Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On photos of antique Marlins I sometimes see what appears to be a small thumb screw that apparently catches the small lip on the end of the lever. Was this some kind of safety?

I'm in the process of restocking an ordinary Marlin 1894C with a high comb shotgun stock, installing a steel buttplate, thinning the carbine forend, and replacing the crossbolt safety and maybe putting on a new front sight. A winter woodworking project. Anyway, since I'm doing all that, I thought it would look kind of cool to install one of these thumb screw whatchamacallits. Hopefully they really existed and I'm not just seeing things.

Does anybody sell them? I can't find a thing. How were they made?

Thanks,

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Mystery solved.

Mystery solved (if anybody cares). After checking with Steve's Guns and Cosby's, I learned that the thumb screws you see on the ends of some early Marlin finger levers were simply to keep the lever from flopping around when the gun was carried. When 1894 rolled around, they installed a spring loaded detent to hold the lever up. Puttng a thumb screw on the end of an 1894 lever, while it might look cool, isn't accurate.

So it seems the only way I can get my "thumb screw Marlin" is to buy me an 1881. :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts