Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy ladies & gents,

I haven't joined the Marlin owners club yet but I'm looking to acquire a .30-30 in the near future which I plan to use on javelina next spring (if I'm drawn). I know .30-30 is more gun than you need for javelina but it makes a good excuse to get one :).

I went around to a few pawn shops at random today and found a couple of used 336's. One was serial no. 71 20xxxx. Looked pretty good on the outside, I didn't have a bore light with me to look down the bore. From what I've gleaned here while lurking I think this gun was made in 1971? They had it marked $265. I don't know if pawn shops here in Phoenix haggle, but what would be a fair price to offer them? If they don't haggle is $265 an OK deal? A brand new 336W at Wally world is only $10 more :).

At another shop I saw one serial no 25xxxxxx which I think means it was made in 1975. They had it marked $269. I liked the 71 better (and the attitude of the shop too, for that matter).

Further down the road I want to save my pennies for a 336 Cowboy in .38-55 :).

Any opinions are welcome :)

G

·
If its at a pawn shop for $265 I'd be willing to bet the guy doesn't have over $125 in it tell him you will give him $200 cash and see where it goes :!: I f the gun looks good inside and out $265 isn't bad at all :) But anything you can trim pricewise is good also :wink:

·
Registered
555 Posts
JayinAZ
Welcome aboard......
Most pawn shops will haggle with you if you have cash in hand.But if there was only a $ 10 price differents between a used one and a new one.I would be javelina hunting with a new 336 this spring.For $ 10 more you get a new rifle with the warranty.
just my 2 cents worth..

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Welcome Jay, and yes you're right; it was made in 1971. Pull up a chair, and make yourself comfortable!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks gentlemen,

If he still has it in 3 weeks I'll try to get it for $200. Any well known problems I should check it for?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Just something to keep in mind.

The 336W has different wood stock than thte 336C. I think the 2003 catalog listed it as "hardwood" and comes with a sling and also lists it as "economical" version.

The 336C has Black Walnut hardwood and costs more money than the 336W even without a sling.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the economical version. I just wanted you to be aware of this difference. The Black Walnut just seems prettier to me and the used rifle may have the "better wood".

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, the wood on the 336W is definitely inferior to the walnut examples I saw today. The sights were nicer though. I'll probably add a Marble's tang sight though, so I'm not too worried about what comes in the dovetail.

Other than those differences, and of course the new-fangled safety, I assume they are pretty much the same rifle, right?

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Jay,

Stop! Count to ten and take a deep breath before you buy a Marlin! It's addictive as heck, and there's no cure!! :shock: First you get a common, garden-variety 336. Fine. Then you come across a 36 in 32 spl, say, and it looks so cool you have to have it, too! Then someone has to sell a 93 in 32-40 cheap and it follows you home, too! Then you buy dies. Then you buy special bullets. Each puchase begets five others!! You lay awake nights trying to decide what your next one will be! It's hopeless!!

But dang, ain't it fun!! :D :D SW

G

·
NebrHogger said:
Jay,

Stop! Count to ten and take a deep breath before you buy a Marlin! It's addictive as heck, and there's no cure!! :shock: First you get a common, garden-variety 336. Fine. Then you come across a 36 in 32 spl, say, and it looks so cool you have to have it, too! Then someone has to sell a 93 in 32-40 cheap and it follows you home, too! Then you buy dies. Then you buy special bullets. Each puchase begets five others!! You lay awake nights trying to decide what your next one will be! It's hopeless!!

But dang, ain't it fun!! :D :D SW
If you get forced into buying a terrible old 1893 in 32-40 , call me I'll help out and buy it so you aren't forced to 8) 8) 8) :!: I mean what are friends for :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Jay,

first of all I would like to say hi and welcome aboard. Now listen to these guys as they talk from experience. These Marlins are very addictive :wink: I'm sure the pawn shop will haggle but consider this also. The 336 is a legend, classic and just all around great firearm. I know the urge is to buy NOW but if you have $265 to pay your over halfway to the 336CB in the 38/55 you want which will go great with the marble tang you want to put on the gun. :lol: After picking this up and feeling in your hands one of the finest rifles made the ADDICTION will hit you like nothing else will and next thing you'll want a big bore not because you need one but just because you have this feeling that you can't explain :shock:

Good luck and good shootin'

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
JayinAZ,

Welcome to a nice little site with lots of good folks and great Marlin information. Just one word of advise though. Watch out for that scoundrel TubbyTheTuba! :wink:

Dave :lol:

·
Registered
131 Posts
JayinAZ,
I thought a little about it and I think you ought to get both. That way you could compair them and know which one was really better. Then, you could modify the one you like least into a "trapper" or AI and you would like it as well if not more.

If you think that is odd, run. Dont buy anything. You will start thinking weird also. Welcome aboard.
PB

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pappa Bear,

That is an excellent idea, unfortunately budget contraints dictate a slower approach :).

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
VTDW said:
JayinAZ,

Welcome to a nice little site with lots of good folks and great Marlin information. Just one word of advise though. Watch out for that scoundrel TubbyTheTuba! :wink:

Dave :lol:
Welcome, JayinAZ............Don't believe a word Dave sez....his hobby is illegal in 17 states an he's wanted in 15 of those. Shameful :p

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
This Marlin thing can be addicting.

I just brought home today a brand new 336C in 35 Rem.

Then on another forum (beartooth) big-bore levergun area

http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=15448

I found out it is possible to shoot 410 shotgun shells through the 444 Marlin. Or at the very least you can re-load 444 Brass with shot.

That is way cool!

I can see my next Marlin now!!!!!!!! :twisted:

G

·
I found out it is possible to shoot 410 shotgun shells through the 444 Marlin.
I have done this. They chamber a little hard, but they're fun to shoot. At 15 feet they make 2 concentric circles of shot on a piece of plywood, the larger one about 6 inches in diameter. Did this a number of times and the results pretty close every time....... 2 circles of holes thru the ply...........

Had to find some way to use up all the old .410s I had laying around.....

Grizz

PS: I don't think I would try that with steel shot.............

1 - 19 of 19 Posts