Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot my new 1895 last week with factor REM 405s and I thought it was pleasant. I ordered dies and 3031 and laser cast 350gr.
Using their data i loaded 6 at 46gr, 6 at 46.5, 6 at 47, 6 at 47.5 and 6 at 48. They ALL kicked alot more than the factory 405s. I am sure these loads are not even considered HOT but my shoulder is killin me. Can you load down further or move to slow 405 to reduce recoil and still shoot pigs inside of 80 yards? Yes, I know I am a weenie!

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Take a look at the velocity info for your loads. They're probably a lot faster than the REM 405 rounds you bought. The Rem's are safe for Trapdoor Springfields. Much lighter loading than what you described for your handloads.

·
Registered
116 Posts
You're not a weenie. :mad: The sore shoulder is part of the fun! Somebody posted some "powder puff" loads that I ran across yesterday, somewhere in the 1300 fps range. They used it as their "plinking" load. But for the life of me I can't remember which post it was. I would load backward in increments from your starting load of 46 grains and go from there. You may need to even switch powders, something with a little more volume/less weight. Helps keep your velocity consistent.

You sound pretty motivated about developing loads and shooting your 1895. BUY A CHRONOGRAPH !!!! I ordered one from Midway USA, love it. Simple operation, easy to use. I would give you the link but they seem to be having some issues with their server at the moment. Anyway, I ordered the Pro-Chrono Chronograph. It was around $120. I found it much easier to operate and read than the Chrony Brand. And it comes with a great, easy to use instruction manual. And it has all kinds of optional bells and whistles. Go to a second hand store and find a tri-pod to mount it on. I actually found a nice one yesterday for $6.50, fully adjustable and much better than using a table.

But get a chrony and start looking at your velocities. Work them down to comfortable range for you. Switch to lighter bullets and get velocities back up if you want. Velocity means energy. Any way you look at it, these bullets are big enough that no matter what you hit, they're going to do lots of damage. 8)

And remember, when you're hunting, you're not going to go through a box of ammo. If you do, you're either a really bad shot or you live somewhere with a huge bag limit. And those shots aren't going to come one after the other after the other.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
For lighter loads a lot of guys use Unique and 2400 powders. I use 25 gr. 2400 with the 405 gr. Rem. FP and 30 gr. 2400 with the 300 gr. Rem. HP. Both are wonderfully accurate and fairly light and CHEAP loads. Can't remember offhand the charge weights for Unique.

Hip

1 - 5 of 5 Posts