Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My guide gun is on the way. 45-70. Can anyone give me the a list of the bare minimum equipment I need to reload RIGHT? I'm not looking for pliers, hammer and a table basics. I'm looking for:
1. Good priced press. Single stage. I won't be doing enough for a progressive.
2. Other tools? Scales? How do I do this on a budget and still be safe?

Thanks in advance.

(I think fedex is going to IP ban me, I keep hitting refresh on the tracking trying to make my gun get here faster.)

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'd start with the following items which are probably the minimum to get going:

A good single stage "O type" press like the RCBS Rockchucker
A good scale, you can't go wrong with a beam scale
A powder trickler
A powder thrower
A good set of dies.
A Lee Autoprime primer tool (the press mounted primer tools are a hassle.)
Spray case lube like Dillon case lube

Eventually, you'll want a trimmer and other little tools that make the job easier, but you'll figure that out along the way.

I'm partial to RCBS for my equipment but most brands are pretty good. I personally would avoid the "complete reloading kits" that some places sell, often you don't get enough of what you need, or you get junk you won't need and will have no use for. Don't go cheap, you get what you pay for.

Here are some good links for cheap prices. Shop around.

www.lockstock.com

www.midwayusa.com

www.cabelas.com

www.grafs.com

Oh, and you will absolutely need at least one reloading manual. The more sources you have to reference, the safer your loads will be. If you are new to reloading, find an experienced reloader to help you if you can. Most people would be glad to help you. Beware of the verbal "good loads" many will try to push on you. You'll hear something like, "Yeah, I'm getting 4000 fps and 1/2" groups at 500 yards with this bullet and XXXgrains of powder." Only you can be responsible for your own safety, and while most are well meaning, do yourself the favor of cross checking any load with reloading books before you load and shoot them. Also, many of the major powder companies have good starting loading data.

Be safe, have fun, and let us know how your shooting and reloading go.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
abrogado said:
Hi all,

My guide gun is on the way. 45-70. Can anyone give me the a list of the bare minimum equipment I need to reload RIGHT? I'm not looking for pliers, hammer and a table basics. I'm looking for:
1. Good priced press. Single stage. I won't be doing enough for a progressive.
2. Other tools? Scales? How do I do this on a budget and still be safe?

Thanks in advance.

(I think fedex is going to IP ban me, I keep hitting refresh on the tracking trying to make my gun get here faster.)

Dial Calipers (Frankford Arsenal) ....20.00

Powder Trickler (Hornady from Midway) ....9.00

Cartridge Tray (to keep your rounds upright).....approx 5.00

dont forget the factory crimp die for the 45-70, it's needed to keep the oal in line with all the recoil. And yes, it is necessary. I had a few rounds shrink with just two shots. the remaining rounds in the mag took a punching.

If you check the Midway catalog you will see that Lee is offering a combo price on the cartridge tray and lube pad for cheap. It's a minor thing but will help.

Perferator

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
I would recomend Lyman Dies because their expander works great.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
The Lee kits are low cost, complete and serviceable:

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/820810

Add a set of Lee Pacesetter dies:

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/818681

And a case length gauge:

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/561455

And you are in business for about $100.

You can clean your cases in a 50/50 water and white vinegar solution, so no need to buy a tumbler right away. A set of cheap dial calipers will be handy for checking OAL and such. A couple of extra manuals to supplement the one Lee includes in the kit are a sound investment too.

G

·
Before you buy an "O" frame press, take a look at the Lee Turret press, I use mine as a single-stage, but it lets you set up your dies and then forget about them, no need to screw them in and out of the press all the time. Changing calibers takes about ten seconds, and if you load one caliber, so much the better. I deprime the cases after cleaning, reprime with a Lee Auto-Prime, flare the necks and drop powder on the press, then seat and crimp on the last two dies. That way I can go faster than a single-stage, but still check every case and powder charge. It's worked for me for twenty+ years, well over 100,000 rounds. And I get to load a bunch more next week! :D
Papajohn

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I think Pottsy is selling these things! :)

Hey, I'm ordering the Lee Turret 4hole kit this monday for the same reasons. I'd suggest leaving the powder measure alone and measuring each load to the granule for accuracy and work-up. If you are shooting undermax loads for plinking fun then the powder measure will shine as you can load them like pistola rounds.

Perferator

G

·
Pottsy-What's up with the swage thing.I don't swage and don't want to swage.Have you swaged today?I haven't.But I do have some Good reliable bullets like Nosler-Kodiak-Hornady-Speer Unicore- 550-Crater's and even a couple 405 Remmington factory loads with a couple boxes of Buffalo Bores 350 grain.

Why would I want to swage?Can you swage a better bullet than those? :lol:

Best of luck to ya over thare in Oregon.Jayco.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I'll be making my decision and buying this weekend.

Pottsy...any relation to F. E. supercub guru and web pioneer?

·
Registered
275 Posts
You also need a bullet puller. I reccomend the the inertial type ( the type that looks like a hammer). This comes in handy when you are adjusting your seating/crimping dies.

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
Martin-Geez alittle testy today arn't ya?I give up and agree if you promise not to post something like that again.I am still dizzie from scrolling down to answer.Jayco.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
jaycocreek said:
Martin-Geez alittle testy today arn't ya?I give up and agree if you promise not to post something like that again.I am still dizzie from scrolling down to answer.Jayco.

Remind not to ask him for a phone number if the name is smith. :wink:

Perferator

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yea

All that and he never answered on of my questions?

Hehe...seems like a character. Most likely fun to swap stories with...

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
I started reloading again, after a 30 year lay off, and bought the RCBS Rock Chucker kit. It contains most of what you need except the dies and I agree get a lee factory crimp die. So far as manuels, I purchased the RCBS load cd and it has fifteen manuals in it. As well as drawings calculators and a whole bunch of other stuff and is all on one cd you can download onto your computer then put the cd away for when the computer fails. PS you can buy other electronic manuals and add to those that come with it as well. It was under $100 and you couldn't buy the manuals for anywhere near that price.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Yes I started about 6 months ago, I have about 14 sets of dies and 8 or 9 different powders, currently acquiring some molds to do a little bit of cast for some of my old rifles. May even have to try swaging at some point. Since I like the old rifles and a couple of wildcats it was reload or don't shoot some of them and that would be a shame.

G

·
The Lee Factory Crime Die is important...probably most here use it.

Get a hand prime tool... I made the mistake of buying the least costly ones first...they now reside with others and the only one to have is the Hornady...its a very quality tool.

Press's...way too many choises ! cast iron rather than aluminum, yes

ya might look at the ones offered from Redding, very quality products. its one of those "ya get what ya pay for" items.

Lock Stock & Barrel is a good outfit to deal with and competive pricing ....never had a backorder, Nebraska I believe..

www.lockstock.com

1 - 20 of 20 Posts