps . I can shoot this all day long . Im looking forwards to asking a lot of questions and picking everyones thoughts too. Again thanks for having me Alan

·
Super Moderator
36,503 Posts
Welcome from the marshes of south Louisiana.
Thanks to the pandemic, I finally did shoot my 1895GS this past Sunday with factory 300gr ammo. It's a 2003 born Marlin.
Reed instrument Automotive tire Wind instrument Automotive exhaust Bumper

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners from NE Indiana Alan.

I have cast a lot of round ball for my muzzle loaders but never bullets. I have been thinking about taking the plunge.

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
Howdy and welcome to the forum from the Panhandle of Texas, glad to have you join in. I like the 45-70 myself. Sounds like you will fit right in...

·
Registered
996 Posts
I have been reloading since 1980 and love the 45/70 too. My best load for just plinking is a 405 grain hard cast bullet , yes I cast my own with a charge of IMR 3031 36.0 grain moving around 1200 to 1300 fps . I can shoot this all day long . I'm looking forwards to asking a lot of questions and picking everyone's thoughts too.
Alan - Welcome from Western Tennessee. There's a lot of good folks here and knowledge/experience to share.
I too am a bullet caster and for my 1895 Cowboy, I cast a ~300 gr. bullet for plinking and I use Trail Boss with that bullet at +/-1,200 fps. It's a great load for "woods walking". My 405 gr. load utilizes XMP 5744 for a velocity of a little over 1,400 fps. That load pretty much drops pigs or deer on the spot.
Again - Welcome to the forum.

WYT-P
Skyhunter

·
Super Moderator
16,119 Posts
Welcome to marlinowners.com from an Old Soldier in Olympia, WA; in the Great Pacific Northwest - "The Original 444 Marlin®" Country! Hooaaahhhh!!!

·
Registered
10,034 Posts
Welcome from Central NYS !

1 - 20 of 20 Posts