Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riflemen:

Well my son is the proud owner of a 336C in .35 Remington. I bought it for him when he told me that he was going to get one for next season. He decided he wanted to give it a try as he does like the looks of mine and one he borrows from a friend. I know that he is working hard but he has a new house - his first - inmind and cash is a touch short, or should I say committed. He was very happy!

Checked the 336 over and it appeared to be reasonable in quality, i.e. wood to metal fit, bluing, good wood and grain. Paid $349 plus tax and shipping. Got a friend at work with a FFL who got it for me. Also picked him up 6 boxes of cartridges (2 boxes each of Federal, Winchester, and Remington) Total bill for everything including tax and shipping was $460.60. I thought that this was a good price for a new 336.

The lad is going to shoot the rifle and save his brass for me to reload for him. Looking forward to shooting together and trying for another bear this fall. Long live the .35!

GOOD SHOOTING! :D Range Finder

G

·
I can't think of a better way to get him decked out than with a Mod 336 in any caliber. You did good, dad. It will last him his life time, the be there for kids and grandkids.

Hope you become a regular on this board!

SS

G

·
I just got an older 336 in 35 rem, older meaning no lawyer button. :) It's 'down south' so I can use it in TX when I visit my son. Gonna hunt hogs and venison with it.

Just had to get one, don't know why, it was calling my name, can't wait to shoot it.

Have plenty of throw weight for Alaska, and now I don't have to transport 'em when I visit.

eeeeeHaaaaaaw

Grizz

·
Registered
356 Posts
Good deal Range Finder - I am sure you and your son will have enough fun!

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'm doing the same for my brother. He jealously eyed my .35 while deer/hog hunting in Ga. this past fall. He lives in Nevada, and it is much more convienent/less expensive to fly and use my spare truck when coming here to hunt. Next year he can leave the pre'64 mod70 and 4x4 ext.cab Dodge truck in LasVegas, fly here for ~$200 round trip, and use "his" .35. I missed one last year for $145 with ancient 4x Weaver. It was "ugly", but thats all the better as it'll be hunted hard and "put up wet till cleaning time. Haven't gotten " his" yet, but I'm confident I'll find another "beater" for less than $200.

He's seen the .35rem in action several times. Even he acknowledges that for under 150yds, it's a superior "package" to his mod70 in .308. Especially with my 200gr Rem Cor-lokts at upwards of 2,200fps. From the .35, these perform as well or better than his .308 with his favorite 150gr Nosler Part.'s.

Not trying to throw cold water on your $460.00 deal. For a "New" gun, and all that factory ammo thats about what you'll have to pay. Only in my neck of the woods, used .35's aren't hard to come by, and reloading components are readily available, and spent cases are common on public ranges in Oct. A good clean used 336 in .35 will run ~$250.00. They're a bit more than the .30/30's as there are numerous "economy" versions of the .30/30, but only the "upscale" version is avaliable in .35Rem.

You'll enjoy that .35. Whatever you paid for it will be long forgotten after you put down your first deer/hog with it. Besides that, if your grandchildren have any sense, they'll enjoy it too!

G

·
Glad to hear more .35 owners are getting there friends and family hooked on this wonderful cartridge. Happy hunting, and stay tuned as I am headed down to south Texas to shoot some hogs with .35; Buffalo Bore's heavy .35, 220's headed out at 2200fps. They are real hogs killers, but I've had great success with the good old Core-lockts for many years as well.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
A really thoughtful gift Rangefinder! I'm sure knowing it came from his dad will make it that much better!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts