Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently purchased a Marlin 1894s in .44 Mag. It is a used gun, made @ 1970 (date based upon a coin inserted into buttstock that says "Marlin 1870-1970"). I am no novice when it comes to guns in general or lever guns either. I tried to chamber .44 Specials from the mag tube, but they jammed the action. Am I right in quessing that vintage Marlins cannot interchange .44 Spec/.44 Mag ammo? This is my first Marlin. What opinions do any of you have on the Microgroove rifling? A gentleman I was talking to in the gun shop told me he like the microgroove Bbls vs. the old Ballard rifling of older Marlins. He felt that they were more accurate. The rifle I bought is in like new condition with a pristine bore. Using quality ammo, what kind of groups are the average for this rifle? Any opinions would be helpful. TIA.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To my way of thinking they should work :? Have you tried 44 mags to see if they cycle alright. Seems to me the speciel stuff should go thru as easy if not easier :!:

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you want to check the date of manufacture, have a look in the Reference Material section of this forum. There are two posts there which explain how to get the year from the serial number.

Have you checked the overall length of the 44 specials? If they are too short then they will not feed correctly.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Where is your jam occurring? My .44 Mag c1978 did not like to feed .44 Spl reliably. The cartridge rim would come out far enough that it would get caught on top of the carrier and just outside of the magazine. In a fit of pique I gave the lever a good whack and broke the carrier pin. The replacement came only as a carrier assembly with different part number. I don't know if there was a re-design on the carrier but after replacement it feeds the .44 Spl as smooth as silk.
Jim

·
Registered
1 Posts
My jam is occurring the same way eisenmetzger described, however it jams with .44 Mag as well. Back to the dealer it went today. Of course, he will fix it pro bono. Does anyone out there know exactly what needs to be done?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sarge, check the reference section as FredH mentioned. If you're comfortable doing it yourself it has the instructions. I opted to replace the carrier (one of the fixes listed). A new carrier from the factory is fairly inexpensive. I think that my carrier assy cost about $25.00 from Marlin. Keep us posted on what your seller does for the repair.
Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts